Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullet 147 gr

1sickPuppy

I had the same thing with 147 up to 150. It was on a sample pack. I am working on the 135 right now. I ran a load today 135s 3.8 gr WFS,1.130 aol CZ spo1, 129PF I may bump it up a little It was 50 and cloudy in pa.

I did weigh a few and did measure a few once.

With the kind of shooting I'm doing I don't think it's going to affect my A zone/ minute of A zone Level of Accuracy.

I stopped measuring ...... And said to myself "I am not a bench rest shooter I never will be"

I trust the blue guys.

Btw. The blue bullet 147 flat point is my all time favorite

I use the 147 blue bullets (sized .358) in my revolver short colt loads ... I have tested several out of every batch I received and all have been between 149.5 and 150 ... :closedeyes:

edit: ... don't forget ... you get a discount there if you tell them you are a member of the Enos forums ...

Edited by pete627

I had the same thing with 147 up to 150. It was on a sample pack. I am working on the 135 right now. I ran a load today 135s 3.8 gr WFS,1.130 aol CZ spo1, 129PF I may bump it up a little It was 50 and cloudy in pa.

Wingnut how our liking 135's, I just switched over, and finding them very accurate,and can load 135's longer oal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sometimes it is a good thing they weigh more. At this year's Revolver Nationals if my bullet had not weighed 160.8 I would have not made minor 125.5 PF. At home 132 PF best I can figure my powder drop changed. Next year check one twice and three times.

I would like to hear your opinion on the 135gr also. I currently load 135gr Bayou, but these seem a little cheaper with the discount! Also I have always loaded RN in the past. Thanks!

This is a bit off-topic, but I have been working up a load with Blue Bullets, trying to decide between 147, 125 and 115 gr (all RN). I measured the OAL on all rounds I loaded, and there was a much higher standard deviation with 147. I was going for 1.130 OAL, and had a spread of 1.125 - 1.135 with 147 gr. For 115 gr, the OALs were spot on (1.129 - 1.131 OAL). Maybe this is related to the variation in bullet mass (I did not weigh the bullets)?

This is a bit off-topic, but I have been working up a load with Blue Bullets, trying to decide between 147, 125 and 115 gr (all RN). I measured the OAL on all rounds I loaded, and there was a much higher standard deviation with 147. I was going for 1.130 OAL, and had a spread of 1.125 - 1.135 with 147 gr. For 115 gr, the OALs were spot on (1.129 - 1.131 OAL). Maybe this is related to the variation in bullet mass (I did not weigh the bullets)?

More likely your seating die doesn't like that bullet profile. Are you loading mixed brass? That will cause a variation in OAL. I get around a .005" variation in OAL when loading mixed brass regardless of bullet type/profile.

Also, I'm not sure about others, but the 147gr RN Blue Bullets I've tried did not have a large variation in weight, they were consistently around 149gr.

Yeah ... (IMHO) ... that's way too much variance in OAL on your 147 load.

I had a short colt load using the 147s (pretty close on case volume to a 9mm ... and the bullets were sized .358 ... but ...). At 1.17 OAL I was averaging 808fps and dropping the load OAL down to 1.16 (only 10/1000) boosted it to 832fps (24fps difference average).

If you are experiencing that kind of spread in OAL just on the 147s I would see if something is going on with your bullet seating die plunger (although you would think this wouldn't be an issue since they are all RN).

Are you loading mixed brass? That will cause a variation in OAL. I get around a .005" variation in OAL when loading mixed brass regardless of bullet type/profile.

You going you have to explain this one to me Southpaw. I don't see how mixed brass would cause OAL variation if the seater die is consistently seating them at the same depth.

You going you have to explain this one to me Southpaw. I don't see how mixed brass would cause OAL variation if the seater die is consistently seating them at the same depth.

I've seen this discussed before and I don't think anyone really had a good explanation...yet it does happen. Try it and see. I've found Winchester brass loads the longest, Federal the shortest, and everything else somewhere in between. Not a huge difference, but load 10 with WIN brass and then ten with FC and compare average OAL.

ETA: I was just doing some reloading anyway so decided to do a little test. Not as large a difference as I think I've seen in the past, but you can see the Winchester is consistently longer than the Federal. This wasn't done with Blue Bullets as I'm out of them.

a8AxPZ0.jpg

Edited by Southpaw

Yes, I was loading mixed brass, but it was the same regardless of the bullet I was using. The only variable that was different was the bullet; I didn't make any change to the brass I used, the setting on the seating die, etc. That's why I thought the bullet might be the responsible factor. . .

Also, I agree that this is too much variation in OAL, so I'm trying to figure out the reason.

Measure only the ones that are loaded when all the stations in the press are full. Put another way, if you have a 6 station press, don't measure the first 5 and don't measure the last 5.

Also, check to make sure the primers are at least flush/counter sunk.

Measure only the ones that are loaded when all the stations in the press are full. Put another way, if you have a 6 station press, don't measure the first 5 and don't measure the last 5.

Also, check to make sure the primers are at least flush/counter sunk.

I should have mentioned that I just started reloading, so I'm just working on a single stage press right now. But I checked primers, and they were either flush or slightly countersunk.

I went back and remeasured all the 147 gr rounds I currently had on hand (~ 30), and then compared headstamps. All the Blazer and FC headstamps (~ half of what I had) were consistent (1.128-1.132), while WIN were always long (up to 1.140). There were too few of other headstamps to draw any conclusions. I will keep an eye on this. . .

I load a lot of Blue Bullets 147gr. Lately I've been averaging about 2,500 rounds per month. The last lot I got from them weight in the 149.5 - 151 range, most were right around 150.0. I don't weight them all (like duh?), but I've been weighting 3-4 every time I load up the bullet tray. At least they are consistently overweight.

I have some Bayou and SNS 147 also. I weighted about 10-15 of each of them and they were very consistently around 147 (+/- 0.1-0.3).

My standard 147gr load is 3.4gr WSF at an OAL 1.14. I just started loading with this lot of bullets, so I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet, but has to have some effect.

I've been using the flat point 147 and like it better than anything else I've tried so far. 1.14 and 2.8gr of Titegroup for a G34. What OAL should I load at for a Sig? A good friend of mine told me he has a Sig and I'm looking to repay a favor by loading up some ammo for him and I gather the freebore varies quite a lot between Glock and other brands, CZ being known to be shortest for instance.

Yellowfin, any problem with barrel fouling with the blue bullets and Titegroup? I tried Tiegroup with a moly bullet once and it coated the bore something terrible.

I did. I can't say it's TG for certain cause I also shot some w231 that session too. But yes, I had some barrel fouling.

No problems that I have noticed, but I clean frequently and use Seal 1 and/or Froglube heavily so fouling won't stick anyway. Blue Bullets uses Hi-tek coating so it's not the same as moly or powder coat. If you need a tougher still coating check out King Shooter Supply's purple coated bullets.

No problems that I have noticed, but I clean frequently and use Seal 1 and/or Froglube heavily so fouling won't stick anyway. Blue Bullets uses Hi-tek coating so it's not the same as moly or powder coat. If you need a tougher still coating check out King Shooter Supply's purple coated bullets.

I'm pretty sure blue bullets are a polymer coating and not hi-tek.