Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing dot on draw

blacklab

Did a little dry fire today. I think having a mag full of dummy rounds might help. I was also thinking about rushing the draw. Since it was pointed out to me, I'm a little less eager to go too fast. (Clint Eastwood makes it look so easy) I do see a little more consistency. I just hope this holds true when there' s 40 people standing there watching me this weekend, I think that may have a little to do with it too. Thanks for everyone's input. I was also wondering, how long do you dry fire? After about 15 to 20 min. my arms get tired and the dot starts to disappear again.

Edited by blacklab

Today went waaaaaaaay better. Thanks for everyone's advice. I took the draw a little slower and my times were faster.

ParaOrdnanceLarry, funny you mentioned the finger and toe thing. I found my self anticipating the beep way too much, and it made me want to rush the draw. After I made ready I started to wiggle my toes to take my mind off the timer. Helped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Glock 34 MOS. It has a Slide ride RMR. Any advice for finding that dot. I did okay on this last Sunday. First time ever using it i finished 17 of 42 overall. But on targets that were close I just kinda Pointed and prayed! haha the rmr is amazing just finding that damm dot for distance shots took what seemed like forever! Maybe I just need more practice with it as I said it was my first time shooting it at all with the RMR on it. Any advice for that would be greatly appreciated :)

Its just dry-fire. Pick a point on a wall and stay focused on that point while you draw the gun, only your arms should move, keep your head still. Do that for an hour and you'll get it.

Then pick a different spot at a different height or distance and do it again. Repeat strong-hand only and transfers to weak-hand. Repetition will burn it in and it doesn't use up any ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

The majority of the shooters I see with sight acquisition issues are causing the issue by bobbing their head down to the sights during the draw verses keeping their head still and bringing the sights to their eye.

Watch the below video of Max Michelle doing a draw, and two reloads all in the same string. I like this video because it shows his head and body position from three difference camera angles (Front, Back and Side). Now the hard part, IGNORE THE SHOOTING in the video. Instead focus on his head position verses the mount and presentation of the gun. You will notice that his head is stationary on the draw and reloads, with the only exception being the last reload since he has to bend at the waist a little bit to the right in order to access the second mag. Other than that his head is totally stationary during the draw, while shooting, and while reloading.

This is another good video to watch on the draw with Ron Avery as the instructor. Once again, watch the position of Ron's head while the does the draw. Then watch his student's head. The student is bobbing his head down to the sights every time. Bobbing your head down to the sights is a big time waster and makes it a lot harder to acquire the sights. Verses simply bringing the gun and sights up to your eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same thing happen when I went from the SIg P320 plastic gun to my Shadow. Empty mag makes a huge difference in weight and speed when it is coming up from the draw. I was overreaching everything with the extra weight and especially so when I was practicing with an empty gun and then shooting in a match. The switch from a polymer gun to a heavy gun has taken a while to get used to when talking about site acquisition.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that different grips on the gun are affected differently by tension in my hands. For example, when I had my left thumb riding firmly on the frame, changes in left hand tension would move the muzzle around. A similar thing happened (but worse) when I shot with my left index finger on the front of the trigger guard. Tension in your hands can very easily change between practice and timed fire.

My grip today is less influenced by hand tension/pressure, and is now showing me that tension still exists in other places (arms/shoulders) when I try to 'go fast'.