Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefties using trigger finger for mag release

Flyin40

This is for all the lefties out there. I just changed my grip so my thumb rides the safety and my and found that now hitting the mag release is a little more difficult.

Anyone else had this problem. I sure it will just take some getting used to.

I found that with the thumb under the safety I adjust the grip barely to make the release but with thumb on top its much harder to adjust the grip. I'll just have to do some experimenting

I was able to do some 2 second draw, shoot, reload shoot dry firing but not consistently with the new grip and different feel for the mag release.

Any lefties out there find something that feels right with the trigger finger mag release??

Flyin40

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it is hard to beat just taking my trigger finger and using it to push the mag release. To me the mechanics seem to be faster because while the trigger finger goes for the release the other hand goes for the mag. But for me the biggest benifit is safety, as there is no way the RO can call you for having your finger on the trigger while reloading if you use your trigger finger to hit the release.

I know at least one woman shooter with small hands who has her mag release set up so she can use her trigger finger for the release. For her hand size it makes total sense and is safer because she doesn't have to pop the gun around in her hand so her thumb can reach. She has an M card....this shooter would be...anyone...anyone...bueller?

Flyin40..

I am a lefty who competes with a 1911, I shoot with my thumb riding the safety and use trigger finger to relaese the mag.. In order to see what happens when I hit the mag release, I picked up my empty gun and went through the motions.... I noticed that, even with big hands, I still have to shift my grip to get to the button. My thumb that had been on top of the saftey, silmutaneoulsy moves under it while I shift my grip..So I would say, dont try to keep your thumb on the safety while pressing the mag release button,,Hope that helps..

John

My first DQ was when I was going for the mag release with my trigger finger on a USP 45 and AD'd over the berm.

BigD, didn't you do something similar that day we met in Naples? :lol::P:D

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

I swear most semi's are set up better for left handers to begin with. I'm doing what Sac Law Man described. I think moving the left thumb below the safety also makes turning the gun for mag insertion easier. For slide lock reloads, after using the trigger finger on the mag release, I put it on the slide lock lever, and get that slide forward right after the mag insertion.

Flyin40,

I'm a southpaw and my thumb rides the safety. I use my trigger finger for the mag release and have not had any issues and do not have to shift my grip.

It takes some getting used to but it works.

On a 1911, STI etc, no problem. Glocks with the extended mag release, it takes a bit more to get used to, but not bad.

After you get used to it, reloads can be as fast as anyone..and your trigger finger is outside the trigger guard during the reload.

Find a technique that works for you.

My first DQ was when I was going for the mag release with my trigger finger on a USP 45 and AD'd over the berm.

BigD, didn't you do something similar that day we met in Naples? :lol::P:D

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!!

Actually, I just AD'd over the berm there during the transfer to strong hand from freestyle while running WFO. But thanks for reminding me!!!

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!!

Actually, I just AD'd over the berm there during the transfer to strong hand from freestyle while running WFO.  But thanks for reminding me!!!

Hey... It's motivation for you to practice the transfer... You may need it when you come to the A6 match with Rhino! ;)

See you there?

I'm a lefty and had the same issue. My fingers are long and I had a hard time getting my trigger finger back to the mag release. I got an Arredondo mag release button that is shaped sort of like an ellipse. I have it screwed on so that it faces toward the trigger and slightly up. My finger doesnt have to come as far back, now, to release the mag. With a little practice, I don't have to think about releasing the mag. When I reach for the new one, the old one just falls out of the gun.

Jim

Copy of my reply to your post about pinned safteies. I'm doing this on both 1911s and Glocks. Saves me having to shift the gun to drop the mag. Kinda hard to work the release on a Glock with my finger - they're kinda stiff, but Glock says to rack the slide anyway!

The geek has a theory that 1911s are really designed to be used best by lefties - kind of a cruel joke by JMB. Makes sense to me that you have to take your finger off the trigger to do something administrative with the gun. You don't wnat it there at this time anyway.

Also, ever notice that the old colts have the loading door on the right side of the gun? they are a lot eaiser to load when shooting left handed. Though I suspect this has more to do with riding a horse or something.

