Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Par time

rmj339

Not sure about a draw and fire 1 shot down zero.............not used much,,,,,,,,,most good shooters will go 2 to the body and 1 to the head and down 0 in a sub 3 seconds,,,,,,,,,,,2.50 would be good from cover?

It's concealment. El guapo makes a point...results are gear driven to an extent. A Glock 19 out of kydex should be knocking on 2 for "good" from "tacticool drapes" concealment. Great is somewhere near 1.5. The garment ain't much of a hindrance for the high-speed guys.

It's also seven yards. Come now, let us engage in feats of real marksmanship.

I find a 7 yard draw/double tap/-0 hits in 1.65 seconds to be very doable without a cover garment (which I believe should add no more than .25 sec to that time). A 2.15 sec 7 yard Mozambique (sans cover garment) and three -0 hits is also about a par time for me with revolver or 9mm semi-auto).

At a recent IDPA match (no cover garment required due to 98 degree Florida heat) we were doing a single draw and 7 yard shot... times for the top 25% of the field ran 1.15 to 1.40.... these were MA/EX class but there were a couple of SS in there... and one EX revolver guy. Add a modest .35 split for the second shot to that and you're right in that 1.65 second range. No one broke 1 sec.

I'm surprised so many people are OK with 1.5-2s, at my club most can get off a 7 yard draw under 1.5S from concealment and most of our talent is concentrated in the SS/EX range. At 7 yards assuming you practice you almost don't even need sights.

We were having drawing races goofing around after the match last week and our most competitive guys were just under 1 to about 1.2. A gamer vest from a natural start position doesn't really add much, if any time it seems. We had one guy who could pull off a 1.1 from an IWB under a T shirt, but he's an instructor for the range we shoot at and competes that way.

EDIT: All of that to say you'll pick up more time focusing on reducing transition time and position entry time than speeding up a draw.

Edited by ArrDave

I'm surprised so many people are OK with 1.5-2s, at my club most can get off a 7 yard draw under 1.5S from concealment and most of our talent is concentrated in the SS/EX range. At 7 yards assuming you practice you almost don't even need sights.

We were having drawing races goofing around after the match last week and our most competitive guys were just under 1 to about 1.2. A gamer vest from a natural start position doesn't really add much, if any time it seems. We had one guy who could pull off a 1.1 from an IWB under a T shirt, but he's an instructor for the range we shoot at and competes that way.

EDIT: All of that to say you'll pick up more time focusing on reducing transition time and position entry time than speeding up a draw.

The draw is an important part of the classifier. There's so many of them that slow adds up. I feel like a smooth and speedy draw helps get the gun out in a manner to allow a smooth and speedy stage. It seems to me that slow draw shooters aren't going to go any faster throughout the stage. If it takes four seconds to draw, we're looking at .75 splits and lunch by the second reload. It seems that the draw is the first thing folks want to work on so I guess they'll get to the finer points sometime around SS/EX...

Without concealment I've done it in .81 before. It's not consistent and its a lot of luck. Really good draw is in the .9-1 range and average around a 1.1

During a course with Vogel I managed a 1.08 at 15 yards on a ten inch plate. Once lol. I've always had really fast hands so a quick draw is something that's come naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

HK VP9, Kydex holster, 5-11 type vest, 21 ft, no points down = 1.2 sec

Most shooting academies will try and get their students down to 1.5 sec with one shot and with cover before they graduate

Same setup as above except without cover mozambique at 21 ft. = 1.5 - 1.6 sec.

It also depends on how you clear your cover garment. I clear my vest by pulling left on the back of the vest with my left hand.

Edited by zipollini