Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and the real world

CrashDodson

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real world cover? Really? In the 7 incidents that I have been involved in, and all the guys I know that have had to go to guns over the last 47 years, LEO and CCW, there was no cover anywhere, only reaction and movement. I think there should be far more emphasis on contact distance engagement and movement in training.

One of us misunderstood. In USPSA if a target or part of a target is painted black that area is considered hard cover. Any bullet that impacts solely in this black area does not receive a score.

Inside a house a bullet can go through half a dozen layers of dry wall and keep going into the outside.

FYI, not exactly scientific but pretty interesting

http://youtu.be/AXOIQgfvVlE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Rangerdug

• 2 weeks later...

Pistol rounds will go through drywall very easily, however if you hit studs, or shoot the wall at an angle, there is considerable defection. Door frames, corners and other structure actually does a decent job of slowing and stopping rounds. That said, I would not count my life on it.

• 1 month later...

Guess im not in the know about the kittens...

Every time you use the phrase 'real world' in conjunction with IDPA, god kills a kitten.

Pretty much hit it on the head.

...and every single time someone steps up on the pulpit to remind us, YET AGAIN, that "IDPA is just a game because they keep score" two kittens are created JUST so that they might also be killed.

Got to this discussion a little late. Had the same discussion with the guys we started IDPA with at our club in 98. Since several of us were either military or LEO, we knew that IDPA was not real tactical training but came to the conclusion that it was better than square range training and we tried to address some of the shortfalls with some creative stage design. For the Tueller drill, we took a wood H frame target stand and put lawnmower wheels on the corners. Took some vinyl downspouts, cut them in half to make ramp tracks and then set the target at the top of the ramp with a pin to hold it in place. We had a big hill as our backstop so there weren't any concerns about shooting over the berm. The stage instructions were " At the buzzer, engage the target with a minimum of 6 rounds.". The first time we did it we had the ASO pull the cord when the buzzer went off. The target started out slow but sped up as it came down the track. One of the desired outcomes was to see who stood in one spot and got run over by the target and who got off the line. The trick was running this as a "blind" stage that the follow on shooters couldn't see what was going on and adapt their strategy. Needless to say, we had some folks who made the proper "tactical" decision and moved off the line. Others had a close encounter with the target and a bewildered look on their faces when the target didn't stop.

We always felt blind stages provided the best measure of who could solve the problem without seeing them ahead of time. Some folks didn't like them and whined about the SO's having an advantage. I tried to design blind stages with small variables that changed the stage regardless who shot it and they get the least resistance in a club match because when you set them up in a state match, someone always whines about them.

One thing we always wanted to do was setup a stage and have a remotely controlled paint gun aimed 3-4" off of the barricade and have the shooters engage targets with a full face shield while having the paintball gun shooting back at them.

• 3 weeks later...

train·ing
ˈtrāniNG/
noun
noun: training

the action of teaching a person or animal a particular skill or type of behavior.

prac·tice
ˈpraktəs/
noun
noun: practice

the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use.

repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it.

IDPA is "practice," not "training."

train·ing

ˈtrāniNG/

noun

the action of teaching a person or animal a particular skill or type of behavior.

prac·tice

ˈpraktəs/

noun

the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use.

repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it.

Skills: Drawing, Reloads, Acquiring sight picture, Trigger control, Shot calling

Repeated exercises: Dry fire, Live fire

Actual application: Matches, "real life"

IDPA technically is both training and practice...just depends on the "Actual application"

Edited by IronArcher

• 2 weeks later...

train·ing

ˈtrāniNG/

noun

prac·tice

ˈpraktəs/

noun

Skills: Drawing, Reloads, Acquiring sight picture, Trigger control, Shot calling

Repeated exercises: Dry fire, Live fire

Actual application: Matches, "real life"

IDPA technically is both training and practice...just depends on the "Actual application"

I agree completely with this statement. As you stated depends on intent. a very wise man taught me that Stress or how we respond can be conditioned, he believed that since shooting at each other is impractical. That time was a great way to artificially induce stress. Thus why I got in to competitive shooting. To "Practice" and "Train" to cope with stress in an environment that is forgiving, rather then to learn in the "real world". Now this application does't completely negate the stress of really get shot at, but it helps to manage it better then if I didn't. It also builds instinctive actions of being able to shoot on the move accurately, with confidence. I can't say every persons motivation of shooting IDPA is like mine, or that the factors that led me to IDPA are the same but in the end honestly everyone that shoots in the matches I do is getting exactly the same training and practice I am, just at a different levels of understanding.

• 2 weeks later...