Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand slippage

MissionaryMike

When I'm at the range, I do my best to grip my weak hand a bit tighter than my strong hand. Even with the lighter pressure from my strong hand, the grip tape really assists in preventing any rotation of the pistol. However, on warmer days, I can't seem to prevent my weak hand from slipping off the gun and my strong hand. I'm not talking about slipping totally off and letting go, but I can't get a good "seal" on my grip with that weak hand, especially when I'm shooting rapidly.

My fellow, sweaty shooter, what do you do?

Thanks,

MM

I think it's time to experiment with different grip treatments, they are not created equal. I never did find a tape that I liked so I used a heated rasp to stipple the grip, very aggressive (and not very attractive but I don't care) and I use a fingerless cloth glove. No slip whatsoever

post-56380-0-14465700-1439929569_thumb.j

post-56380-0-08304800-1439929590_thumb.j

Edited by Bkreutz

I do not have that problem. With a proper grip your weak hand and strong hand should be solid. Strong hand grips the gun and weak hand grips the strong hand.

Awesome for you. My hands are extra sweaty I guess then.

I cannot tell you what I do different because I can lube my guns up prepping for a match and have a film of oil on my hands and I still have no problems with either my strong hand or weak hand slipping as I shoot.

Do you lock your elbows? Or, do you allow them to flex?

Does this happen when shooting "at speed"? or just shooting groups.

Yes, their can be a difference. When I am just shooting groups my weak hand can migrate forward, but when shooting a Bill drill

or plate rack or anything that has a speed component, my grip remains firm...even on a DE50.

Should I be safe to presume that DIY liquid chalk will make my hands very white and chalky, just as regular chalk would, and get my firearm all white as a result?

You will get some chalk on the gun. I figure I have my guns to shoot them, not have them look pretty. When I'm done shooting the gun it gets an oil wipe down anyway. Here is a link to what I use and have great results with it. http://www.missionathletecare.com/products/power-grip-all-sport?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_pla&gdftrk=gdfV213093_a_7c3841_a_7c14662_a_7c126423302&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmNuuBRDTu5rDjr2kxJsBEiQAWlm6UmNwxUhkWEAFMVcLzgSwtgguaZd9Qu8h4JiulBSPnz0aAmXZ8P8HAQ#EqFDb9urcOBgI2rA.97

Should I be safe to presume that DIY liquid chalk will make my hands very white and chalky, just as regular chalk would, and get my firearm all white as a result?

You will get some chalk on the gun. I figure I have my guns to shoot them, not have them look pretty. When I'm done shooting the gun it gets an oil wipe down anyway. Here is a link to what I use and have great results with it. http://www.missionathletecare.com/products/power-grip-all-sport?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_pla&gdftrk=gdfV213093_a_7c3841_a_7c14662_a_7c126423302&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmNuuBRDTu5rDjr2kxJsBEiQAWlm6UmNwxUhkWEAFMVcLzgSwtgguaZd9Qu8h4JiulBSPnz0aAmXZ8P8HAQ#EqFDb9urcOBgI2rA.97

I wasn't asking for the sake of aesthetics. I was asking b/c I'm not sure if any of the residue from the chalk left on the gun could possibly find its way into places that would allow gunk to build up. I have no experience with the stuff.

I wasn't asking for the sake of aesthetics. I was asking b/c I'm not sure if any of the residue from the chalk left on the gun could possibly find its way into places that would allow gunk to build up. I have no experience with the stuff.

i use liquid grip or pro grip every time i shoot or dry fire and haven't had any issues with it getting into the gun. Once you put it on your hands it dries in probably 20 seconds so nothing will make it into the gun. I used to have issues with my support hand slipping off my strong hand but this has eliminated it.

When you grip the gun, If your strong hand thumb is pushing DOWN on your weak hand it will displace your weak hand as you shoot. With a proper thumbs forward grip both of your thumbs should be laying where every they are with ZERO pressure pushing in any direction. When I see peoples weak hand being displaced while shooting 99% of the time its due to them pushing down hard on their weak hand by the strong hand thumb.

Cha-Lee hit the nail on the head. I have short fingers and when I started shooting for speed I absolutely could not keep my weak hand on the gun. I tried everything and about the 3rd shot my weak hand would be dislodged even firing 9mm Production rounds. It was my strong hand thumb knocking my weak hand off of the pistol. It is amazing how much force your strong hand thumb can leverage against your weak hand in recoil.

I have the same problem. I use a LOT of pro grip when I'm in the hole on each stage, only on my left hand and the back of my right hand. When its really a problem I bring a towel up to the line to wipe off my hands right before I start shooting.

I only experience hand slippage when I try to shoot a SIG. I tried some of these tips today when I test fired a customers P227 and it still slipped out if my left hand.

I imagine if I spent enough time with just about any pistol my body would figure out where to place my hands. It took a bit, but when I switched to a 1911 from a Revo my hands naturally moved to the grip folks talk about over a 2 month period. My left hand gradually moved up and rotated forward as I practiced.

As a beginning shooter it took a while to figure out how to place my hands on my Revo. There's all sorts of tricks you can use, but I found it difficult to have a repeatable draw and grip using the tricks. In the end I settled on getting as much of my hands on the gun as possible, as high as possible, and squeezing with both hands. The actual grip is different gun to gun, but over time my hands seemed to find the happy place.