Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for new USPSA competitors

MilkMyDuds

Thanks. I did read the rule book back to back once. Pretty straightforward and easy to understand. Gonna read it a bit more.

Some newbie questions (might have overlooked some of these in the rule book):

1. Does USPSA have classifier matches besides individual classifier stages in regular matches? The rule book says "twice a year" but I looked around and don't think my local clubs are doing any of that. Typically, most clubs hold one all classifier match a year.

2. Does USPSA have match bumps? yes UH, page 5 of the rule book. :)

3. How many mags should a production shooter carry? I have seen 4 and 5 as the norm. I guess it depends on the stage round count and if the stage starts unloaded or not? 5 be on the safe side? Most probably carry 5

Thanks.

Edited by Sarge

Get a USPSA style belt, DOH holster, 5 mag pouches. Wear grippy shoes like trail running ones or even football cleats.

Learn what hit factor is and how what you do effects it. Learn the scoring and the zones as they are physically different.

Regardless of what you hear from your IDPA friends, USPSA is not spray and pray. Yeah hf is points divided by time, but you gotta have points. The penalty for a miss (mike) or no shoot is worse in USPSA. You can almost never get a 0.0 for score on an IDPA stage but you sure can in USPSA.

Do everything but pulling the trigger as fast as possible. You already have the basics, now just apply and fine tune them to a different game.

And yes, as a fellow IDPA Master in multiple divisions it was humbling to move to USPSA and start out as a B first classification. But that should tell you something and encourage you to continue. No matter which one you do, always strive to swim in the deep end of the pool.

Get a USPSA style belt, DOH holster, 5 mag pouches. Wear grippy shoes like trail running ones or even football cleats.

Learn what hit factor is and how what you do effects it. Learn the scoring and the zones as they are physically different.

Regardless of what you hear from your IDPA friends, USPSA is not spray and pray. Yeah hf is points divided by time, but you gotta have points. The penalty for a miss (mike) or no shoot is worse in USPSA. You can almost never get a 0.0 for score on an IDPA stage but you sure can in USPSA.

Do everything but pulling the trigger as fast as possible. You already have the basics, now just apply and fine tune them to a different game.

And yes, as a fellow IDPA Master in multiple divisions it was humbling to move to USPSA and start out as a B first classification. But that should tell you something and encourage you to continue. No matter which one you do, always strive to swim in the deep end of the pool.

Excellent and inspiring suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks. I did read the rule book back to back once. Pretty straightforward and easy to understand. Gonna read it a bit more.

Some newbie questions (might have overlooked some of these in the rule book):

1. Does USPSA have classifier matches besides individual classifier stages in regular matches? The rule book says "twice a year" but I looked around and don't think my local clubs are doing any of that. Typically, most clubs hold one all classifier match a year.

2. Does USPSA have match bumps? yes UH, page 5 of the rule book. :)

3. How many mags should a production shooter carry? I have seen 4 and 5 as the norm. I guess it depends on the stage round count and if the stage starts unloaded or not? 5 be on the safe side? Most probably carry 5

Thanks.

Now I see the paragraph about match bumps, but there are so many "may"s that it sounds a bit funny :)

And this is my favorite part of the rule book:

If you feel your classification is too low, you may request the next higher class, up to but not including Grand Master. Requests are made in writing and submit-ted with a letter from your club president or Section Coordinator (SC) endorsing your request. If your request is approved, you will be moved up at the next regu-lar calculation period.

USPSA is not a gear race, yet it is a mental race.

If your gear works and is safe, then you are good. Beyond that? Get fast and accurate, quickly.

"when you first start, go slow and get your hits" and you will finish close to the bottom. However, if when you first start and you go fast and don't get your hits you will still finish close to the bottom.

Use your dryfire and your other practice to get as fast and accurate as you can as quickly as you can, if you want to be competitive. If your goal is to have fun and just shoot, then all this is moot. If you want to get better, then get a class from a good instructor.

What rule allows a move up in classification? I see a rule that allows a move down based on medical issues, with written confirmation from officials. Move up? Only by performance by a classifier or match win.

• 2 weeks later...

9x45

I just looked it up on the USPSA web site. It says if you feel you are classified too low you can request in writing to be moved up. It's on page 5.

OK, why would you want to move up? To get into the lower 1% of your Class and get hammered by a guy 1% away from the next class?

• 4 weeks later...

The first USPSA match I ever saw I shot in.

I showed up with an Uncle Mikes holster and a hip pocket full of mags.

I didn't have a clue and I was my squads entertainment for the day.

They fast became some really great friends.

I wouldn't want to change anything about that experience.

Beware of becoming addicted to the camraderie displayed by the shooters and especially the people who put on the matches if you are of an inclination to help out regularly. You may find out that it becomes more fun to set up and run a good match and watch others having a great time than actually shooting it yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Beware of becoming addicted to the camraderie displayed by the shooters and especially the people who put on the matches if you are of an inclination to help out regularly. You may find out that it becomes more fun to set up and run a good match and watch others having a great time than actually shooting it yourself.

So true. People were friendly enough, but showing up to help and sticking around to break down really makes you feel (and be treated like) a member of the club. Getting RO certification and doing some stage designs made it even better. Much as I love the actual shooting, that's only part of what I get out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

showing up to help and sticking around to break down really makes you feel (and be treated like) a member of the club.

That's one other bitch I have about IDPA, though it's really the local clubs fault; I stayed after my first match to break down, hauled stuff out back to the trailer. The RO and match director didn't even stick around to tell me my score, or say much of anything. I had to go to the clubs web forum and bug them to post the scores (scores from subsequent matches had been posted almost immediately.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk