Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering new build, which receiver set?

Headworked

I've always been a JP fan, and still am. Plan is to use pencil 16" barrel, adjustable GB, ultra LMOS, hyperfire Tarheel TG... My dilemma is which receiver set to pick up...? I've been using the Lancer L-15, and love the interchangeable magwell... Lookin for good dimensional accuracy, nice tight fit, hard anodized maybe? What say you, rifle builders?

Not sure what you are looking for, but there is a small company here in Penna. called Rowe tactical. They make a really nice billet set at a fair price. I don't do 3 gun but I did build a few on there match sets. Very happy with them. Look them up @ gunsinc.com. (Sorry, I don't know how to post links.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first 3gun build with joe bob outfitters Spartan billet lower and non reciprocating side charging upper ( same as gibbz) works very nice and uses any bcg group. great with rhino low mass bcg

Edited by Brian04rs

i think it's a quality piece at a great price. Got it for 250 from dsg. Rifle shoots nice and soft just like I planned haha. I'm a machinist by trade, and I can say it's amazing how skeletonized it is when you think about what it does, but if it's good enough for pat Kelley and Jesse Tischauser then it's good enough for me!

Besides the "I want" factor, any reason not to use Anderson Manufacturing upper and lowers? Seems to be the most cost effective way to get a receiver set.

As long as they are in spec, the only real difference in forged sets is the roll mark. Anderson is certainly an affordable option. My 3 gun rifle is built on a PSA forged lower and no name upper. The balance of the parts are top shelf and the build hasn't ever let me down. Forged is also lighter in most cases.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few differences that matter with receivers. I have seen a few features that I like but in the end don't "matter".

Seekins has a set screw for tightening the upper and lower fit. That is nice, but the three that I really like are that they use a set screw to hold the safety detent spring in instead of using the grip itself. Same thing with the rear takedown detent. Knowing that those aren't going to go flying when you take the grip and the buttock off is helpful. They also use a screw to hold the bolt catch in instead of that silly roll pin that I hate so much. Those things are nice during assembly, but once you get it built, you really aren't changing those things that often.

I'm sure that they're are others that have these options, I just know about Seekins having them.

My 3g rifle is built on a PSA blem upper and lower and holds 1/2MOA with my distance load.

Just put an order in for a F1 firearms skeletonized billet set in Orange. Saw one in action for the whole match at fnh and liked what i saw.

I have a PSA lower and aero upper that I'm building into a 300blk sbr. Parts seem good but I'm not far enough into the build to know 100%

Rest of the ARs are JP