Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm AR questions

Sarge

What kind of oal can I run in a 9mm AR? Are they typically throated pretty deep?

Will these run on 130PF loads?

What colt style mags do you guys recommend? I'm reading as much as I can on the subject and it looks like metal form is the ticket but some say the cheaper mags work great too.

Gun is a Stag AR 9

I run standard length 130PF 124gr RN-FMJ loads in my AR15/9 SBR (10" barrel). I use Metalform and modified Uzi mags held in a top-install Hahn mag block. No last round BHO (no great loss - less stress on the lower) but otherwise it runs great:

AR159mmBigStickMagazine20.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I loaded my 9mm AR ammo to 1.12 (147 precision deltas behind CFE pistol). I have only used the Metalform mags, so I can't help out with any of the other type of brands, but they have worked great.

I have seen a few great sales on the 9mm colt style magazines at Palmetto. A friend picked one up for me when he was placing an order when the deals were going on - so fingers crossed that they are gtg.

Here is my 9mm SBR wearing with a Tirant 45 (7" ADCO barrel). Hopefully I posted that photo right, it is my first shot at uploading one.

8rcZ11.jpg

I ordered metal forms from midway today. I got birthday pricing so they weren't too bad. Still more than stag branded mags that came with the rifle but those mags are made by acs and acs seems to have a less than stellar record. I actually emailed stag and voiced my concerns and they assured me acs makes them to more stringent specs for the stag label.

Thanks for the load info. Looks like I'll just run my Production ammo through it for starters.

Palmetto State Armory mags are made by metalform and work great. I have a bunch of uzi mags that were cut to fit for colt mags. I did these before affordable mags were plentiful and Uzi mags use to be less than $10 for an IMI 32 rd mag.

Resampled_2013-03-06_20-05-08_476_zps0e5

I bought some Metalform mags from the LGS where I bought the Colt 6951. Cha ching$$$.

Then I made the mistake of buying Uzi mags, which I still have to convert.

Then I found some place even cheaper for the Metalform mags.

If you look on YouTube, there are vids on how to convert the Uzi mags. There is also a pic with dimensions on where to cut the slot and how far down to auger out the back.

Sorry for the triple post, but just wondering if anybody has had any experience loading their 9mm AR mags with this tool, normally meant for the B&T MP9 or the HK MP5:

I have never loaded more than like 20 rounds in my mags just because it kills my thumb.

Lula supposedly makes a loader for the metalform mags.

Lula supposedly makes a loader for the metalform mags.

YES they do, and it is worth its weight in gold. Works great with metalform mags, but modified Uzi mags need a half-moon cut in the back between the feedlips.

A trick for folks who find themselves without a loader:

1) Hold the magazine in your strong hand with your thumb uppermost.

2) Place a single round on top of the feed lips and press down firmly with your thumb.

3) Bump the base of the magazine sharply on any convenient hard surface (e.g. a table) while continuing to press down with your thumb.

4) Hey presto - the round is now in the magazine.

5) Rinse and repeat another 31 times.

You are welcome.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Or just get the JP GMR and easily load the 33rd Glock sticks by hand...

And use whatever 9mm ammo you have on hand. Haven't tried the super-light sub-minor stuff, but it runs great on my 147gr 3-gun ammo at about 130PF.

Not hatin on your new toy Sarge, but the JP I just received is slicker than snot. I know the price is a bit different...

Edited by wgj3

On a much different note...

Do you think you could get a Franklin Armory binary trigger to work in a 9mm AR:

http://youtu.be/vMp3PC0diwI

?

Probably have to be developed separately as everything I'm reading says the hammers are different in the blowback AR's?

While this trigger will most likely be popular with some I prefer to pull the trigger to make any gun fire.

9mm AR's triggers can be "goofy". I have owned three 9mm AR's. Two based on Colt pattern and one on the Glock mag. My first one I used a Timney 3 lb trigger with zero issues. The Glock based one I tried a ELF trigger and it would not run consistently. My current 9mm AR I am using a JP trigger setup with a JP upper on a Colt pattern lower and runs like a top.

The reason I went back to a Colt pattern vs the Glock lower was I like to have the last round hold open function. Just s personal preference. 9mm AR's are a blast to shoot and due to the low muzzle blast and slow recoil impulse, they are great for kids, women, and new shooters.

What kind of oal can I run in a 9mm AR? Are they typically throated pretty deep?

What colt style mags do you guys recommend? I'm reading as much as I can on the subject and it looks like metal form is the ticket but some say the cheaper mags work great too.

Gun is a Stag AR 9

The orange follower metal forms didn't work well for me. All kinds of feed issues on the last couple of rounds. The Metal Forms with the black follower work like a charm.

Not sure if it is still made, but I had an ar9 it was in the late 90s early 00s and it used a normal lower with a gizmo that locked in the mag well and took sten mags. The came with a complete upper for 9 and the mag well part. Since I have a sten it didnt cost me any extra and never had a problem. Not sure if a sten mag loader would work on the uzi mags. Wonder if I could use the sten at a 3 gun match?

Edited by rustybayonet

Gun is a Stag AR 9

Sorry, got off track. I just used stock 115s in mine. Could you just measure your chamber just like a pistol? Or are you looking at ballistics and not what fits?

P.S. I got rid of mine because it's just a heavy pistol. :)

Rusty, I have that setup. It is a standard lower and FCG, with a block from Hahn that goes in from the top. It has a paddle mag release that uses STEN mags. The upper is from Olympic Arms. I had the barrel cut down to 11.5" and SBR'd it. I have two uppers for the lower that are SBR'd. I had a couple STEN mags cut down to 20 rd. to use locally before Ohio repealed the "over 30 is a machine gun" law. I'm kinda excited for PCC to happen. I've needed an excuse to shoot this upper for a while now. I've shot 115 factory, and some of my open major ammo, it eats it all.

Gun is a Stag AR 9

Sorry, got off track. I just used stock 115s in mine. Could you just measure your chamber just like a pistol? Or are you looking at ballistics and not what fits?

P.S. I got rid of mine because it's just a heavy pistol. :)

My minor loads worked fine. Self defense loads worked fine as well. I was reading something on other forums about ballistics of SD loads and believe they are leaning towards hot 115's. Just not sure why?

Heavy pistol? Hell, it's heavy for a rifle? Much heavier than my other AR.

This is going on the span of about 10 years....back when I first joined this site back in 2005....but there have probably been about 5 people I have PM'ed over the years who were both Open shooters with their 9mm Major guns and they had mentioned out on the public forum here that they had a 9mm AR. So the reason I PM'ed them was to ask if they had shot their Open gun's 9mm Major rounds through their AR's. All of them said yes, and all of them said they never ran into any problems with malfunctions.

I would guess in theory, a 115 grain bullet loaded with a really slow powder would be the best way to gain any velocity shooting it through a 16 inch barrel (versus say a 5 inch barrel).

Besides, I would think 115's are cheaper.

My old "production" load of 147gr Montana Gold's (it's almost like a flat point) run just fine.