Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S A vs kimber.

1911vm

Good day

I want a get a 4in 9mm 1911. The only ones I can find with an actual 4in barrel[not 4.25in] and full size grip is SA. Compact champion or a kimber. The kimber is almost $450 more I do not know if it is worth it. Thanks for any input .

Good day

I want a get a 4in 9mm 1911. The only ones I can find with an actual 4in barrel[not 4.25in] and full size grip is SA. Compact champion or a kimber. The kimber is almost $450 more I do not know if it is worth it. Thanks for any input .

IMHO, Kimber does not offer any quality advantage over any of the other mass produced guns from SA, Colt or the rest.

Better options:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-1911-guardian/

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-duty-one-45-acp-4/

They do cost more than mass made guns but IMHO, they are worth it.

Edited by bountyhunter

Springfield is great about supporting the shooting sports, Kimber is not. That said the internals are way superior than a Springfield.

Usually throw some parts away when tuning Springfields. Sorry nor a Springer fan broke three slides. Turned me against them.

Good day

IMHO, Kimber does not offer any quality advantage over any of the other mass produced guns from SA, Colt or the rest.

Better options:

The first one is officers grip length

And the second is 3in barrel. It is exactly what I ran into during the search. Thanks for trying

You don't start to get quality internals in a Kimber until you get way, way above the price of an SA. I would not buy STI anything from current production. I'd recommend you go with the SA, assuming it meets all your other requirements. If you have to replace a couple of MIM internal parts around the 20,000-30,000 mark, so what. I seriously doubt you'll shoot that many rounds with your carry gun.

Another way to look at it is you could buy the SA, then replace all the frame internals with quality billet or bar stock parts and still spend less than the Kimber. What you would then have will blow the doors off STIs and the Kimber.

Good day

Better options:

The first one is officers grip length

And the second is 3in barrel. It is exactly what I ran into during the search. Thanks for trying

The second example, which is the Duty One 4.0, comes in 4.1" bull barrel (see attached figure). Don't know if grip matches.

post-271-0-84910400-1451428776_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

You don't start to get quality internals in a Kimber until you get way, way above the price of an SA. I would not buy STI anything from current production. I'd recommend you go with the SA, assuming it meets all your other requirements. If you have to replace a couple of MIM internal parts around the 20,000-30,000 mark, so what. I seriously doubt you'll shoot that many rounds with your carry gun.

Another way to look at it is you could buy the SA, then replace all the frame internals with quality billet or bar stock parts and still spend less than the Kimber. What you would then have will blow the doors off STIs and the Kimber.

Makes sense. Thanks. I kind of thing the same thing but wanted some conformation.

I used to have a Kimber Eclipse pro and it shot well once I replaced the factory recoil spring, which was far too light from the factory. SA does have a great warranty department and supports the shooting sports. Ideally you won't have to use the warranty dept, but stuff happens.

I know people complain about Kimber's mim parts, but I don't personally know anybody that has had any problems with them.

check GrabAGun for prices. that was the best around when I did similar shopping, but went with the ROC. 4" upper on officers lower. The other main CCO players in my head were Dan Wesson (2x the money) and GI (4x the money). wasn't interested in the colt. Managed to get the springfield that ran flawlessly out of the box, send it to have the barrel cut flush, slide tri topped, night sights, crimson trace green laser, extra mags and a milt sparks holster and STILL be under what the DW would have cost.

shoots great and outstanding service. what more can you ask for?

Personally, I picked up a Colt LW Commander used, sent it to Rob at Alchemy. Built a carry gun to my specs. Had about the same in the gun as a new gun, and it is better than any stock gun - far better, imo. I own lots of 1911s, from SA to Baers. A SA Commander will work just as well. Some Kimbers run, some don't... overpriced, imo.

If this will be a carry gun get it in 45ACP.

I have several 9mm 1911 guns and feeding is sometimes a little iffy. It's just the size of the round. The 1911 was made to shoot hardball ammo, and it does.

That being said, I'd go with the SA as long as your going to use it as is. Another option is the CZ 75B (no de-cocker)

If your going to add components, sights, magwell, grips........then look at the SA Loaded. It comes with that stuff on it.

Now that your in the $1200.00 range, look around.

(Just a note: I'm not a Kimber fan)

I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago though in my case I was torn between the Rock Island and Srpingfield Range Officer. Rock Islands are good (shot a number of them) but I opted to go with the Range Officer Compact in 9mm to alternate with a Kimber SIS Pro for EDC (can use the same leather holster). I looked at GunBroker and Buds and yes, getting it from a LGS the difference is quite a bit. Luckily, LGS worked with me on the price and gave me a decent deal and awaiting delivery of the item. I opted to support my LGS and in my opinion it is a good way of showing support to them and getting good customer service if something goes wrong with the firearm (they deal with Davidsons) instead of dealing straing with the manufacturer. That's just me.....YMMV.