Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Production with G35 9mm conversion barrell.

andyroth

I know it is technically against the rulebook, but has anyone had any success shooting 9mm with a G35 in Production? Im talking just local club matches. Edit: with permission from match coordinators...

Afaik, it doesn't give you any advantage and is just like shooting a G34. I'm not trying to get an unfair advantage, just want to save some money. If i find out it gives me some advantage I of course won't do it.

Thoughts?

Edit: nevermind, i didnt think about classifiers and such. I'm just going to shoot limited until i can reload and make a minor PF .40 load.

Edited by andyroth

Sure. Now for the tough question... What powders can you get your hands on?

180 Hornady XTP with 3.4 grains of Alliant Bulls Eye at OAL 1.135" yields ~754fps 135PF

180 Hornady XTP with 3.7 grains of W231 at OAL 1.135" yields ~713fps 128PF

180 Hornady XTP with 4.5 grains of Alliant Power Pistol at OAL 1.135" yields ~771fps 138PF

155 Hornady XTP with 4.7 grains of Alliant Power Pistol at OAL 1.125" yields ~815fps 126PF (very close to the edge- test in your barrel!)

OP , you want to shot G35 9mm conversion barrell.

Then you are fine, the USPSA rule is against a conversion barrel. Maybe it's against IPSC rules in France to use a conversion barrell, but not in the US. HiTek bullets are just fine in both OEM Glock barrels and conversion barrels, which are rifled. No need to pay for the higher priced jacketed. I switched to HiTek Bayous after my blood lead got to 25 from running Bear Creek molys. It dropped to 8 in 4 months (6-8 matches a month outdoors), about the same as my buddies to like to run Montana Gold and Zeros. I have run Bayous in my G31 .357SIG to 1,440 with no mess. The coating does not come off on your hands or gum up your dies. While there is nothing wrong with shooting premium self defense/hunting bullets, like the XTP's, there is no reason to either. They cost more than 2.5 times as much, and after all, it only has to punch thru card board at 3-15 yards 95% of time....

Then you are fine, the USPSA rule is against a conversion barrel. Maybe it's against IPSC rules in France to use a conversion barrell, but not in the US. HiTek bullets are just fine in both OEM Glock barrels and conversion barrels, which are rifled. No need to pay for the higher priced jacketed. I switched to HiTek Bayous after my blood lead got to 25 from running Bear Creek molys. It dropped to 8 in 4 months (6-8 matches a month outdoors), about the same as my buddies to like to run Montana Gold and Zeros. I have run Bayous in my G31 .357SIG to 1,440 with no mess. The coating does not come off on your hands or gum up your dies. While there is nothing wrong with shooting premium self defense/hunting bullets, like the XTP's, there is no reason to either. They cost more than 2.5 times as much, and after all, it only has to punch thru card board at 3-15 yards 95% of time....

Gordo, my friend, could you please cite the rule that says you can convert a .40 to 9x19 in Production?

He said "barrells" not "barrels" get it? Le two L's, It's legal in France for IPSC. Barrells. In French, it means "Le Conversation" A joke? Spell Checker.... Apparently does not translate. Like Limes Disease. I am a Mime, not a Lime, conversion........ "I am not a 40S&W, I am a 9mm"

Mime-g.jpg

Edited by 9x45

No, ick, but he doesn't know that his sir name is actually German! Dünner, Mixed with the Irish, potatoes and BratWurst. But Chuck, he does have that hair!!!

Is this Dunner? or what

Beavis-and-Butthead-It-s-A-Miserable-Lif

Edited by 9x45

True. Clays makes a darn nice 40 Minor load too. Soft shooting...especially with 180's.

Hi-Tek coated can work fine in your factory barrel, Andy.

Jacketed is often the easiest to start with for new reloaders and can present less complications. Keep it simple at first, especially for competitions, until you get some more reloading experience under your belt.

You asked for a few suggestions specifically used in a G35, but there are numerous options out there...including coated.

True. Clays makes a darn nice 40 Minor load too. Soft shooting...especially with 180's.

Hi-Tek coated can work fine in your factory barrel, Andy.

Jacketed is often the easiest to start with for new reloaders and can present less complications. Keep it simple at first, especially for competitions, until you get some more reloading experience under your belt.

You asked for a few suggestions specifically used in a G35, but there are numerous options out there...including coated.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice

• 10 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 5:19 PM, 9x45 said:

Is the conversion barrel not legal in all of USPSA in all divisions?. I was thinking about using my G35 with a 9mm conversion barrel in CO