Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Senior (55+) Beginners

GunBugBit

First gun at 55

First PPC at 56

First IDPA at 57

Now reloading, RO, maybe instructor sometime in 2016.

I don't move quite as fast as I used to, hands aren't quite as steady, vision is the biggest challenge. If the competition has me down on the ground, usually need some provision like being able to set the firearm on the ground, as the knees are quite as young as they used to be. My first IDPA, my goal was to not be in last place, and I actually did pretty good. I'll never be in the top of the competition, I just hope for a clean IDPA round :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been my experience that many old guys maintain fast-twitch and coordination comparable to that of teens. Combine that innate capability with a seasoned mindset and polished shooting and handling skills, and you're looking at a true competitor.

On the flip side, you'll run across old guys such as myself who are just too lazy to excel...

For those of you bold enough to say so, who entertains the possibility of making GM despite giving a lot of shooters a multi-decade head start?

I think my plans have been pretty well advertised ... :)

But you're spending all of your time shooting Steel Challenge Open guns. Please go back to Production. I want to see you make it.
That's becuase I realized I can only make GM training with one gun at a time and for whatever reason I happen to be progressing much faster with the open rimfire gun so that's where I'm putting my effort. Also, it's a lot a fun showing up to almost any match and knowing I'm a legit threat to win. assuming they don't change the new planned rimfire classification system I'm currently sitting at 94.2% so it won't be long before I'll be resetting goals with another gun ...

I'm also hoping Mike Foley will instill some common sense back into CO so I can shoot my Shadow ...

Edited by Nimitz

It's been my experience that many old guys maintain fast-twitch and coordination comparable to that of teens. Combine that innate capability with a seasoned mindset and polished shooting and handling skills, and you're looking at a true competitor.

On the flip side, you'll run across old guys such as myself who are just too lazy to excel...

Excellent observation! Throw in an incredible desire to win and you have the makings of a champion .... Age is just another obstacle to overcome on the path to shooting greatness, nothing more ...

I started shooting competitions at about 52. I'll never be able to compete with the young guys, or even the older ones that have been doing it for years. I shoot for enjoyment and to be around like minded people. I was in law enforcement and didn't have the time or money to compete. In law enforcement, they teach you how to qualify, not how to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a couple of months ago aged 58, loving the heck out of it! Still shooting with club guns til about March '16 due to permit laws here in NZ, then I plan to start with a Beretta 92. Setting up for reloading too, being retired gives me the time to tinker away to my hearts content.

During a training shoot last week was instructed to go prone, now that was a lot easier a few years ago, is there an IPSC time allowance for old joints?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's nice to see a good representation of experienced guys. I'm interested in this as a hobby and while recovering from shoulder surgery, I'll see if I can find some local matches in Phoenix to both volunteer and learn by watching and asking questions. Mostly volunteering and watching since I don't even know what I don't know yet. That's part of the fun - the learning portion.

k7baixos, if you live in the northern part of the Phoenix area, you could come out to our Thursday night matches at the Ben Avery Practical Pistol Range. Just stand back with the main clusters of shooters waiting our turn as we go the stages, and help tape targets, reset steel, and pick up brass. Ask questions of the guys around you and watch, and you should have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is a good place for a first post.

I have purchased my first pistol. It's in the CA 10 day hold. I'll pick it up on Jan 2nd. 2 days after my 59th Birthday.

I'm a rank newbie at this point. I did qualify with the .38 Special back in the service. Had to carry conceled as part of my job back then, but that was some 28+ years ago. So newbie I am.

I lined up an NRA Basic Pistol course for this week, to get some basic safety and to start to re-learn how to shoot. While doing a range tour at Rainbow a chap walked over and chatted for a bit. Nice guy and from what I saw a really good shooter. Ran into him at a USPSA match on saturday. He's offered to help me get into competition. I've been a competitive archer for most of my life, so it's going to be an interesting transition.

Have been viewing 100s of videos through the process of selecting a gun to purchase, technique and now on USPSA matches. I really like the critique my match videos. Learning a lot watching and reading the comments. Been reading books in the evening. Picked up Enos' book a couple of days ago and Stoeger yesterday at the suggestion of my "mentor" (shush, he doesn't know he's my mentor yet :goof:).

Thanks,

Steve

This is all good insights on what to expect. I quit shooting 15 years ago and just restarting know that I have more time. At 58 my goal is to shoot two matches a month and practice twice a week.

Hopefully get to Limited B Class again by next year then A Class before my 60th bd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting back into USPSA after leaving the sport in 1994. I'll be shooting my first match in spring at age of 56, with the same open gun a had in 1994 it's a Para 38 super. I never sold my stuff off and I'm glad I did, only thing is my belt don't fit on more, it must have shrunk with age.

• 2 weeks later...

My first post too. Been lurking for a while.

I turned 55 in october. Passed safety class december. I had planned on practicing at the local range, but tore my shoulder at work. So i think im out for a few weeks :(

Sad thing? I was completely stoked to do this. My range has uspsa or idpa local matches every Sunday. Practice is Saturdays, 930 -130. Im so bummed... I ran my g22 at the class and did surprisingly well. Happy with the truglow, trigger, and my .40 reloads. I too had to take time out to raise a family of three wonderful children. They all shoot, but wish i could get them out to matches as well.

I am happy to see how many ol farts here started late in life. Our safety class had 16 people (max) half were 55 or older. Our range makes you attend the 6 hour class before you can run practice on the action pistol range. I learned alot, about the safety and rules of the game.

Good luck to all you ol farts!

Dino

My Dad ran a Jr rifle club for many years and he started me at age 9. For years this was what we did. Once in college I did very little shooting.

