Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses SV, PT, and CK steel grips for 2011? Please provide feedback.

1911A12011

I have PT stainless smooth grips on all of my 2011's. I prefer the smooth grip surface because I can add grip tape where I want it for more friction traction. I have handled and shot the "Textured" and "Aggressive Textured" versions. The "Textured" version is fine but I still felt that normal grip tape produced more friction than the machined pocket texturing. The "Aggressive Textured" grip is way to aggressive for me. I can't even grip the gun with my normal firm grip pressure without it actually hurting. I am sure it would produce more friction type of traction on your hands than grip tape, but if you can't grip the gun hard because it hurts, then it defeats the purpose.

One advantage to the PT grips is that you don't need to use proprietary Magwells, Main Spring Housings, or Mag Releases. Standard STI components work with the PT grips. The SVI and CK grips use proprietary parts which does limit your options.

As others have already said, test drive the different grips to see which one fits your hands the best and go from there. Just keep in mind that certain grips have a smaller aftermarket or optional hardware choices to fine tune it as you see fit.

Just to provide a touch of clarity, the CK grip comes with everything needed. I.E.- The grip kit comes with a Magwell, Mag release button, and MSH. Proprietary, yes, but you don't need to spend any extra money to fill the grip with necessary parts unlike the other grip manufacturers mentioned by the OP.

I have a pt aggressive on an STI frame, it was very aggressive (which I liked) but whittled it down to all own for slight grip adjustments. I built a pt framed gun and it would have needed fitting to get it to go on. I then got a smooth PT grip that fit the PT frame perfect. Then had an open CK frame gun built that both grips fit very snug and perfectly. I like the PT aggressive once dehorned a bit but like the smooth for its versatility in different textures with various tapes. The next one I get will probably be SV purely because I don't have one yet. I haven't held a CK but would assume the quality is similar. At the end of the day no one can tell you what will feel best for you, so pick the one you like best and you mind will compensate. Otherwise buy all of them and figure out which one actually performs best for YOU. The biggest benefit for me is the mass of steel vs the plastic over any actual ergonomics of the specific grip.

Tangential question. My hands sweat. Do you think the aggressive or skate tape would work best?

Yeah, the skate tape would work. But for me, I like the silicon carbide then the skate tape. In case you are building a new one with a steel grip, I highly recommend the aggressive and make sure to request a reduced depth on the texture (.020in) for a softer feel.

Tangential question. My hands sweat. Do you think the aggressive or skate tape would work best?

Yeah, the skate tape would work. But for me, I like the silicon carbide then the skate tape. In case you are building a new one with a steel grip, I highly recommend the aggressive and make sure to request a reduced depth on the texture (.020in) for a softer feel.

How long does the skate tape hold up? I tried skate tape on non-2011's and it didn't stay on long. Sometimes it didn't even last one match.

How long does the skate tape hold up? I tried skate tape on non-2011's and it didn't stay on long. Sometimes it didn't even last one match.

It really depends on the grip tape and adhesive you use. If you decide on installing a grip tape then get the SLOW Jet adhesive. This is a very thick industrial-grade strength cyanoacrylate glue that allows for a few seconds of repositioning time. It will last the longest of any adhesive.

The best skate tape I have found is called "Black Magic" and you need to apply it with a heat gun. If you prep the surface well (super clean with no oil) and use a heat gun to soften it up and press it into place it will stick very well and last a long time. Using the Black Magic skate tape and applying it properly I am yet to have it fail and need to be redone. The number one thing that will attack the adhesive are solvents you use to clean the gun. If you don't go crazy with the solvents the grip tape should last a long long time.

If your grip tape is coming off in one match or shooting session, then you are using crappy grip tape or not prepping the surface or applying it properly.

The PT aggressive grip texture is too excessive. I can't grip the gun with my normal firm grip without it hurting. I don't have that problem with skate tape. I can also modify the placement and aggressiveness of the skate tape easily. With the PT aggressive texture grip you are stuck with the cheese grater texture unless you are brave enough to grind it down. Grind it down too far and you will have to use skate tape.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I have the SV with grip tape on 5.4 limited gun and a PT textured on a 5.0 limited gun. The SV is more rounded in the front corners, and a little smaller in diameter than the PT. The PT front corners are kinda square, but not in a bad way. Quality of the SV is better, but shape and texture, I actually prefer the PT. I have a PT titanium textured on order that I'm going to use for a 6 inch limited gun.

I use Blood orange skate board tape really agressive surface but not to agressive it comes in a lot l of bright collors .

And if you degrease the grip with brake cleaner before putting it on it sticks very well .

Edited by Tino2212

I have the SV with grip tape on 5.4 limited gun and a PT textured on a 5.0 limited gun. The SV is more rounded in the front corners, and a little smaller in diameter than the PT. The PT front corners are kinda square, but not in a bad way. Quality of the SV is better, but shape and texture, I actually prefer the PT. I have a PT titanium textured on order that I'm going to use for a 6 inch limited gun.

thanks for mentioning that SV is more rounded in the front corners. i actually like and prefer rounded corners. it feels better for me. is that the signature SV grip you got and you did not like the arch at the back? is that the reason u prefered PT? also, why did you order the titanium (Ti)? will the Ti last longer than steel or you ordered it because you wanted a lighter weight this time?

My SV has the signature grip. I have no issues with it at all and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I think the machined texture on the PT probably has something to do with why I like it better. I haven't tried the SV textured grip but might feel the same if I had that. The one thing I don't like on the SV grip is the double undercut on the trigger guard. I prefer to have my weak hand wedged between the magwell and the trigger guard, and with the small SV magwell and double cut trigger guard, my weak hand was kinda floating around and not providing enough support. So I am now in the process of changing the trigger guard to a single undercut and changing the magwell the to XL version. For the new 6" gun, the main reason I went with a titanium grip is to keep the weight down without giving up strength and durability. I've shot a couple six inch guns and the ones with the plastic grips felt better in terms of overall weight and balance, so I don't want too much weight in the bottom end.

Thank you for the intelligent feedbacks. I finally decided to get a Signature SV Grip. I believe that's the best for me as of right now because it's modular and there are options to swap grip parts (e.g. trigger guard, size and texture).