Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production gun for Wife?

Fly

My wife is showing interest in shooting USPSA, however we have some hurdles to clear. I set up a gun I had laying around with a few simple mods such as trigger pull, grip tape, and an easier to see optic front sight on a Gen 3 model 17. Problem is she cannot reach the mag release due to hand size, but shoots the gun fairly well. She picked up my XDm, and she liked the reach to the trigger better and the grip better than the grip tape on the Glock, but once again she cannot reach the mag release.

Are there any other guns out there set up for a small hand? My other thought is for her to just shoot limited class and then I can just put on an oversize mag release. One option I looked at is a Gen 4 Glock, and have her drop the mag with her index finger versus her thumb, but prefer not going this route.

Thanks all,

+1 for the VP9. My wife has small hands as well and since the grip on the VP9 is so modular, she was able to set it up so it works for her. Keep in mind the mag release is located where the trigger guard meets the grip. It takes some training to get used to, especially with speed reloads.

Kahr is coming out with a comp gun too

This thing? http://www.kahr.com/gen2-premium.asp

Everywhere I've seen it they keep advertising it as the King Kong of concealed carry guns. Seems like they have their target audience a little confused.

That's all I've seen too but Kahr is literally miles from my house and I've met the owner. He's neighbors with one of my shooting buddies. The word is they are working on something that will be production capable. I have no idea on time line though.

I am a guy with small hands and short fingers/thumbs and I have been using my weak hand thumb to drop the mag for years. I have tried almost everything except the right hand mag release and the wht works the best for me.

Richard

It's not really the grip size as much as it is the location of the Magazine release. Yes some fit better than others, like the feel of an XDm over a Glock, but either way she still cannot reach the release. We watched the video above, and she plans on dropping the mag with her weak hand.

Thanks for the comments.

I have very small hands with short fingers. I have tried many guns in search for the best fitting production gig for myself, including the popular CZ SP01 Shadow, Tanfo Stock 2/3, Glock 17/34, MP9 Pro and PPQ M2 and more.

My first hand experience is that your wife is likely to be most comfortable with MP9 Pro and PPQ M2. PPQ M2 has the largest slide stop so slide lock reloads would be much easier for small hands/short fingers - in case she also plays IDPA.

Try a SIG P320 with a small grip module.

For about $45 you should be able to find the small grip which changes all of the grip and reach dimensions instead of just changing the size of the back strap. I am unaware of any smaller options on any gun. If you needed even a little more reach the you could add a Springer extended magazine release.

She has been shooting the XDm and is very happy with it. She drops the mag with her week hand, but can also use her index finger of her strong hand if need be. Thanks everyone for all the options. Special thanks for the video, as she watched it and said that is how I'm going to overcome the short reach and shoot Production Class.

It's not really the grip size as much as it is the location of the Magazine release. Yes some fit better than others, like the feel of an XDm over a Glock, but either way she still cannot reach the release. We watched the video above, and she plans on dropping the mag with her weak hand.

Thanks for the comments.

That's a good solution!