New to handguns at age 55, I shot a handful of IDPA matches SSP in 2014. Then in 2015 I bought a revolver and shot 10 local steel matches with it, the first match was the 3rd time I ever shot a revolver.

My score in that first match was probably the all time worse on record. By mid season I had reduced my time by half, at the end of the season by another half. Still, to be competitive I have to reduce my time by yet another half. Doable? Yes, will it happen? not sure. Still, my "skills" with a revolver are so much better now and it's fun. My first match I came very close to actually running out of ammo. Now I'm considering challenging myself to doing some stages this coming year without the possibility of doing any reloads--I have a 6 shot 686 so just approaching the firing line with 5 speed loaders is a bit scary.

Others might disagree with my thinking but I actually have an 8 shot 929. It's new in the box, I haven't even cleaned the factory oil off it yet. If I put that gun in service I will have 3 extra rounds for steel and 1.5 inches more barrel. On the other hand If I tough it out with a 4" barrel and 6 rounds in the cylinder I'm thinking that it will help my target acquisition discipline and ammo conservation skills. Also my 686 has had the all helpful trigger work and sight upgrades. To get my 929 ready will cost hundreds of bucks and I don't have sufficient moons, I haven't decided on what 9mm brass to use, I haven't developed a load and will probably want to get a new holster/belt.

But in the end I'm not upset with myself for waiting so long to get in the game. I know what I need to do to perform reasonably well but I haven't convinced myself that I want it that bad to actually get motivated. However this week I started an organized dry fire program which gives me about 12 weeks to prepare for my first match of 2016. We shall see.

Edited by firewood

It's been my experience that many old guys maintain fast-twitch and coordination comparable to that of teens who are stoned or who haven't slept for 3 or more days

Fixed it.

There are plenty of sedentary junk-food-eating teens out there who, when stone-cold sober and well rested couldn't begin to keep up with a couple of my club's super seniors, especially not at shooting.

If your in good health-shoot.

I know guys in their 40s who can't keep up with some SS. The other side of coin--life is short-if you enjoy shooting, do it. Does not matter if you come in last....Your not sitting on the couch all day and exercise is a good thing.

It's been my experience that many old guys maintain fast-twitch and coordination comparable to that of teens who are stoned or who haven't slept for 3 or more days or who are sedentary junk food eaters

Fixed it.

There are plenty of sedentary junk-food-eating teens out there who, when stone-cold sober and well rested couldn't begin to keep up with a couple of my club's super seniors, especially not at shooting.

Ok, fixed it for you also :) .

Agree with "If your in good health-shoot." (except it is cold here now and I'm a candy ass about that so dry fire for me).

• 2 weeks later...

I started competing at 59. I knew there was such a thing as competitive shooting but never paid it much attention. I was really bored with going to a local indoor range and firing one shot a second. Then a friend who has been shooting three gun for a while told me about a local club that had a new shooter's class. I signed up for it and am now in my second year. I wish I had found it sooner because I realize that diminished physical ability and eyesight will limit me but it is still fun and I figure I can enjoy this hobby for many years to come.

I started shooting competition at the age of 41. I am now 67 and shoot USPSA and IDPA local matched every week. I can usually keep up with most of the young shooters but it is getting more difficult. I had a good year in 2015. I placed 1st Super Senior at the Single Stack Nationals, the Production Nationals and the Limited 10 Nationals. I also shot the Revolver Nationals and the scores combined with the Single Stack Nationals placed me 1st Aggregate. I was honored with a 2 page article in the latest Frontsight magazine. I was high Super Senior at the Florida State match, the Factory Gun match, the Custom Gun Classic and the Monster Match in my division. I hope to repeat the 3-Peat of 2015 this year. It may be a little more difficult since I am scheduled for hip replacement on February 22nd. Guess I will have to push hard during recovery.

Hope to see some of you at these matched this year. I don't know many by the Enos name, but if I recognize you or you recognize me, stop and say "Hi".

Bshooter

Edited by Bshooter

I started shooting competition at the age of 41. I am now 67 and shoot USPSA and IDPA local matched every week. I can usually keep up with most of the young shooters but it is getting more difficult. I had a good year in 2015. I placed 1st Super Senior at the Single Stack Nationals, the Production Nationals and the Limited 10 Nationals. I also shot the Revolver Nationals and the scores combined with the Single Stack Nationals placed me 1st Aggregate. I was honored with a 2 page article in the latest Frontsight magazine. I was high Super Senior at the Florida State match, the Factory Gun match, the Custom Gun Classic and the Monster Match in my division. I hope to repeat the 3-Peat of 2015 this year. It may be a little more difficult since I am scheduled for hip replacement on February 22nd. Guess I will have to push hard during recovery.

Hope to see some of you at these matched this year. I don't know many by the Enos name, but if I recognize you or you recognize me, stop and say "Hi".

Bshooter

Congratulations on your accomplishments! :bow:

Very nice story about you in front sight, too! :cheers:

I started shooting Cowboy at almost 60 to see if I could learn a new skill. A few of years later I wanted something new and added USPSA to my list of winter activities because the local club had a nice indoor range. I wasn't able to run as fast as the youngsters but I focused on alphas so the kids accepted me. This winter at 67 I find myself in a part of the country that USPSA doesn't seem to have an active presence so I have started shooting IDPA and Steel Challenge. I am also shooting Sporting Clays but that is a different game. Funny I don't feel old because I keep learning new skills and games. Last year toward the end of the Cowboy season although my times were improving, I got sloppy with my pistol shooting. This winter I am focused on improving my pistol accuracy at speed.

Mostly I have met wonderful people. Come for the shooting but stay for the people seems very wise.

Edited by Bart Solo