Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA multigun rules, 8" round knock over target.

USPSA rules. We had a weird event when one of the shooters shot the 8" round knock over target on the metal stick they sell and it spun around with out falling so the target was bladed toward the shooter. He shot several more times and it then rotated around 180 degrees mostly bladed again. By changing positions the target would have been accessible but just a strange occurrence to see.

Steel must fall? RO can call a hit? Re-shoot for range failure? I looked thru the rule book and could not find mention of a bladed target but remember something similar. Any direction appreciated.

RO 'determination'.

Steel must fall so i would score a miss.

I know some stands/plates have lips/flanges to try to prevent this.

8.4.24 Unlike Poppers, metal plates are not subject to calibration or calibration challenges.

If a scoring metal plate has been hit but fails to fall, self-indicate, or overturn as designed, the Range Officer shall determine

whether the plate is functioning as designed.

If found to be defective, the Range Officer shall declare

range equipment failure and order the competitor to reshoot the course of fire, after the faulty plate has

been rectified.

The Range Officer shall be the final arbiter as to whether the plate is functioning as

designed.

I would say unless the plate was designed to spin then it did not function properly, so REF and reshoot. All this wording does is allow for bad hits on plates to not automatically cause a reshoots (think shotgun plate not going down due to too few pellets hitting it, or lr rifle plate not indicating due to wimpy ammo, or handgun plate not falling due to super low hit or nick) as long as the plate functions as designed then no reshoots if as was described it spins or does some other strange thing it was not designed to do then reshoot.

Ask Jomar and Minnesota 3-Gun about those. They have heavier ones and lighter ones, and have been using them a couple years,

They are a much more consistent target presentation as well as not spinning, even if the stand has turned in the ground.

I think Mark was way smart to grab that target idea! Shotgun only!

I really like them!

Denise

To me, under USPSA rules a spun plate should be considered a REF and result in a reshoot.

The problem is in 3gun you may see quite a few spun plates do to marginal shotgun hits and resets and reshoots take a lot of time. I like the 3gn approach, a spun target is a hit target, move on. Depending on the stage design it isn't always possible to get a better angle at a spun plate.

I think the best answer is NOT to use targets that are able to spin...

Pipe or angle iron just plain works for shotgun.

If using knock down plates for pistol, make sure they have some way of preventing an edge-on presentation, or don't use them.

jj

Here is what I used at Novekse: https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12002037_1473612706275053_761322498905459335_n.jpg?oh=3c548cf088e793447a9d8a34a551d813&oe=566AFFAF

Technically, not a "USPSA" approved target, which is one of the big problems with the USPSA ruleset. A spun plate is a REF under USPSA rules dues to the safety issue of hitting the side of a plate with a pistol round. I guess they could not figure out how to address shotgun targets, but that is a different subject.

I ran the Novekse match as a Level 1 as I still think that the USPSA safety rules and procedures are the best, but they still need some serious work on the MG ruleset.

I have tried the hinged plates, the lip stand for plates, etc. Nothing better than the galvanized fence post pipe at this time. And they are cheap!

Is there any reason people don't use the IPSC KD targets found on page 63? Only thing I can think of is they are more work to make. Seems like there would be no possible way to spin.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesShotgun.pdf&ved=0CBsQFjAAahUKEwiStfvpk-rHAhVPW4gKHbuyCC0&usg=AFQjCNFqY5y8Y8nyZCjhOy7ep7uGeMKavw&sig2=obQLU6bs2B2l6OE6y_8ZCw

16 guage, 2 5/8" galvanized fence post pipe. About 5" long makes them about $.40 each if you buy new pipe. I found some used the other day for $1 per 6' sections. That is less than a dime per.

Mind you, I have tried angle iron, lots of types of pipe, plates, etc. This is the best so far.

• 5 months later...