Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker yes or no

jellyb

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put one on my Open gun after adding the thumb shield. Now I am dependant upon it. If is ever shoot a Limited gun again, I'll install both a thumb rest and a slide racker.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by ramairbrc

Are slide rackers needed? No. Do they have their advantages? Yes. Having said that, many men made GM without running a slide racker. I have been shooting open since 1999 without one. If I had enough material on the back of my slide, I would probably have one installed. Convenience and all. As far as lifting the gun off the table, thumb rests or scope mounted kick-stands work just fine. Generally speaking, if your gun runs 100%, the only time you should be racking the slide is on Make Ready and Show Clear. Run the gun dry, poor round count management. Gun jams, poor ammo or gun/mag issues. Racker is not the cause or solution of those problems. In the end, is it the Indian or the Arrow that makes a good shooter? Pretty sure The Great One could beat most of us using a Derringer left handed. Slide rackers are cool, but not NEEDED. (flame suit on)

Edited by MadBomber

Are slide rackers needed? No. Do they have their advantages? Yes. .......................................................Slide rackers are cool, but not NEEDED. (flame suit on)

OK, so why not have one, if it helps even occasionally?

I fail to see any DISadvantage to having one.

Are slide rackers needed? No. Do they have their advantages? Yes. .......................................................Slide rackers are cool, but not NEEDED. (flame suit on)

OK, so why not have one, if it helps even occasionally?

I fail to see any DISadvantage to having one.

Just to play devil's advocate here:

It can get caught on ports, walls, clothes. (I've seen shooters break front sights on ports, and those typically protrude from the slide by what, .18 inches? How far to most rackers stick out?)

It may require you to alter your holster position (depending on size/orientation).

It adds reciprocating mass.

Some people (esp. with larger hands) keep thumbs high enough on the gun that they have had issues with contact while shooting.

That said, I am having one installed on my (probably) 9 Major build. :ph34r:

Not because they can't run, but because I will run whatever brass I can find (at least for locals and practice) and load the morning of the match (no QC).

For 3gun nation matches they are almost a necessity, especially if you use a 90deg Cmore mount. I will admit that my first match with my new 2011 I stalled the slide once in a stage by running my thumb too high. BUT, so many stages in 3GN matches start chamber empty now (due to the possibility of going prone with a rifle if allowed) that fumbling around under the Cmore will kill your times. For USPSA matches where the only time you run the gun dry is when you make a mistake, I don't know that it makes that much difference. I can't reach my slide stop without changing my grip anyway, so I use high capacity followers that don't lock the slide back. So any time I accidentally run the gun dry I am fumbling for the serrations without a racker.

I am a right handed shooter but have a racker on the right side. I set it up that way because I thought I might have a problem with clearance between my belt. As it turned out it would not have been a problem but now I'm used to it on the right side. I never thought about interference with the C-more in a canted mount but that is a good reason for right side mount.

just start shooting open and I don't have one! really don't see the need for it.

Look at the mechanics of an unloaded table start. In open it is all about time. A slide racker is faster-key in on the position of the gun during each operation--jam, light primer, loading to an empty gun.

I have one on both open guns and would do it again. They are great for table starts. Someone mentioned a thumb rest does the same. Actually with the thumb rest my gun falls to the back without a racker and points up. I also have large hands and a zigracker does not come close to my thumb/knuckle.

Edited by echotango

You'll be at a disadvantage without one! It definitely helps during a "table-starts" and is makes it much easier to quickly clear a stubborn/bulged round that wouldn't chamber.

The only reason for a right-hand shooter to put it on the right side (which is cumbersome to rack) is so you don't have to remove it to field strip for cleaning.

Remember, the gun should be setup to be efficient to shoot, not efficient to clean. Put the racker on the left.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll be at a disadvantage without one! It definitely helps during a "table-starts" and is makes it much easier to quickly clear a stubborn/bulged round that wouldn't chamber.

The only reason for a right-hand shooter to put it on the right side (which is cumbersome to rack) is so you don't have to remove it to field strip for cleaning.

Remember, the gun should be setup to be efficient to shoot, not efficient to clean. Put the racker on the left.

Moot point with SVI mounts. :)