Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best or Most Popular Holster For SS

GBertolet

What is the most popular holster for SS division? I now have a Helwig Yaqui Slide type holster that I got for free that I had been using. I find it sits too close to the body. If I am not careful, I get some shirt on the draw, and I dislike the forward rake. Better for CCW, but not competition. I finally deceided to try something else. What do other shooters like to use, and why?

I use a Blade Tech. Comp Tac International is also good; I have one for another gun and the belt attachment puts it a bit further from the body than the one I'm using on my Blade Tech. Although if you want it really set off from your body you could get a BOSS hanger, it can be adjusted high enough to be legal for Single Stack. I have no problem with the regular Blade Tech holster though.

How long is a piece of string?

Is this some sort of riddle? :huh:

BladeTech is the most popular for sure.

However, the Safariland 5197 is a good holster and sells for less than 30 bucks. I used a Bladetech for a while then got a Safariland 5197 and like it better. I find that it draws smoother and it seems to hold the gun firm enough that I could probably do the old holster retention tests and pass. Also, there is a little piece of suede leather on the inside that helps keep the gun from getting marred.

But, as was said there are a lot of options. One of the best SS shooters I know uses a ratty old 15 buck uncle mike plastic holster and it works great for him.

I've used a number of different holsters for (IPSC Classic -I believe the holster rules are a little different to USPSA SS) anything from a leather Galco Avenger for a "classic 'rig to a JR micro race holster. But as an all round holster to use with a few different model pistols you can't beat the Safariland 568 Customfit in my opinion.

After much comparison between the Bladetech OWB and Comp-Tac International, I went with the Comp-Tac International. I don't think that there is that much difference between them, quality or price wise. Fit and retention of the Comp-Tac were perfect right out of the bag for me. Comp-Tac's 30 day, no BS refund or exchange policy, if you are not satisfied for any reason, was the deal closer.

UFO, I do like your idea of the spacers. I believe for SS, the USPSA rules do allow up to 2" offset from the inside of the belt. That is definitely a good idea for additional clearance.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the 5197 and am really happy with it. I would buy it again.

I rescind this comment. I liked the 5197 using the paddle as I have been getting started, but it doesn't work as well with a competition belt. The belt loops don't really conform right which is too bad.

Now I'm looking for another.