Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinons on 9 or 40 for 3 gun.

CrashDodson

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, feel free to move it. There is not a pistol section in multigun.

I currently have a 40 limited gun for USPSA and a 9mm XDM for IDPA/3gun. I would like to get a 2011 for IDPA so my pistol training is consistent. I am setup to load 40 already, and 40 lite is a pretty soft shooting round.

Would i be at a major disadvantage in 3 gun by running a 40 rather than 9 due to magazine capacity differences? My reason for looking at 40 is because I can already load 40 and can likley use the same mags if they will fit in the IDPA box. I will likley have to run 126mm mags in idpa. In IDPA the bigger hole might save a point or two from time to time :)

I run a 9 and 40 in 3 gun. Chances of shooting 23 rds from one position is not likely. I am more accurate with the 6" 40. If the targets get small and far I go with the 40. I can load my 40 softer than my 9mm.

With one second down per point coming to Idpa a 40 makes more sense with the bigger bullet.

Hello: Do you mostly shoot lost brass matches then go 9mm. A 121 grain bullet in a 6" gun is a sweet shooter. Since you shoot IDPA a 5" gun in 9mm is nice as well. You can have two barrels fitted to it one with a bushing and a bull for 3-gun. I have one in 40 and it shoots great. 155 grain 40 bullets minor for IDPA and 180 grain for USPSA. If you trust a big bullet to get you the point 80% of the time you won't get it-at least I don't seem to :roflol: Thanks, Eric

When I first started getting interested in Limited Div and 3-gun I did the one-gun-to-rule-them-all and went with a 2011 Eagle in .40SW. I chose the Eagle (as opposed to the Edge) because at the time I was also shooting IDPA and needed that SDC and bushing barrel to stay legal in ESP. I ran major PF and 140mm mags for Limited, minor PF with 140mm mags for 3-gun, and minor PF with 126mm mags for IDPA. I worked up a minor load that was stupid-soft recoiling but had to switch springs in order for the gun to eject the cases cleanly.

I did that for a couple of years, but eventually came to the conclusion that if I was going to shoot minor I much prefer the snappier recoil of a 9mm so I had a 9mm slide/barrel fit to the Eagle's frame.

Hello: Do you mostly shoot lost brass matches then go 9mm. A 121 grain bullet in a 6" gun is a sweet shooter. Since you shoot IDPA a 5" gun in 9mm is nice as well. You can have two barrels fitted to it one with a bushing and a bull for 3-gun. I have one in 40 and it shoots great. 155 grain 40 bullets minor for IDPA and 180 grain for USPSA. If you trust a big bullet to get you the point 80% of the time you won't get it-at least I don't seem to :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Can I ask why the smaller bullet for minor? My minor load is shooting 730 fps with a 180grain. It's really soft.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'd get a 9mm and call it a day - I've shot 40s loaded down to minor PF, but the 147 grain at PF seems to be the best balance of everything. Additionally, in general, 9mm brass is easier to come by at USPSA, 3 gun, speed steel matches.

Major disadvantage? No, but depending on stage design, you may end up with an extra reload.

A friend of mine shoots his STI Edge in USPSA limited and 3gun with no issues. He does have to do an extra reload every once in a while but that's the least of his worries. The only perceived advantage to 40 for 3gun is the ability to shoot 40 major for spinner targets, but I haven't had any trouble spinning them with 147s in 9... so long as I hit the plates.

In my STI mags with TTI guts, I can get 24+1 at the start and with the worn springs, I'm getting 24rds reloadable in the mags. There were a few times at the Surefire World Multigun Championship this weekend, where I picked up my mags after a stage and the gun was empty, mag on the ground had 1, 2, or 0 rounds left... more is always better, but it depends on the matches you intend to shoot. I actually like my Akai 2011 9mm so much that I shoot it in USPSA (minor) and in 3gun. So shoot what makes sense to you and you enjoy.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, feel free to move it. There is not a pistol section in multigun.

I currently have a 40 limited gun for USPSA and a 9mm XDM for IDPA/3gun. I would like to get a 2011 for IDPA so my pistol training is consistent. I am setup to load 40 already, and 40 lite is a pretty soft shooting round.

Would i be at a major disadvantage in 3 gun by running a 40 rather than 9 due to magazine capacity differences? My reason for looking at 40 is because I can already load 40 and can likley use the same mags if they will fit in the IDPA box. I will likley have to run 126mm mags in idpa. In IDPA the bigger hole might save a point or two from time to time :)

I have both. I started with the .40 edge. If money is no object go with the 9mm. However if you want one pistol to play a lot of different games go with the .40.

Pat

If this gun will serve multiple roles, the 40 S&W. If it's sole purpose is 3 gun, 9mm is what you will see in the vast majority of holsters. Only on rare occasion do I see 40s on the range, although I do have two buddies that use them. One also shoots USPSA, the other got a smoking deal on a very nice Infinity he couldn't pass up. As mentioned above, it is all about round count. You can never have too much ammo! 4" round steel knock overs @ 25 yds, shotgun clays @ 30 yds, 1/2 size steel IPSC target @ 125 yds (yes, had that on a stage before), all the new generation Texas Star rigs....you get the picture. Bottom line, for the majority of us, you won't be hamstrung running the 40 instead of a 9mm. But if you need a good excuse to buy a new gun to be "competitive", you really need to get a 2011 in 9mm for 3 gun. ;)

6d305dd5-d560-455a-92fe-2747ef47720a.jpg

If this gun will serve multiple roles, the 40 S&W. If it's sole purpose is 3 gun, 9mm is what you will see in the vast majority of holsters. Only on rare occasion do I see 40s on the range, although I do have two buddies that use them. One also shoots USPSA, the other got a smoking deal on a very nice Infinity he couldn't pass up. As mentioned above, it is all about round count. You can never have too much ammo! 4" round steel knock overs @ 25 yds, shotgun clays @ 30 yds, 1/2 size steel IPSC target @ 125 yds (yes, had that on a stage before), all the new generation Texas Star rigs....you get the picture. Bottom line, for the majority of us, you won't be hamstrung running the 40 instead of a 9mm. But if you need a good excuse to buy a new gun to be "competitive", you really need to get a 2011 in 9mm for 3 gun. ;)

6d305dd5-d560-455a-92fe-2747ef47720a.jpg

What barrel is that? Nice looking pistol!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk