Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When your plan goes to $hit

CrashDodson

I run a FN SLP comp with a +4 extension. So I have a 12 round tube. In tac ops you can only start with 8+1. Last month on one stage I loaded 4 at the buzzer and went from there. This month the first string needed 8 shots so I chose to start shooting rather than start loading.

Anyone else running an extension in anything but Open? Do you load first or just let it depend on the stage?

Like 1 guy mentioned, practice loading from bolt lock. I grab my quad, drop one in the port and hit the bolt release with the heel of my palm while moving to load from the loading port. At Nordic this year, one stage was designed to go to bolt lock 9 times. A lot of guys closed the bolt while moving to the next location, loaded 2, cycled the bolt and shot to bolt lock again. I did just what I explained earlier and did well on the stage. After practicing it a few times, I sometimes plan it into my stage plan because it offers a quicker run vs stopping to load 2 in the middle of an array. Some say that using a matchsaverz in the middle of a stage is a mistake. Depends on the shooter. I'd see it as a mistake in your case because you went to bolt lock twice, unplanned, and it was the start of your problems. There's a million ways to skin a cat, you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Just like pistol... Get back to the plan, reset and move on. Once you missed, you compounded the problem.

I carry extra shells, usually on an extra carrier. If I really mess up, I will stop, put in the shells I need at that point, take a breath and continue my plan from that point. Hard to do, and you really need to practice that not in a match, but worth it.

Edited by MarkCO

Like 1 guy mentioned, practice loading from bolt lock. I grab my quad, drop one in the port and hit the bolt release with the heel of my palm while moving to load from the loading port. At Nordic this year, one stage was designed to go to bolt lock 9 times. A lot of guys closed the bolt while moving to the next location, loaded 2, cycled the bolt and shot to bolt lock again. I did just what I explained earlier and did well on the stage. After practicing it a few times, I sometimes plan it into my stage plan because it offers a quicker run vs stopping to load 2 in the middle of an array. Some say that using a matchsaverz in the middle of a stage is a mistake. Depends on the shooter. I'd see it as a mistake in your case because you went to bolt lock twice, unplanned, and it was the start of your problems. There's a million ways to skin a cat, you just have to figure out what works best for you.

9 times....I cant hold that many shells. Do you have a chest rig, multiple caddies and some in your pocket or what?

9 times....I cant hold that many shells. Do you have a chest rig, multiple caddies and some in your pocket or what?

All ammo was staged and running empty was the point.

I run a FN SLP comp with a +4 extension. So I have a 12 round tube. In tac ops you can only start with 8+1. Last month on one stage I loaded 4 at the buzzer and went from there. This month the first string needed 8 shots so I chose to start shooting rather than start loading.

Anyone else running an extension in anything but Open? Do you load first or just let it depend on the stage?

I have a +4 on the 1301 and I run Standard Division (IPSC), so starting is 8 (or 8+1). Depending on the stage I might load 2 before the first shot (with the factory spring it can hold 10 in the tube), or if there is a sufficient walk to the next spot leave it as is and load on the move. It all depends on the stage and if I see another competitor using a diffrent strategy that I can adapt to my plan.

With the Mossberg in Standard Manual and only 8 in the tube, this was not an option, so stage planning was based on this.

I MD/ROa local match that has shooters ranging from Pro series shooters to first timers. I get to see it all. My advice would be get back to your plan as fast as possible and stay on your load tempo. Trying to go faster than your ability leads to fumbled shells and missed shots. It snowballs quickly. I carry a classic 4 shell caddy. A miss gets replaced weak hand from that caddy.

Well my plan went to shit yesterday on a shotgun stage- 2 slugs on paper , 2 static clays, and a double texas star (followed by a rifle plate rack at 50 yards and 20 pistol pepper poppers).

Had I planned my shots just slightly differently, it would have been a breeze to get my shot string back on schedule and clear the double star before it started spinning. Instead, I screwed a shot in my loadout, and with mixed slugs and birdshot I had to re-count my possible combinations remaining in the tube so i didn't accidentally put a slug on steel and get DQed for the day. You might as well have been asking me to program NASA level calculus on the clock, and all the while the double spinner started to spin like mad.

My new advice is to formulate a plan that doesn't necessarily incorporate provisions for mistakes, but may mitigate time losses in the event that things do turn south. Risk Management vs. Creative loadout.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Risk Management vs. Creative loadout.

This is a very real thing. The stage I worked at RM3G this year started with two positions about 10 feet apart where you had to engage 3 clays and 3 slugs each. Most people found it more efficient to start slightly downrange, shoot 3 targets, move uprange, shoot 6 targets, then load into the last 3 targets, going back to the position they started. Candycaning at the start had the potential to allow the most efficient use of the two positions, but an extremely high risk of crashing and burning. Even the speedy people elected for a few extra strides of movement for ammunition clarity as opposed to the theoretically optimal plan with zero room for error.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we are drag racing with guns, make the time count.

