Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Protection for a glasses wearer

St3v3

I apologise if this subject exists elsewhere, i couldn't find it..

I have worn glasses for shooting forever. I have shot some competitions with safety glasses and others with just my glasses. Would a shooter wearing glasses be made to wear additional eye protection in all competitions or in some are glasses acceptable as eye pro. Over many years I have been to local and national matches where MD and RO accept glasses wearers without requiring additional eye protection.

What is the current trend on this for major competitions and matches - can you get away with just your glasses, do they require safety/wrap around.

I have generally been unhappy with safety glasses worn over the top of everyday glasses, never getting a good fit or comfort.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of eye protection for wearing over glasses.

Thanx.

I have traditionally worn contacts and proper shooting glasses, but my eyes don't do well with the contacts in all the dust, sweat, sunscreen, etc. By the end of the day my eyes were so irritated I could barely open them. So, I started wearing my regular prescription glasses. They do not offer the same side protection, but they're much more comfortable and they are polycarb impact rated lenses. I plan to buy some prescription Rudy's here soon, but they're in the $350-$400 range to get them with presc. lenses.

Now days a lot of the prescription lenses are made with impact resistant materials. I've been hit in the lenses from fragments from shooting steel and have never lost a lense. They are certainly better than nothing and may very well be as good as some of the "safety glasses".

Polycarbonate prescription lenses qualify as 'safety glasses' - most quality safety lenses are polycarbonate. I am starting to realize that I should really be wearing my glasses when I shoot (if I don't get contacts). I can wear my prescription lenses but I would prefer to get a set of glasses just for shooting that offer more protection (in terms of coverage).

Polycarbonate lenses meet some of the higher grades of protection. There are 'ballistic grade' hardened polycarbonate that are the best I guess (Z87+).

I regularly visit large scale commercial manufacturing facilities (lots of OSHA visibility) and for the most part my polycarbonate lenses go without question. Some environments require side shields which I don't have. There are clip-on side shields though.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I find for a couple reasons that prescription shooting glasses (mine are Rudys) are the way to go. The glasses I wear that look okay don't offer any protection from the sides and bottom, and on top of that there will be a frame in the way if I try to shoot my rifles.

Did you get the inserts or the prescription lenses? I'm looking at getting the prescription lenses because I'm not a fan of the inserts. They are pricey though (not that my eyesight isn't worth it).

I find for a couple reasons that prescription shooting glasses (mine are Rudys) are the way to go. The glasses I wear that look okay don't offer any protection from the sides and bottom, and on top of that there will be a frame in the way if I try to shoot my rifles.

Did you get the inserts or the prescription lenses? I'm looking at getting the prescription lenses because I'm not a fan of the inserts. They are pricey though (not that my eyesight isn't worth it).

The benefit of inserts is your ability to change lens colors as the stage dictates. Color selection is such a personal thing that I went with inserts and a bunch of colors. After a while I determined that I would us just one or two different colors. At that time buying shooting glasses without inserts was much more cost efficient.

When you go to a match, you take backup gear. The glasses with inserts make a dandy backup set.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I got the inserts for price reasons, but it may turn out that the field of view they yield on your face isn't acceptable. They look bulky but they're honestly not bad.

I've had the Rudy's with the insert behind the shields (for the reasons above) and now I have Rudy's with the prescription in the shields. If you know what color you like, you can' beat digitally mapped wrap around prescription stuff. Yes they are expensive, but your eyes are irreplaceable, our hobbies are expensive, and if you prescription doesn't change very often they will last a good long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise if this subject exists elsewhere, i couldn't find it..

I have worn glasses for shooting forever. I have shot some competitions with safety glasses and others with just my glasses. Would a shooter wearing glasses be made to wear additional eye protection in all competitions or in some are glasses acceptable as eye pro. Over many years I have been to local and national matches where MD and RO accept glasses wearers without requiring additional eye protection.

What is the current trend on this for major competitions and matches - can you get away with just your glasses, do they require safety/wrap around.

I have generally been unhappy with safety glasses worn over the top of everyday glasses, never getting a good fit or comfort.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of eye protection for wearing over glasses.

Thanx.

I just wear my prescription glasses. Just make sure they are im poo act resistant.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences, Since starting this thread I have been giving the suggested shooting glasses much thought, I won't have a chance to sort out custom glasses before my upcoming competitions, my glasses are polycarb, but I am getting a pair of "shooting only" safety glasses after xmas in the new year.

I am thinking of the normal prescription lense for my left eye and my prescription with a +1 adjustment (as like reading glasses) for the right eye. This will allow me to see the sights easier, if I shoot with both eyes open, I'm told with practise i will learn to get my eyes and the glasses to work for me. (If I choose the right brand of shooting glasses I may also have an additional normal prescription lense for my right eye)

The next issue for me to determine is lense thickness. I have bad myopica, both eyes -6ish, this makes lenses thick at the edge if they are too big, so I'll have to look for shooting glasses which offer high index lenses or are capable of handling my prescription.

St3v3.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally use the Oakley M frames with the Grey lenses and have been really happy with them. The only exception is that the ear pieces aren't flat so there is a pressure point but it's not bad. I just got my new Ballistic 3.0s and love them. I got the clear and grey lenses. The frames are flat on the ears so no more pressure point.

I don't have much correction so I tried wearing just regular sun glasses or shooting sun glasses. I loved them but they weren't perscription. So now I get glasses from my HMO that have ANSI lenses, I pick a model that is full frame, will still work with over the ear ear pro and finally transition lenses so I also get some good sun protection or clear without ever having to change glasses.

Yes, your prescription glasses will work. Never had anyone question me about it. I've never worn anything but my regular prescription (or one adjusted for the proper focus) glasses and frames.

But, go with Poly Carbonate lens with scratch resistant coatings or if you go with traditional glass lens make sure it is tempered and treated.

Upside of glass is clearer vision, less likely to scratch, down side is they can get heavy depending on your prescription.