Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Best" combination Seater/Crimp Die for 9mm?

RickT

My Hornady is currently configured with an RCBS Micrometer Seater and a Lee FCD. This setup has worked flawlessly for more than 40K rounds. Here's the rub: I'm transitioning to a Mr. BulletFeeder and while I don't mind giving up my RCBS lockout die, if I keep the two station approach to Seating/Crimp the bullet feeder die is adjacent to the powder drop and the cases are very difficult to eyeball, not impossible, but difficult.

45K rounds ago I tried the Hornady combo die and didn't like it at all as a then newbie. I'd really like to retain the micrometer capability, but that isn't essential. Any and all advice/suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

If you are shooting lead or coated lead I would advise seating and crimping separately. Its almost impossible to seat and crimp at the same time without shaving the coating. If you are using jacketed bullets I have had good luck with the Lee seat/crimp die. I personally like seating and crimping separately as I mainly shoot coated lead.

If you are shooting lead or coated lead I would advise seating and crimping separately. Its almost impossible to seat and crimp at the same time without shaving the coating. If you are using jacketed bullets I have had good luck with the Lee seat/crimp die. I personally like seating and crimping separately as I mainly shoot coated lead.

I do shoot only coated lead - significant savings at 4K/month between my wife and myself. I could live with my current setup if I had to.

welcome to 'the land of many ways to skin a cat'

I agree with dave33 that you should avoid seat and crimp in one die.

that said... and ignored...

you can can seat and crimp with one die.

It was once quite common to do it that way.

I have a two different bullet seating dies and both will also crimp.

with the 9mm, use the least possible crimp to fit the case to your pistol.

think .3799 ( a tick less than .380 )

I do not know what die is the best for the job you are doing.

miranda

edited to fix a mispelt word.

Edited by Miranda

I do shoot only coated lead - significant savings at 4K/month between my wife and myself. I could live with my current setup if I had to.

I hear you on that. I sometimes shoot JHP but primarily shoot coated lead. In that case I would lose the lockout die and figure something out for looking into the cases as you load, especially if you use an easy metering powder. I have seen guys use mirrors and various video camera setups, my press makes it easy to look into the case before placing a bullet.

Before getting a 550 I loaded and shot close to 7k coated lead 9MM on a single stage using a combo seater/crimp die... never noticed any excessive shaving of the coating, leading of the barrel, smoke, accuracy issues or anything else to indicate that combo seating and crimping was doing anything 'bad' to my reloads. I used a Redding die.

I don't have a Hornady so I don't know the angles, but I bet you could do something with mirrors. Auto parts stores sell cheap little ones often with adhesive backing for attaching here and there. I'd thoroughly exhaust that possibility before seating/crimping in a single step.

I'm also thinking of a low power laser diode aimed into the case mouth at an angle might somehow provide an indication. Double charge is no problem; N320 isn't very dense and I believe a double charge would either be at the case mouth or overfill - I'm going to check.

I'm using an RCBS die to seat and crimp in one step and it works fine. I could do it in 2 steps, but after adding a bullet feeder I had to change things a bit. I personally want the case with powder in front of me to visually verify every single one as they go around.

I have two different Hornady dies, one the Custom Grade which doesn't use the die depth to adjust the crimp, the other a New Dimension die that requires screwing the die in to adjust the crimp. I have both "working" now. The Custom Grade works flawlessly, the New Dimension die I have not yet mastered so I'm going to stick with Custom Grade and buy a few more. I've also figured out how to get the Mr. BulletFeeder mounted in Location 3 of my LNL so I could go back to separate dies. Things are looking up.

• 2 years later...

Ive been using the Mr Bullet Feeder 2in1 Seat/Crimp die now for awhile and if adjusted properly works great. I would however like to find a micrometer stem that works with it. 

It doesnt matter if I need to replace the die with another brand as long as it is a 2in1 seat & crimp die that works w a micrometer stem.

Any recommendations?

Thank you Jim. I did see that but wasnt sure the stem would fit or not. I was hoping someone would confirm if fit. And I wouldnt mind the Redding prices if I could get and confirm the same (both the stem and a seat/crimp die) worked together. 

Edited by PhillySoldier

54 minutes ago, mwray said:

Mr bullet makes a seater die that has the lee FCD incorporated into it. I’ve been running one lately for 45. So far it’s been great especially for the cheap price

Thats what i have now but would like to get one w a micrometer seating stem.