Keep your head down and shoot the shotgun like a rifle and make every shot count.

If the round count has to be exact and there is an opportunity to load between arrays then do it if it won't be adding time.

Figure out where on your vest you will be at the end of the stage and stop loading there IF you haven't missed.

Keep your head down and shoot the shotgun like a rifle and make every shot count.

If the round count has to be exact and there is an opportunity to load between arrays then do it if it won't be adding time.

Figure out where on your vest you will be at the end of the stage and stop loading there IF you haven't missed.

I do wonder what I'm doing wrong to miss a short range steel knockdown with my shotgun. I've been shooting an improved modified choke here latley. I think at times I tend to sweep the gun across targets trying to go fast rather than actually aiming at each one before pressing the shot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I do wonder what I'm doing wrong to miss a short range steel knockdown with my shotgun. I've been shooting an improved modified choke here latley. I think at times I tend to sweep the gun across targets trying to go fast rather than actually aiming at each one before pressing the shot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When I miss close targets with the shotgun, clays or knock-overs, its always because the shot goes over the target. I have to remind myself to aim 6 o'clock low because my natural tendancy is to aim directly at it.

Yes,you need to pause, however briefly when shooting an array. I know it looks like the pros are not pausing because they don't hold and wait for the target to fall before moving on. They trigger the shot and move on seeing the target fall in their peripheral vision.

Edited by Willz

Improved modified!?!? I think you just answered your own question. I tried shooting LM exclusively for a while till I noticed the same problem. Got smart and patterned it, at 8yds it looked like 3 slug holes stacked on each other with a couple individual pellet holes in a 5-6" diameter spread around it. I decided I didn't like aiming at the center of close clays and started changing chokes.

When I miss close targets with the shotgun, clays or knock-overs, its always because the shot goes over the target. I have to remind myself to aim 6 o'clock low because my natural tendancy is to aim directly at it.

Yes,you need to pause, however briefly when shooting an array. I know it looks like the pros are not pausing because they don't hold and wait for the target to fall before moving on. They trigger the shot and move on seeing the target fall in their peripheral vision.

I dont have a lot of experiance with the shotgun. I definitely need to pattern my chokes. Reguarding your "aim 6 o'clock low'...So with the shotgun i should be aiming at the bottom of a popper or clay?

Edited by CrashDodson

Improved modified!?!? I think you just answered your own question. I tried shooting LM exclusively for a while till I noticed the same problem. Got smart and patterned it, at 8yds it looked like 3 slug holes stacked on each other with a couple individual pellet holes in a 5-6" diameter spread around it. I decided I didn't like aiming at the center of close clays and started changing chokes.

For close range would an improved cylinder be a better choice? The stock choke that came with the gun I think is a modified. I purchased a briley extended Improved Modified and a improved cylinder. I have not patterned either yet.

For close light targets such as clays an IC choke works well, Mod or LM is what I go with for heavier steel targets and distance. But again patterning your chokes is the way to go. A lot depends on your shotgun, barrel length, and what chokes, internal vs extended you are using. Every gun is a little different. My son runs an IC in his Benelli about 90% of the time and a MOD the rest.

gerritm

I dont have a lot of experiance with the shotgun. I definitely need to pattern my chokes. Reguarding your "aim 6 o'clock low'...So with the shotgun i should be aiming at the bottom of a popper or clay?

I'm mainly referring to clays on a stand/rebar or some sort and steel knock overs on a post type stand. Although I've shot right over the top of some of the tiny pepper poppers too.

I found that very close targets, with my shotgun and the LM choke I run 90% of the time, my shot will go over the target if I aim directly at it. By aiming 6 oclock low even if you are not directly on the target you will catch the base or stand and the target. At less than 5 yards your shot pattern is so tight no matter what choke, you have to be dead on.

Edited by Willz

Something is wrong with your fit or poa/poi. If you think about it your bead sits right on top of your barrel. If you put the bead dead center of the target at say 1 foot at most you would be 3/4" of an inch LOW....not high!

If you are hitting that high close up you are either not keeping your cheek weld or the gun isn't fit to you!

I'm a nobody, shooter wise, but I've seen many a shooter try to make up a miss with a single reload only to miss again. Why not save the "match saverz" for the end and just drop two in for the missed shot. (Since the penalty was too great for eating an FTN.) There's NO way to make up for a mistake in any COF, it's just a matter of preventing a total melt down "when the plan goes to $hit".

I would pretty much put it like this, you need to fix the problem right after it occurs, so if you miss a shot and have to make it up, then load one shell in right away and you are right back on your original plan immediately. if it happens again on the same stage, just repeat the procedure. The fact of it is you made a small mistake and the goal is to keep the mistake as small as possible. After it happens keeping the error As small as possible is all you can.

I know absolutely nothing about shotgun, but when I'm shooting USPSA Production and I unexpectedly need to do a standing reload, I'll still perform all other reloads according to my original plan, even if I only had to shoot one round after the standing reload.