Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone re-use un-shot de-capped primers?

igolfat8

I'll smack them both with a hammer tonight.

100 primers is the equivalent of one stick of dynamite.

Not sure I believe that ... I'm not saying he's wrong, just that I find that

difficult to believe. :ph34r:

I've heard of people having their primer tube explode and all it did was

send the rod into the ceiling.

But, I may be wrong. :cheers:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off topic, but lead styphnate's detonation velocity is less than TNT and Dynamite by a fair amount, and the Relative Explosive value is less than 1.0. So, considering that a stick of Dynamite weighs about 7 ounces it would take a lot more than 100 primers to come close to that same energy,

In any case, always keep primers (and powders) in their factory packaging. This should go without saying but storing any energetic reloading component in glass is an especially bad idea.

If you want to throw primed brass away safely you can soak it in water to neutralize the primer.

It is the common idea, but there have been reports that soaking in water or WD-40 doesn't work, as the primers have protective film on them.

I have not tried that myself, but people have, and they reported negative results. I might try it too.

Both flattened out without fanfare :)

lol,

kneelingatlas is at home smashing primers with a hammer and you guys are debating over depriming them safely in a press with glasses on...

I've done this hundreds of times in a single stage press. The primer falls right into my hand, and you'd have to rip the handle like a madman, as in seriously and unreasonably fast, to ever even come close to lighting a primer off (think firing pin speed). Just push it out and be easy with it.

The only case I can think of where you could perhaps crush a primer would be if you were to receive primed and crimped military brass and you tried to deprime those.

Also, if you are reloading in a dillon, the primer falls all the way into the machine, and if it went off isn't near you at all. As mentioned before, that loaded primer tube going off is way more dangerous than depriming one case could ever be.

If you want to throw primed brass away safely you can soak it in water to neutralize the primer.

It is the common idea, but there have been reports that soaking in water or WD-40 doesn't work, as the primers have protective film on them.

I have not tried that myself, but people have, and they reported negative results. I might try it too.

Both flattened out without fanfare :)

But did you try them before you soaked them? Maybe they were both bad already! :)

We have cases of winchester primers from the flood in 2008. They have been sitting and drying out since then. We pulled some out last month and looked at the ones that appeared to have no compound left in them. One got the anvil test. Went bang. We are going to load them for practice and see what they say on the chrono.

As far as depriming brass. Been doing it for over 20 years and yes I wear safety glasses. I have not set one off....yet.

The only time I have seen primers go off when they should not was when they were crushed or sheared, not dropped. There has to be force to set it off.

There are some talented dumbasses out there and do some stupid stuff, no doubt. The safety warnings are there for a reason....

DougC

Doug, I used 50,000 primers I had that went through a flood years back, not a single problem with them. However another 10,000 of them went through a second flood, a lot of them were duds. I just dried them out with a dehumidifier I had at the farm at the time (big room for drying pelts).

I also deprime cases with upside down live primers, and reuse them as long as the anvil is in them. Never had an issue doing that, depriming or firing later on once loaded into a case the right way.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep them separate because I don't want any surprises. Shooting them is just the safest way to dispose of them

Yeah I don't just throw live primers away. Pretty sure it's kinda illegal too. If I don't wanna de capped I'll just pop them off in a pistol then you're all good. Easiest way the make primers inert.

I keep them separate because I don't want any surprises. Shooting them is just the safest way to dispose of them

Yeah I don't just throw live primers away. Pretty sure it's kinda illegal too. If I don't wanna de capped I'll just pop them off in a pistol then you're all good. Easiest way the make primers inert.

About as illegal as throwing aerosol cans in the garbage, and none of us do that. :ph34r:

About as illegal as throwing aerosol cans in the garbage, and none of us do that. :ph34r:

Haha yeah good point.

I have removed live primer using my trusty punch and hammer. I made a jig for my vise, in the garage, to hold the case securly. Case mouth up to the sky, use the punch and hammer, if it did go off the punch might make a hole in the roof. So far no boom, I try to save the brass not the primer.