Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefties using trigger finger for mag release

Flyin40

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who says it has to be an ambi mag release?

If the shooter is shooting LH, then no sweat.

The posts above didn't say if the shooter was a righty, but the statement "...she doesn't have to pop the gun around in her hand so her thumb can reach." sure makes it sound that way.

If you're shooting RH, how the heck would you get to the mag release with the trigger finger w/o drasticaly changing your grip? (which was the point of this thread), unless the release is on the right side. Yeah, I assumed that meant it had to be an ambi. There's been lot of talk here and other places about shifting the grip to reach the release, and no one has piped up with a side switcher. Is there a product that switches the side for the mag release that is NOT an ambi?

Educate me!

I first used a glock in idpa and ipsc, then got a 1911. I bought a smith and alexander ambi mag release for my 1911 and now can use my thumb or trigger finger for mag releases. At first I found myself still using my trigger finger out of habit, then I started using my thumb more. The ambi release is 100 bucks plus installation, but is worth it in my opinion. I have long fingers and don't have to shift my grip to use my thumb to operate the mag release.

Redwoods

Lisa uses a Left Hand SV frame. I tried it once again yesterday and there's no way i can reach with my right hand without completely wrecking my grip on the gun.

Kay tried one of Jimmy & Artie Mitchell's reverse catches yesterday without any success.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day All,

Just a moment to add my $0.02 worth, I've found that using my middle finger (yeah 'the finger') on on the mag release works well for me. I can keep the grip stable while performing the administrative duties of reloading and managing the pistol's orientation using this method. Using the trigger finger causes me to have to reorient my grip after the mag change.

Cheers!

Also, ever notice that the old colts have the loading door on the right side of the gun? they are a lot eaiser to load when shooting left handed. Though I suspect this has more to do with riding a horse or something.

A cowboy shooter told me that Sam Colt was a leftie.

I think this is one of the great benefits of being a lefty, as opposed to several guns that are not as lefty freindly as the 1911. I originally shot with a Beretta 92 beacuse it was a very lefty friendly pistol. I had switched the mag release to the other side to allow my (left) thumb to activate the mag release. After about 2-3 matches I switched it back because it was just so easy to tap the button with the index finger for reloads. When I switched to the 1911 it was just habit, and I have been doing it that way ever since. When I buy new guns now, that is something I look for.

Matt

I use Jimmy Mitchell's mag catch and love it.

As a right-handed shooter with short thumbs, I used to hit the button with my left thumb on the way to grabbing a new mag off my belt. I never felt comfortable flipping a double-stack gun. I finally switched to having the button on the right side and it's faster for me. The angle doesn't work out for me to use my right index finger, so I'm actually hitting the edge of the button with the top edge of the knuckle of my middle finger.

I guess I should try to find a picture -- I've got one around somewhere, but this will have to do for now: http://www.bulletworks.com/Mag_catch.html

I found that with the thumb under the safety I adjust the grip barely to make the release but with thumb on top its much harder to adjust the grip.

All it takes is practice. Believe me, keep at it and one day it'll be second nature.

I have exactly the same issue is a 1911. However, I shoot IDPA a lot and it is oficially against the rules there to pin a safety (and they say this year they are supposed to check), so I fiddled with it enough that the slightest of movement disengages the safety.

Per your other posts about carrying a 1911 - does the need to pin the safety make you think about the 1911 as suitable carry gun? Makes me think about it.

I used to pin my grip safeties. These days I just "sensitize" them by taking material off the grip safety tongue (the protrusion off the front of the grip safety that blocks the trigger bow from moving far enough to the rear to fire the gun until it's been pivoted upward by grip pressure). The grip safety is still functional, the gun will still pass an armorer's check with flying colors, but it will now disengage with very little inward movement. Problem solved.

I just had to jump in on this one since I had this issue when I started shooting IPSC matches.

Having small hands (right hand shooter), I "thought" and had convienced myself, that I could not reach the mag release with strong hand thumb simply because it felt awkward "flipping" the gun in my hand. When I tried this flipping technique it seemed that I had to "find" my grip each time after a reload and the fear of "flipping" the gun out of my hand/control was always there in my subcon.

