Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race holster sketchy....

moostapha

No, it's a cheap hogue thing that is theoretically adjustable to different guns. It makes some kind of sense because I usually shoot an m&p primarily for fun & training, but I'll be borrowing a 2011 every now and then.

The trigger guard just kind of sits on/between some pieces with some magnets to kind of hold the barrel. It "stays", but I wouldn't want to walk let alone run with it unlocked. With my big stick in, I feel like bumping it would let the barrel twist straight forward.

I haven't tried a turn & draw yet, but just a straight draw definitely feels faster.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Being a lefty means I don't get to try anyone's gear.

I was sure nervous when I got my first "race" holster. After using them for a couple of years I figured out they work like they're supposed to. Sure they wont handle bumps when unlocked but are secure and safe when locked. I still spend a lot of time at matches with my hand on the pistol's grip out of habit though.

The hogue is pretty goofy and not like most race holsters. The lock on most slows down your draw little to none so I always have it on and feel very secure. The hogue is slow to unlock so when I used it I had it unlocked more and didn't feel as secure about it.

The hogue is pretty goofy and not like most race holsters. The lock on most slows down your draw little to none so I always have it on and feel very secure.

That conflicts with my observations.

I've watched people just do nothing at unloaded starts and almost rip the holster off the belt trying to draw with the lock on.

If you start with the Hogue locked it's simple enough to unlock on the draw by keeping your thumb straight. I used one for a couple of years and never had any issues or even close calls. A little dry fire and you'll have it figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat right now. I have a safariland 578 GLS holster that works great but I saw a decent deal on a used super ghost ultimate holster so I picked that up.

Now I'm trying to figure out which holster to use next season. I'll be shooting 3 gun and a little steel challenge.

The race holster feels like the holster is not secure - it rocks back in forth a little bit (even when locked), but when it is locked in. I can't get it to come out - I haven't exactly beat it against anything to try to jar it loose though.

Kind of wishing I could mode the super ghost holster to work with ELS or GLS to make switching them out easier.

Ittheynare expensive but I don't think there is a quicker way to change holsters on a belt that the guga ribas Ernie hill. The hanger is adjustable up and down and the holster body can come all the way off in seconds while being worn. And slide a different body one. No tools 10-15 seconds total to switch between guns.

Mine has not fallen out.

I did tilt it a little farther backward so it would feel a bit more confidence inspiring, but I haven't had an issue. The grip is also closer to being parallel with the ground this way, which feels somewhat natural to me.

Between this thread and people IRL, it also seems like a lot of people leave the holster locked of they have to move too much before the draw.

So, whatever you get, I'd say to make sure you can disable the lock during your draw stroke. There are some that work by a thumb push and others by a finger swipe.

Also, I think it was a safariland that I saw that will allow you to pull it straight up for the first half inch of travel to disable a lock that keeps it from rotating forwards.

People on forum telling me to go with the daa rig. I will be new to limited and new to race holster. Reading these comments should I be worried much about the gun falling out.

The gun will not fall out of a locked race master. If the fit of the holster to gun is right it even feels extremely secure unlocked. I had to hand fit my Glocks and get an oversized tongue to hand fit to my particular 2011 grip.

How hard is it to change guns on the real ones?

I was plenty happy with my other one, but I don't want to have to buy separate holsters for each gun I shoot. This thing takes a few minutes at most to switch between, say, a 2011, an M&P, and a glock.