Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading SDB to 550

I've been tossing the idea of upgrading my SDB to a 550 for a while. I even grabbed a set of Dillon dies and a conversion kit when I saw a good deal on them on the forum. I like the SDB, but have a couple of little things that bug me. The work area is a bit small to me and I often have to press the brass into station 1 again when it hits the tool head (though that may be operator error going to fast and not getting it all the way in). What are the opinions of those who have used both - particularly if you switched form one to the other. The ability to load rifle rounds doesn't matter to me, and I know the SDB uses proprietary dies. I'm just wondering ergonomically which is preferred by those that have used both.

I'm not going to say anything negative about the SDB, I know that most owners love them. I'm just not a fan.

My 30 year old 550 is the most versatile and reliable progressive out there. I love it, and I can crank some numbers out quick if needed even though it is a manual index.

I would think in your case that YOU would prefer the auto indexing 650 since that is what you are used to.

I will add this, I sure wish I had not have waited 20 years to get my first 1050! The ultimate, and worth nutting up even if you can't really afford it.

Best

I too think the 650 May be a better choice since you're used to an auto indexing press. If cash is tight you can not buy the case collator and either feed cases manually or drop them in the tube. You can probably rig up the lee loadmaster case collator. It's like $15. Very basic but works pretty well.

Owned a 550 for 21 years. Sold it 3 years ago and went to a 650. The 550 is awesome, great press. I wish I had bought a 650 sooner though. Smooth and with the case feeder FAST!

Follow BeerBaron's advice order the 650 without the case feeder. The extra $130.00 you will spend for the 650 over the 550 is worth it. I guarantee that when you are able to afford the case feeder you will purchase it. IMHO the 650 is the way to go, maybe not for a newb but you are not a newb and have experience with auto indexing on the SDB.

If you load for the pure plesure and zen of it, nothing beats a 550. Mr. Dillon explained it to me that it's like a manual trans compared to an auto trans, since I have an old jeep with a 5 speed, I turn on the classical music and enjoy my 550. Speed is not the problem, quantity is. If your doing large quantities in one sitting you may not like a 550. Like myself, if you want to load many different calibers, nothing beats a 550 for cost per caliber and ease of changing calibers.

I started out with sdb and moved up to 660. I was in your spot was thinking about 550 because of money diff. Go with the 660 for the little extra. I think you will regret not getting 650. Great press. Now the 1050 is just way to much and I thought about that also. On that I can't see the justification in the money. That more for commercial people.

I used to have three SDBs on a bench - 9, 40, 45. Loved them. Thought I would load 223 and 308 - sold two SDBs and bought a used 550 kept the SDB 45. I never did reload 223 or 308 - I buy 223 and 308 when on sale in bulk instead. I do like the 550 for loading 9 and 40 - it just a more robust system . I cannot justify a 650 or 1050 - I just load 100-300 rounds at a time on the 550.

If you want to load rifle on a progressive - sell the SDB and move up to at least a 550.

If you want use one press for multiple calibers - sell the SDB and move to a 550 (use Lee or other dies as you find deals - do not have to use Dillon)

If you are only loading pistol and load one caliber - stick with the SDB! Use the funds saved on components.

If you only load pistol and only two or three calibers - multiple SDB may be the ticket (was for me).

Go with the 650 for the little extra.

Last time I looked, it was NOT a "Little Extra" - it's a LOT MORE

for a 650 than a 550 ... :cheers:

550 is $440 and 650 $566 according to dillon.

Add a case feeder.........for the 650 it adds $220, for the 550 add $265. I don't think I'd want a 650 without that, but the 550 seems to do pretty well without one, since you can't load most rifle stuff on a 550 with one attached.

Different animals........ :sight:

Edited by Alan550

All of us have an opinion and experience to share. If you load for multiple calibers..the 550 is the way to go. If you want to load a lot of pistol, skip the 650 and go 1050. The difference in priming and swaged primer pockets is worth the difference. If you loaded on the two side by side there would be no debate.

Yes the work area is cramped on SD vs the other units. Other than that...its a great little press.

I bet the average purchase price of a 650 (as it should be) is over $1,000. :cheers:

The latest issue of The Blue Press lists the total cost of a 1050, with options,

set up for .45 ACP, as $1130.55. And that does NOT include a bullet feeder. :cheers:

My whole 650 set with case feeder was under 1000. That's including all the little extra.

I bet the average purchase price of a 650 (as it should be) is over $1,000. :cheers:

The latest issue of The Blue Press lists the total cost of a 1050, with options,

set up for .45 ACP, as $1130.55. And that does NOT include a bullet feeder. :cheers:

My whole 650 set with case feeder was under 1000. That's including all the little extra.

Buy ten of them, and hurry!!!!

Hi-Power, You must get a different issue from the one I receive (or you meant 650 instead of 1050). The January 2016 that I have on hand lists the 1050 for $1,749.95 in .45ACP. :sight: