Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 vs. 34

BuellX1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never could tell much difference in the 4"vs5" barrel.

Took me a bit to get the hang of my G34, but after some trigger time I feel much more comfortable with the longer sight radius... and oh yeah the longer barrel.

While not needed or maybe even practical for competition, I enjoy shooting it @50 yards or beyond :D

Edited by safeactionjackson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one 17 I bought for IDPA and one 34 I built 2 slides to run Open Minor and Limited Minor (really for Steel Challenge and 3-gun). I prefer the balance of the 34 and the longer sight radius when using the DP sights. I like having a little more weight on the end of the gun.

To add to (or maybe sidetrack unintentionally) the conversation....

Im going back to a 34 this year, but decided on getting the 34 MOS so I could fart around in CO if I wanted to as well. I won't be able to have much time to dedicate to practice this year, so I have no delusions of being competitive, just looking to have fun. I really enjoyed running a gen 3 34 in prod (minus the slide bite) and can't wait to try the 34 MOS with the backstraps to match my 19

I agree with others that the 34 presents no mechanical accuracy advantage. When I was regularly practicing I was actually a tad slower with it out of the holster for some reason as well... But, there was always something about how the sights seem to settle back down to where I thought they should be faster. Not at all scientific, just my perception

Edited by xxDRBxx

I had a 17 and now shoot a 34, only real difference is how much I practice now versus when I had the 17. Either one you pick just make the modifications you want ie sights, trigger, springs and dry fire and live fire practice as much as you can.

A few years ago, three of us from our gun club shot the IDPA classifier back to back using the Glock 17 and 34. All three of us scored better with the the 17 on that day. Since then it's been a flip of the coin as to which I shot better. Neither seems to have a distinct advantage over the other in my hands.

I have both and for me it's the 17 hands down based on feeling as well as scoring. I chose it over the 34 for my production gun as I just don't like the way the 34 handles without a magwell. To me it just feels slow and unbalanced when compared to the 17. I have since turned the 34 into a Limited minor/ESP gun and it is fantastic when built for those divisions. I would say spend some time shooting both, if you can, and see how they stack up for you.

• 5 months later...