Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40s&w 1911s?

StraightSh00ter

Who makes them (single stack) besides Sig and STI? I'm looking for production line guns, or built under $2k. Right now I'm leaning toward Sig, but having a 9mm already it would be a little more exciting to try something different. DW would be ideal, but no 5" guns in 40sw?

Rock Island is entry level. It won't make the gun schnob owners list but its quite functional, reliable and the price leaves a LOT of room for mods and ammo. I have a double stack .45 that runs like a sewing machine and I am a Glock fan boy to boot.

Thanks. I would have thought DW had a checkered front strap. The Sig has everything, except maybe high rise beavertail, in Stainless, for under $900 right now. I'd like to see an STI in person; I've read too much garbage and am not sure how I'd like that front strap. It looks like there are some RIAs still around with short dust cover for $550ish, but no FS checkering. Once having it, a checkered front strap is a tough thing to trade and ~$200 plus finishing costs to have done.

Hello: There are some others out there and some used ones as well. I am making another top end for my Springfield Loaded target that is 9mm now. I have the Caspian slide, Schuemann barrel, Dawson sights, Dawson firing pin, Caspian extractor. The Dan Wesson does have a checkered front strap or you could just use skateboard tape for now. I would place an ad in the classifieds here and see what is out there. If you hear of a Springfield Trophy match in 40 let me know. Still looking for one of those. I forgot to add you could get a 10mm and rebarrel it in 40. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

A 10mm would be easier to convert (should be a barrel and spring only), so Kimber, Colt, DW, STI, and I believe Sig. 9mm uses different breech face I believe, so it would be more work. But I don't really know the details.

After checking out some guns at the shop today I'm leaning toward the STI (I didn't see an STI, but I'm OK with that style stippling on the front strap). My Sig is awesome but I think it would be more fun to get something a little different. Plus I'm thinking about ordering from Brazos or Dawson and having them check it over, change the trigger, etc.

Now to start playing with the budget...

Hello: Some of the old Kimbers used the same slide for there 9mm and 40's. I had an old Kimber Eclipse that was 10mm that I made into a 40 and 9mm. Only thing I would change is the barrels and magazines. The STI Trojan front strap is too smooth for me. I would just wrap it with skateboard tape like most do and shoot it. Thanks, Eric

I run a Sti trojan in 40 gun runs lights out and is very accurate and dependable ... The finish does wear pretty easy from lots of dry fire but if ur like me and don't give a crap about finish wear it's not bigge ... Would deff recommend one

I'm pretty sure that (like 98% sure) that the Para's use the same breechface for 9/40 as well.

I was thinking about getting a Rock Island to shoot some single stack with, but their nicer models are only offered with the bull barrel. Which knocks that idea right out, if that is your plan for this gun. Though with all the money you save maybe you could have a bushing and barrel fit to it and still be cheaper haha

Surprisingly:

*Local Cabelas has a (new?) .40 Para Pro Comp in the used gun counter (I didn't love it for some reason)

*The gun shop around the corner is an STI dealer (but no SS guns in the store) - STI has the Trojan in SS which I'm feeling much better about.

*That gun shop also had a MAC 2011 in .40 (Para clone), which seemed well worth the price tag for a high cap.

Also, Kimber has a lot of 10mm options which could be easily adapted to run .40, and there are some Dan Wessons out there which are probably the best quality/fit of the bunch.

.40sw isn't easy to find in a Single Stack 1911, but they are out there!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I run an STI Trojan in .40 and I like it. The front strap checkering is not really checkering and it it's not very grippy. But, some skateboard tape will fix that no problem. I've got a buddy with a Sig in .40 and its a nice piece. If I were I'm the market for a 1911 in .40 I would seriously look at the Max Michel model Sig. It looks good to go from the factory.

I wasn't impressed with the Max edition. The trigger itself was flimsy and ragged, the break was Sig's standard 4.5#, the sights are puzzling, and the mag catch remains itty bitty. White dots on the rear with the FO front? About the only thing I'd keep is the magwell. You're far better off getting their most basic model and upgrading it with parts that you're confident about, and you'll have to have a smith fix up the trigger anyway.

I wasn't impressed with the Max edition. The trigger itself was flimsy and ragged, the break was Sig's standard 4.5#, the sights are puzzling, and the mag catch remains itty bitty. White dots on the rear with the FO front? About the only thing I'd keep is the magwell. You're far better off getting their most basic model and upgrading it with parts that you're confident about, and you'll have to have a smith fix up the trigger anyway.

Hello: The Sig Max comes with some of the best parts out there. EGW hammer, sear and disconnector. Dawson fiber front sight as well as there Ice magwell. Add those parts up plus install cost, I think you will find the Sig Max is a good deal. White dots on the rear sight, small thumb safety and a small mag release can easily be changed over. Thanks, Eric