Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to revolvers

valerko

I understand that Open Revolver will be back in USPSA and Steel challenge for 2016.

On that note after selling all the revolvers in my safe a couple of years ago (most belonged to my late wife) most of which only got occasional use in matches I did have a couple of revolvers in my bucket list (9mm ones since I shoot a lot of semis in competition). Stumbled across a 986 at my local LGS and decided to buy it recently. 5" 7-round gun I plan on using in SC and likely the PSA Shootout. 7 rounds is not an issue at PSA as it takes the same number of reloads for both 7 or 8 rd guns, you just get more rounds for missed shots which I don't do very much. Also 7 rounds is enough for me in SC. Ordered some stuff from TKC, played with the main spring screw but ended up just filing on it a bit so that fully screwed in it reads 10# on my trigger gauge. Shot a local revolver steel match with it using factory ammo. I found out it liked Fed American Eagle a lot more than regular Fed red box in practice. So 160 rounds in the match with only a single FTF using the 115g version worked out well. Might send the gun to get some work but I like it like it is although I am waiting for some better grips and an extended cylinder release to arrive from Brownells.

Anybody happen to know whether the holster for the 6" barreled guns or the 4" barreled guns will work better or can be modified for the 5" gun?

Edited by photoracer

You can already shoot open revolver! In open! :D It sounds like a riot actually and I've thought about doing it myself. I just need to figure out how to shoot a revolver first...

I have done it for years at the local level and on classifiers where you have mandatory reloads and six to eight rounds between reloads. It is fun whopping up on the autos. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo,

I'm semi good with autos. Actually been kicking ass last year , lol

Wanna try a revolver. Here's a thing , I shoot mostly 9mm and want to stick with revolver that shoots 9mm and I want to use it in IDPA and USPSA ? What would be my recommendations from seasoned pros?

Welcome to the club

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got to shoot 625 , 687 and 627 and looks like I will need 2 revolvers.

I guess , I can tame down 625 , especially for USPSA , since I don't have to worry about slide movement .

I might go that route to begin with. I have a feeling that once I do get into revolvers , they will multiply in my safe. Lol

So, I got to shoot 625 , 687 and 627 and looks like I will need 2 revolvers.

I guess , I can tame down 625 , especially for USPSA , since I don't have to worry about slide movement .

I might go that route to begin with. I have a feeling that once I do get into revolvers , they will multiply in my safe. Lol

It is a wise man who truly knows himself ... and the limitations of the size of his safe.

• 2 weeks later...

revoman

I did in fact think about a 627 a lot. But in the end the 929 came home with me. I'm (as you might be able to tell) in no hurry to get this gun into service. I'm going to drop some coin into getting it ready plus I need moons, maybe some brass, probably a new belt and ammo carriers for the moons. So if it has to go back to S&W half a dozen times so be it. But I will get this gun to work.

Good luck and I wish you the best and welcome to Revolver. You might look at Apex Tactical or TK Custom for work on the 929 as they both do excellent work. There are probably others out there that do good work also but these have always been my go to people and Pinnacle Custom. There are others out there that have went the 929 way and have got them to work and have no problems with them and if you were set up for 9mm reloading it only made sense to go the 9mm route.

Me I own a 627 V-Comp, 27-8, 627 6.5" barrel and a custom made 627 with custom made 38 super barrel with comp and cylinder cut back to 38 short colt length. So a 9mm did not look inviting to me. But who knows if I run across one of those deals that you can't refuse I could own one.

Also just ribbing you on your purchase as when you become a revolver shooter you do have to be able not to take everything serious as we are the most friendly group of people you will ever shoot with. Plan to come to the IRC this year and I will buy you a beer or two. Of course after we are done shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old Smith Model 67 with a 4 " barrel that I thought I might try alittle more seriously in local IDPA matches. I have the Safari Comp 3 speed loaders and rest of gear. One of the revolver shooters recommended I change the old rubber grips for smooth Jerry Miculek grips. Is the gun manufactured with round butt and square butt or is the grip style what you would specify on the order for the grips???? I hear its offered two styles, one plain and i checkered. Which would be good for a revolver newby??afish4570

I have an old Smith Model 67 with a 4 " barrel that I thought I might try alittle more seriously in local IDPA matches. I have the Safari Comp 3 speed loaders and rest of gear. One of the revolver shooters recommended I change the old rubber grips for smooth Jerry Miculek grips. Is the gun manufactured with round butt and square butt or is the grip style what you would specify on the order for the grips???? I hear its offered two styles, one plain and i checkered. Which would be good for a revolver newby??afish4570

When you remove your grip from your revolver, does it have a sharp corner on the back bottom corner? If yes it's a square butt, otherwise it's a round butt.

As to smooth or checkered... What hand do you use to operate the speedloader?

If you swap the Revo to the weak hand and reload with your dominant hand like I do, I believe you want a smooth grip. I reacquire my grip every 6-8 shots, the smooth grip makes it easier to get a consistent grip quickly.

If you maintain your grip and load with your weak hand, I believe a checkered grip has benefits. You will get your grip coming out of the holster and you need that grip to work for the entire course of fire.