Unfortunately, I convienced myself that it was "impossible" to flip and release with strong hand only and I developed the habit of "pushing the release button with the weak hand thumb".

I would hit the mag release with my weak hand thumb as I was going for a new mag which eliminated my need to regrip with strong hand after a "flip". Heck it worked for me and why are these people (GM..M..A...B...etc) telling me that it was not the most efficient way to reload???

Then one day, probably a year later ( I am hard headed sometimes..lol), as I was "fondeling" a friends new SV >>>>Wahhhlahhhh .... I flipped... hit.... and stuck the mag change.... without even realizing that I had done it! SS and Tony pointed this out reallllyyy quick and said "imagine that" you did it!

Wow I thought >>> hmmmm I need to try this again ... I did it again ...and again.. so I picked up my 1911 and danggggg I did it with it too! how did that happen????? And I answered my own question at that moment...

>>>>>>>>>I did it without "thinking" about it<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

My thought process when I first started shooting IPSC 5 yrs ago was.... heck .. I have been shooting guns since I was 5 or 6.. this IPSC stuff should just be a no brainer....a breezeeee ..lol>>>duck n cover ya'll!.. I have to be honest.... the only 2 things that I was knowledgeable about prior to this sport are >

#1>gun safety and #2>plinkin a tin can around

Ok...so i am long winded... but those who know me ...well...ya'll know that already don't you.... thank you for your patience and input with "newbies" like myself who "think they know how to shoot" but have yet to learn how.

cya at GA State..dd

(ooopsss....i kinda went off the subject of mag release technique didnt i)..

• 6 months later...

As a lefty, it seems I have to put in more work on mag changes than any other technique.

I usually reach back with the middle finger on my strong hand to drop the mag.

I've tried other methods but this is what feels the most natural to me.

However, it's a bit tricky and sometimes I don't hit the mag release cleanly.

Obviously when that happens it costs me time to recover.

Some race guns have a drilled and tapped release with an oversize button.

That's possible, but it would be under my trigger finger and I'm afraid it could cause me to drop mags accidentally.

I suppose I could set the gun up with an ambidextrous mag release, but I have one on my Springfield XD and I can't say I like it better.

I can't reach it with my thumb without completely shifting my grip on the gun and that is just feels awkward.

I'm wondering if there are other lefties out there with oversize mag release buttons.

Hows that working out for you?

Tls

Put in a heavy spring if you add a big button. Otherwise someday a blown grip on the draw will make you unhappy. I go back and forth on the desire for an extended button, but the heavy spring is always there.

I find it is hard to beat just taking my trigger finger and using it to push the mag release. To me the mechanics seem to be faster because while the trigger finger goes for the release the other hand goes for the mag. But for me the biggest benifit is safety, as there is no way the RO can call you for having your finger on the trigger while reloading if you use your trigger finger to hit the release.

+1.

I also find this the best solution. I suppose it is all a matter of what you get used to, with enough practice (oh wait, what is that :o ). most any method will work.

I find it is hard to beat just taking my trigger finger and using it to push the mag release. To me the mechanics seem to be faster because while the trigger finger goes for the release the other hand goes for the mag. But for me the biggest benifit is safety, as there is no way the RO can call you for having your finger on the trigger while reloading if you use your trigger finger to hit the release.

+1.

I also find this the best solution. I suppose it is all a matter of what you get used to, with enough practice (oh wait, what is that :o ). most any method will work.

+1 for right hand using a mag release on the right side of the gun. I have used it for four years now. used a Smith &Alexzander Ambridx. mag button on my old singal stack gun for 10 years. I use my triger finger to drop the mag.

My mag changes are slow just because , "shooting steel" I never practiced it.

to practice a reload for Steel Challenge is practicing to fail, or tack too many shoots.

my excuse for slow reloads.

As a lefty, it seems I have to put in more work on mag changes than any other technique.

I usually reach back with the middle finger on my strong hand to drop the mag.

Some race guns have a drilled and tapped release with an oversize button.

That's possible, but it would be under my trigger finger and I'm afraid it could cause me to drop mags accidentally.

Tls

I think being left handed in an advantage for mag changes.

I will never use any finger except my trigger finger for the mag release. Thats alot going on right around the trigger, pulling the trigger finger out of the trigger guard, trying to hit the mag release with the middle finger. To me thats asking for a Accidental discharge.

