Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping ammo to match?

I ship my ammo to a friend that lives in the area. If you want to ship to your hotel, contact them first and check if they will hold it for you. A friend shipped his to the Whittington Center for Rock Mountain, his flights got delayed, and he couldn't get his ammo until the office opened up, which was later than his first stage start time.

Open an account with UPS, print your shipping label, and drop off at the hub, or, schedule a pick up. The cost of the pick up may easily cost less than gas to the hub.

Usually the MD will set something up at big matches so you can ship to them. If not, you could find a LGS in the area that might be willing to accept it for you. I've shipped to my hotel before and that worked out okay. Make sure you read up on the shipping restrictions. You must get the ORM-D or alternate sticker for the sides, it must be shipped ground, etc. I stuck at the last minute one time and didn't know these things. Should be shipped by USPS but I've heard a few say they have, most will ask and will not ship it. UPS has been my choice every time I shipped since I'm close to a service center and the lady there is very knowledgeable with shipping firearms and ammo.

I did it once for a 3-day long range rifle class (heavy ammo). Shipped it UPS to the hotel, by prior arrangement. It was cheaper than it would have cost me to take it with me, but it also meant that, if anything had gone wrong I would have been SOL.

You can ship UPS to a hotel, match or friend. Make sure you declare the ammo and that the package is marked ORM-D, UPS will have stickers or you can print them off the web. I usually ship to the hotel and then call and make sure the package has arrived before I fly to the match.

Doug

I have never shipped to a hotel, but I have frequently shipped direct to matches that provided an official recipient. Indeed, to avoid paying for shipping twice, I usually just place a match order with a manufacturer/retailer to go right to the range. For easier to get stuff (shotgun ammo, for example) I place orders for pickup at local retailers (Cabelas, Gander…).

• 2 months later...

The better question is what to do with the leftover ammo since packing and shipping afterwards is the last thing on your mind.

I just put it back in the original boxes and stuff it in my checked luggage. You get up to 11 pounds that you can put in your bags.

Doug

• 1 month later...

Can anyone shed some light on why it cost me $46.10 plus $10.47 for pickup at my house to ship 27 pounds of ammo from Chicago to Phoenix? I just purchased 1000 round of 5.56x45 and shipping came to $12.95. Does not make sense. I even opened an account with UPS but the shipping rates seem to be the same as if I used one of the third party UPS stores.

Can anyone shed some light on why it cost me $46.10 plus $10.47 for pickup at my house to ship 27 pounds of ammo from Chicago to Phoenix? I just purchased 1000 round of 5.56x45 and shipping came to $12.95. Does not make sense. I even opened an account with UPS but the shipping rates seem to be the same as if I used one of the third party UPS stores.

Large quantity shippers get REAL BIG discounts with UPS. I worked one place that got two empty UPS trucks to load at the end of the day, one at 5 PM one at 6 PM. Place got a 70% discount off UPS. This would places like Midway, Brownells, Freedom, Ammo to Go.

What a retailer charges you for shipping, what they pay for shipping, and what you would pay for shipping, will all be different.

Also, you do not have a discount with UPS until you have met their qualifications for a minimum amount of shipments. After qualifying, then your discount will take place and the discount varies with the volume of packages that you ship.