Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I still maintain that an average guy will be much better off buying two 650's instead of one 1050. I like the 1050, but most people will never need the swager, and I am not so sure the primer system on the 1050 is superior - I had many more issues with it than I ever had with the 650's. OK, maybe my sample was a lemon, but the number of problems I had with the machine was huge, especially when comparing to pretty much flawless operation of the 650's.

Also, it seems like two totally different design teams engineered the main mechanism and the rest. The central mechanism is robust, but all those brackets and external additions... frankly, they are much below par in design area. I ended up modifying many of those, making the machine much more convenient to use.

My first progressive was a 550, back in 1991. Since then I've aquired a SDB and a 650. All my IPSC loading for .40 is done on the 650. I load most other pistol and some rifle on the 550. The SDB was part of a larger purchase and doesn't get much use because I don't shoot a lot of 9mm. I think the primer handling of the 650 is far superior to the 550. It's not perfect but I have to mess with it far less than the 550. The SDB seems pretty reliable but I probably haven't loaded ofer 2000 rounds on it. I already had a 9mm setup for the 550 when it entered the shop. I keep it just so I don't have to mess with anything if I want to load up some 9mm. I got a Glock 19 to play with recently and maybe shoot some production so the SDB may see more use in the future. It works well; just hard to get excited about it with the other presses which are so much more powerful and smoother mounted alongside. It may handle primers a little better than the 550 but has a very similar system. I'm indifferent to the auto-indexing after using the 550 for years. I feel like I can load faster on the 550 without auto-indexing.

David

One other thought- I agree with Foxbat. I would rather have 2 650s than the 550, 650 and SDB. One for large primers and another for small. Changing primer sizes, even with 2 separate complete primer assemblies, is a PITA on the 650 IMO. Shooting volume in a good year is 30K-40K. I still use my single stage presses from time to time, too. Don't get rid of the single stage when you buy a progressive. It's really handy to have and I wouldn't consider setting up on a progressive to load even 50 rifle rounds.

David

I was lucky and got my 1050 for less than the cost of a 650, I can't see loading on something less now, but time is a premium for me. When I load on a two stroke press my elbow quickly get sore also, and I don't want to damage that more than I have to.

I have 2 1050 presses and a 650.

The 1050's are dedicated right now for .40 and .38 Super. The 650 is my change over low volume press. Right now it is set up for .45.

The 1050s when set up right are unbeatable. I can probably hit 1000 per hour, but generally go slower, the 650 is about half to 3/4 that. The 1050 swages the primer pockets and then seats the primer fully. Clean it occasionally, lubricate it and go to town. Note, I have rebuilt both presses one time, bearings were worn out.

Now the 650, nice press and if I could only have one, I might just keep the 650 as it is cheaper to do change overs but the 1050 is the hands down winner on volume loading.

I do load both limited and production 40 and Major and Steel loads on the two 1050s. WHat I did was get micrometer seating dies and extra powder measures. About a 5 minute or less change over for PF, caliber chages are a bit longer, but buying additional tool heads is the way to go vs changing the dies.

Jim

but the 1050 is the hands down winner on volume loading.

Jim

Something must be very wrong with me, because I routinely do 100 rounds in 5 minutes on the 650's, and definitely less on the 1050 - the 1050 simply takes higher effort to operate. The 650, by comparison, especially on calibers like .40, takes virtually no effort at all.

This is not critical either way to me, as raw speed is not important - I spend almost as much time sorting the ready ammo and putting it in the boxes, as loading it. And I usually don't load more than 300-500 in one session, but do it three or four times a week.

but the 1050 is the hands down winner on volume loading.

Jim

Something must be very wrong with me, because I routinely do 100 rounds in 5 minutes on the 650's, and definitely less on the 1050 - the 1050 simply takes higher effort to operate. The 650, by comparison, especially on calibers like .40, takes virtually no effort at all.

This is not critical either way to me, as raw speed is not important - I spend almost as much time sorting the ready ammo and putting it in the boxes, as loading it. And I usually don't load more than 300-500 in one session, but do it three or four times a week.

More likely there's something wrong with your 1050.....

Even with swaging, it's a shorter, lighter, more efficient stroke in my experience. 100 rounds can easily be knocked out in 3-3.5 minutes....