I'm lefthand, I shoot a STI I alsways have my thumb on top of the safety and used my trigger finger for the mag realese, I don't think that my reload is slow or cumbersome to perform.

I'm right handed, shooting a Beretta in production and have my mag release reversed so that it is on the right side of the gun. I use my middle finger to dump the mag and my trigger finger sticks away from the gun. I've been doing it this way for over 2 years and it's just the most natural way for me. I use the same technique with my P7 and wish that Glock offered a reversible/ambi mag button. If I ever decide I'm ready for an S_I, I will be ordering a lefty frame.

splashdown

Well after messing with it a couple of days I'm getting used to it. With riding the safety it changed my grip just alittle and made it just a little harder to get the mag release button. I'm have to pin the safety, then nothing to worry about.

Flyin40

Well after messing with it a couple of days I'm getting used to it.  With riding the safety it changed my grip just alittle and made it just a little harder to get the mag release button.  I'm have to pin the safety, then nothing to worry about.

Flyin40

I have exactly the same issue is a 1911. However, I shoot IDPA a lot and it is oficially against the rules there to pin a safety (and they say this year they are supposed to check), so I fiddled with it enough that the slightest of movement disengages the safety.

Per your other posts about carrying a 1911 - does the need to pin the safety make you think about the 1911 as suitable carry gun? Makes me think about it.

Yeah that occurred to me. I have looked at my grip to see if I am doing something wrong but I don't think so. I have quite larges hands and the grip safety "bump" hits right in middle of my hand. When I lift my thumb up to ride the safety my hand just doesn't hit the grip safety. I have messed around and the only way I can get it to hit 100% of the time is if I push down hard on the gun before I pull it out of the holster. So I drive my hand hard up against the gun and really get my hand up against the safety. When I'm talkin hard I mean it makes the holster move 3 inches. This is really slow I don't feel its safe to do.

I think its just the way my hands are.

Flyin40

Yeah that occurred to me.  I have looked at my grip to see if  I am doing something wrong but I don't think so.  I have quite larges hands and the grip safety "bump" hits right in middle of my hand.  When I lift my thumb up to ride the safety my hand just doesn't hit the grip safety.  I have messed around and the only way I can get it to hit 100% of the time is if  I push down hard on the gun before I pull it out of the holster.  So I drive my hand hard up against the gun and really get my hand up against the safety.  When I'm talkin hard I mean it makes the holster move 3 inches.  This is really slow I don't feel its safe to do.

I think its just the way my hands are.

Flyin40

Nope, you're just like the rest of us. I have small hands, and I have the same problem. There are lots of people here (and I see it atleast once every IDPA match) who draw and the gun just wont go off.

This actually may be more correctly stated that the 1911 is not designed to work correctly with the high grip. However, that grip seems to be far superior when shooting. So to me it was change the grip (but this still call into question the operation of the gun in a time of stress), or carry a different gun.

I'm learning the Glock now.

After some practice dryfiring I tried out the reload with some live fire. I did some draws, 1 shot, reload 1 shot. Most times were around 2.10 to 2.3 with the rest at 2.5. I had only one case where I had trouble hitting the mag release.

But.......a new problem developed. It only happned twice. When I reloaded I dropped my thumb down from riding the safety and as I aimd my second shot the safety was reengaged by my thumb. I don't see this as a problem that dryfiring won't cure rather easily.

Flyin40

I know at least one woman shooter with small hands who has her mag release set up so she can use her trigger finger for the release.  For her hand size it makes total sense and is safer because she doesn't have to pop the gun around in her hand so her thumb can reach.  She has an M card....this shooter would be...anyone...anyone...bueller?

Lisa is the shooter - and I too use my trigger finger to release the magazine! I was SO happy when I found out that I wasn't only one who had to do this!

I know at least one woman shooter with small hands who has her mag release set up so she can use her trigger finger for the release.  For her hand size it makes total sense and is safer because she doesn't have to pop the gun around in her hand so her thumb can reach.  She has an M card....this shooter would be...anyone...anyone...bueller?

Lisa is the shooter - and I too use my trigger finger to release the magazine! I was SO happy when I found out that I wasn't only one who had to do this!

That's great if you're shooting lefty, or USPSA. In IDPA, ambi mag releases are specifically forbidden.