I use the Dawson Low Pro mag button. Its extremely low profile and its also extremely easy to grind down the diameter so thats its not that big. I shot 30 plus matches this yr and never once had a problem with accidently hitting the button. I never changed springs in the mag release either.

Check it out HERE

I would put some practice in with the trigger finger.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

being left handed,this is what i do to pratice reloads.....

1: put on mag pouches/get all your mags out and have at least a dummy rnd for each mag

2:get out the wife's ironing board...she doesn't mind..she's already asleep...

3:get 3 or 4 towels for the ironing board

4:find something good on tv....

5: start with a mag in the gun and start reloading...

6:do this about 30 times...then just make a pile of mags off to the side on the board and just practice from there...grab the mag off of the board,reload,repete...then start back again from the pouches...then back from the board...take around 30 from a chair and from a knee....

7:seriously....do this about 300 times a week...it doesn't take long :D

My first DQ was when I was going for the mag release with my trigger finger on a USP 45 and AD'd over the berm.

Same here, 'cept I shot the roof at an indoor range, and it was a 1911. Was my first match after switching from righty to lefty.

Was the only hiccup in my transition, and I find hitting the mag realease with a finger instead of the thumb faster with less changing of my grip.

I thinking about switching to my mag release around so I can use my trigger finger and I'm right handed. I think it has some definite advantages.

Erik

I agree. I find using my right index finger on the switched-over release on my P226 does four things for me: First, I'm less likely to shift the muzzle uprange when traversing from right to left; I'm less likely to let my finger drift into the trigger guard while shifting my grip to hit the button; I can maintain my master grip to a greater degree, for what that's worth; and finally, it keeps me from clutching up on the load, so my loads are more consistent.

While no faster, the mag well opening is oriented to my weak hand at a better angle. The various HK's I used to shoot really lended themselves to this, but the SIG is pretty good as well. As I have significant nerve and dexterity problems with my right hand, I find this technique is more positive and safer for me.

I see no reason why the same basic advantages wouldn't apply to a lefty, particularly for those with smaller hands.

-Bruce

As I stated before, using the middle finger for mag changes always felt more natural to me.

However, I decided to take Carlos' advice and try the index finger.

It felt a little awkward at first, but after a few practice drills I shaved about .3 seconds off my average mag change. On a stage with several mag changes that's a big deal.

With the middle finger, I could compensate for a poor grip because I was shifting the gun slightly during the mag change. Now I absolutely have to get my grip right on the draw.

However, with a little practice this change will be a big advantage when shooting my SV.

It's worth mentioning that I couldn't execute this at all with my Para P14.

I suppose this is due to the Para frame being wider or longer because I simply couldn't make the technique work with that gun. With my Para its the middle finger or nothing.

This is one of those things where size does matter.

It appears that the size of the gun and the size of your hands will dictate the best technique.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I'm glad to see this topic going so strongly, as I'm a lefty AND a newbie to the sport. I'm also struggling with the mag change (albeit on a Glock) as I've got the "long fingers syndrome" and have to readjust my grip if I pop it with my index finger. Readjustment, of course, takes time.

Has anybody ever tried releasing the mag by sneaking the index finger of the right hand inbetween the left hand's trigger finger and middle finger (where the mag release button sits) prior to going for the magazine? Since my fingers are long, it seems like my right index finger is already there, and doing so requires no grip adjustment for my shooting hand.

I realize that this is going to slow me down to a certain extent since it's holding up my right hand from immediately getting down to the spare mags... but is it quicker (and more easing of the mind) than having to readjust my shooting hand grip from having it screwed up due to my long fingers?

Anybody have an opinion?

Has anybody ever tried releasing the mag by sneaking the index finger of the right hand inbetween the left hand's trigger finger and middle finger (where the mag release button sits) prior to going for the magazine? Since my fingers are long, it seems like my right index finger is already there, and doing so requires no grip adjustment for my shooting hand.

I don't do it, haven't tried it, but I know somebody who does something similar. He also gets the slide release with his right hand (lefty shooter) on slide lock reloads. I tried that a few times. It worked, but felt weird. I get the slide stop/release with my trigger finger when I go to slide lock.