Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun?

StraightSh00ter

I'm looking at getting my second gun (9mm). One thing I've realized is that I really like the low-mount/tactical rear sights as opposed to the Bomar/LPA sights. I also like stainless, or I guess hard chrome.

Here's my choices:

1) STI Lawman: Has the sight I like, needs ambi safety and magwell. Comes in Cerakote so I would get it hard chrome plated. Approximately $1600 complete.

2) S&W 1911 Pro: this one fits my hand the best. I'd have to change out trigger parts to get rid of the grip actuated firing pin safety, and change out the rear sight for an adjustable.

Approximately $1600 complete.

3) Sig Stainless Match Elite: I have one already, runs amazing. Not the best fit but I'm still working on that. I don't really like the rear sight though, I wish it had a Novak lo-mount adjustable but there's nothing I can do about that. Needs a trigger job and grips, and that's about it.

Approximately $1100 complete w/ trigger job and magwell.

4) Kimber Custom II: Least expensive option which leaves money for customization. The fit is decent and I can likely get the sight I like, although maybe with a bit of work.

$1200 for gun, sight, trigger/safety work and magwell. I don't know what this gun would need over time.

Writing this all out makes me feel like I should just go with the STI due to my feelings about Sig's LPA sight.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

It would be a second Sig - I've just got the one and need another. I don't really know the details about changing the finish, but I talked to the company that does the plating (same company that does it for STI) and they weren't concerned. I guess they know where and how much material to remove/add when they do it.

Of those I'd go the s+w or the sTI but refinishing a brand new gun seems silly when you can just buy it how you want it.

Consider Springfield loaded.

Proper series 70 type trigger.

Internal extractor

Nice stainless finish (polished on flats bead blasted on curves)

The couple I've felt were fitted very well at slide to frame, bush and barrel lugs. I've heard of some bad ones though.

It will leave money to get the sights you want and whatever else.

I did some basics to mine:

Wilson drilled and tapped mag catch with paddle

Egw mainspring housing and magwell (removed ils)

Some spring tuning

Some work on the trigger

Pinned the grip safety

Egw mag catch lock

Wilson stainless checkering for the front strap

It could probably use a decent set of fire control parts but the trigger is actually surprisingly crisp.

As is its a shooter. Very accurate and very soft to shoot. :)

I didn't list Springfield because I don't see any advantage over the Sig, especially since the sights are the same. I appreciate that they are good guns though.

https://us.armscor.com/products/rock-ultra-fs-9mm $550

Meets all your requirements except finish and match trigger job. Add a match barrel bushing if needed and it will run with any of the others for a lot less money.

:eatdrink:

When I pick up an S&W or Sig in the gun shop I have a tough time putting them back down. When I pick up an RIA, I think "Hmm, not bad for the price" and put it down and move on. I was much more drawn to them before I started shooting my Sig, but after a few hundred rounds I guess I got spoiled.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Another thing to consider is customer service. STI's is awesome, not sure how Sig's is now, I seem to recall it used to not be that great. And I love my 9mm Trojan.

A RIA refinished to hard chrome would be a sight though. That brand name billboard on the slide is a turn-off.

They don't have the billboard writing on the slide anymore. I have that same RIA you linked to. It's a nice gun for the money and I use it as a backup Single Stack, but I'd pick my Trojan over it any day of the week...

Sig's customer service is as good as it gets. I had a minor bug with my gun. I was emailed a 2-day shipping label, Sig had the gun for less than 2 days and sent it back 2-day shipping. Unfortunately the problem wasn't properly communicated to the gunsmith, so it did go back a second time. Same exact process, but I was told I would get a new gun if they didn't get it right. It was back in less than a week and now it's just right.

You need to put "Other" on there. My pick would be a Dan Wesson Pointman PM9. I have one and hands down it better than the other's on your list, IMHO. It does have the bomar style sights, but it is stainless and has a super smooth action. Best trigger out of the box on any 1911 I have ever felt.

Regards

Edited by shotgunone

You need to put "Other" on there. My pick would be a Dan Wesson Pointman PM9. I have one and hands down it better than the other's on your list, IMHO. It does have the bomar style sights, but it is stainless and has a super smooth action. Best trigger out of the box on any 1911 I have ever felt.

Regards

That would have been my suggestion as well, but it does have Bomar style sights, which is something the OP was adimit about not having.

If you like your Sig but wish it fit better, consider going with the Sig 1911 STX. http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-stx.aspx It has the Novak lo-mount adjustable rear sight. It is more gun than the Match Elite. Since it is the older Sig styled series (not the newer traditional Series) fit is much better. I have a Sig 1911 Tacops (not traditional series) and the fit of everything was as good as you could ask for.

You could also consider the Stainless Steel target. http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-stainless-super-target.aspx However, it does not have the sight you are looking for.

I have not complaints about the fit of the Sig, I just don't like the LPA sights. Something about the lo-mount or combat style sights just seems more natural and quick to me - maybe it has to do with seeing the barrel in my peripheral vision or something. Bomar is better than LPA but still not the same. But the Sig is the nicest gun I've ever shot up to this point, no question about it.

I have the S&W Pro, especially in 9x19mm I think its the way to go. 9mm 1911's tend to run a little finiky, the S&W with the extenal extractor has run the best as far as I've seem.

There is nothing that "needs" to be changed in the trigger. If the safety bothers you...its all in your head. I don't even notice its there.

I have a STI Trogan in 9mm with 5 Tripp mags, 2 Dawson mags, 1 STI mag, a Dawson mag well, an extended mag release button, short curved trigger, Bladetech holster, ghost mag pouches and some extra parts. Gun has less than 2000 rounds thru it. No blemishes. $1200. I just got a STI Edge to shoot limited. I hate mag changes so no more SS. (Black blade front sight, no fiber optic).

Edited by Red Ryder