• 1 year later...

I have a 550, 650, and a 1050, plus a Forster single stage.

I use the 550 for my 308.

I use the 650 for 9mm, and bulk depriming of 223 and 308.

I use the 1050 for 223. I got the 223 primarily for the swager because I use alot of range brass a good portion of which is crimped. Now I dont have priming problems.

I like the 1050 over the 650 primarily because I wont waste a primer when there is no shell present.

Dillon - here's how to make a PERFECT machine:

Start with a 650, add a swager like on the 1050, change the primer system to the 1050 style.

Do this and there will never be a need for any other reloader.

Dillon - here's how to make a PERFECT machine:

Start with a 650, add a swager like on the 1050, change the primer system to the 1050 style.

Do this and there will never be a need for any other reloader.

Won't work. The shell plate moves on the 650, so you're not going to be able to prime on the down stroke (or swage) the way a 1050 does.

Kyle's right, it's meant to be a commercial machine.

MOO, the 1050 is a great machine.  Station 2 takes a swager for handling military primer pockets.  Do note however the price of additional heads, accessories et. al.  Also note that the stroke on the regular 1050 (not the new Super 1050) is too short to load rifle.  I've thought about this a great deal, and my next press (got two hands, need two presses) will be a 650.  Muy less expensive to start and for all the gadgetry.

Ross

ya but i mean honestly if you can afford a 1050 then swapping and buying tool heads should be nothing to you.. just my .02 cents

I still maintain that an average guy will be much better off buying two 650's instead of one 1050. I like the 1050, but most people will never need the swager, and I am not so sure the primer system on the 1050 is superior - I had many more issues with it than I ever had with the 650's. OK, maybe my sample was a lemon, but the number of problems I had with the machine was huge, especially when comparing to pretty much flawless operation of the 650's.

Also, it seems like two totally different design teams engineered the main mechanism and the rest. The central mechanism is robust, but all those brackets and external additions... frankly, they are much below par in design area. I ended up modifying many of those, making the machine much more convenient to use.

I would agree on this. I loaded first on a SDB and then a 550B for 5 years before taking the plunge and purchasing a 1050. I thought for almost twice the money I would have a machine that was more reliable and less needy in terms of the constant tweeking and tuning the 550b requires. That was not the case, the 1050 requires even more. If you are looking for trouble free loading I would stick with the SDB or the 550B with a case feed. This is not an isolated case of lemon machines. Read the archives.

I could not image loading the volume of ammo I used to load (40-50,000 rounds/year) on a 550 or a 650. Once my 1050 was dialed in (didn't take much fine tuning), I could roll 100 rounds out of it in 3.3 to 3.5 minutes (in 40 S&W).

be

As a commercial loader, I am seeing more brass that has crimped primers. 9X19, 40 and 45 Auto, especially with small primers.

The 650 cannot process crimped primers. Period. Who has the time to deprime and decrimp them on a separate device?

For the high volume/commercial loader, the 1050 IS the go to press.

I've never ran a 650 so I can't comment on their capabilities, but I will say that with a 1050 that is properly tuned you can turn out extremely good ammunition at 1000 rds / hr. The primer pocket swage and priming on the downstroke are also incredibly important to me.

I only reload 9mm and 40sw and I have a SDB. I don't have enough room for two reloaders and would rather spend more money on shooting than reloading so I bought another toolhead and in 10 minutes I can change out calibers and start to reload again. Just food for thought... I did buy the toolhead from Brian, thanks Brian! :cheers:

• 7 months later...

I placed the order for my 1050 with Brian on Monday and the tracking info indicates it will arrive this Friday. My 550 w casefeeder runs like a champ and I average about 7 mins per 100, but really am looking forward to priming on the downstroke. Reading about all of the priming issues on the forum had me a little scared, but too many people I know swear by their 1050s .

Like Thorpe, this thread has made me feel even better about the decision...

Cheers,

Allen

I just upgraded from a 650 to a 1050 about 3 months ago, I will admit it takes a little time to get dialed in, but when you do it

is so much easier than the 650. Priming,pulling the handle, it is all better. If you can swing the 1050 do it you wont regret it.