Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Timers

JaPaK

I am looking to buy a shot timer but I am not sure which one is the most accurate and best for training etc. I looked at the original thread about shot timers, which was started in 2001, and I had to start this new thread because it seems there should be more and new relevant information since then.

Which one is th best? I am leaning towards the CED7000. Any comments from people who have experience with any shot timers would be appreciated. But I am have ing difficulty finding info on the CED as to wether it can countdown for practicing dry fire draws and such. Also, is there any problems reading the color screen in bright sunlight? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

I think the 7000 is OK for practice but the screen is small for older eyes and the beep is pretty high frequency for older ears. You also have to charge them like a cell phone. You even have to buy an accessory of some type to be able to hang them on a pocket or clip them to your wrist to train with them. I personally I have some for my matches and hate them from an accountability standpoint. They are a PITA to locate at the end of a match. lol Sometimes it's the little things.

I prefer my brick of a Pocket Pro II with it's 9 volt battery and built in clip and a gnarly buzz instead of a shrill beep.

I think the 7000 is OK for practice but the screen is small for older eyes and the beep is pretty high frequency for older ears. You also have to charge them like a cell phone. You even have to buy an accessory of some type to be able to hang them on a pocket or clip them to your wrist to train with them. I personally I have some for my matches and hate them from an accountability standpoint. They are a PITA to locate at the end of a match. lol Sometimes it's the little things.

I prefer my brick of a Pocket Pro II with it's 9 volt battery and built in clip and a gnarly buzz instead of a shrill beep.

Thanks for the input.

I was leaning towards the Pocket pro until I watch a video with Keonig who was using one. But now, after some further research I see that the CED has a lot of software features that I will not use, stuff for matches etc, and so I think keeping it simple would be better for my practice. I don't need to be scrolling through a bunch of extra features to get to the two I might used for example. Like you Sarge, I also like the fact that a 9v is all ya need.

Thanks bud

Edited by JaPaK

For me the pocket pro is best if handheld as in ROing another shooter. If clipped on my belt or pocket in self training it usually dislodge and fell when I do low port, squat and prone positions or anything that causes my upper leg to push it up out of position.

For self training in live and dry fire the best is the Shotmaxx as its worn on the wrist. Its virtually impossible to tangle on anything. It also has a lot of usefull features. My only gripe is its beep is difficult to hear when I double plug during live fire wich is my usual set up.

Next for me is the CED 7000 worn on the wrist. Its light weight makes it very like the Shotmaxx. But clipped on the belt I usually inadvertently push the start button when doing low port or squat position resulting to insdvertently restarting the time wich is very distracting to say the least. For older eyes its small and light led display is very hard to read outdoors in sunny weather. More than a few instances I noticed stage times were misread even by younger ROs in matches that I suspect were due to this. Also its battery indicator only shows half charge thats misleading when the actual charge is almost zero. Again its very disconcerting to stop in the middle or start of your training when the 7000 suddenly turns off due to discharged battery and you dont have any other timer to use. Charging it even when the battery has partial charge may shorten the lifespan of the battery. So its up to the user to chose between the 2 evils.

So I use the Shotmaxx in dry fire where I dont wear muffs and CED7000 on the wrist in livefire where its beep is very audible even when I double plug.

Edited by BoyGlock

When I was in the same position, I looked at the ced 7000, Pact, Pocket Pro. I chose the PP2 because it did everything I needed, was a simple design and was a tough timer from my previous use. Had it 4 years and nary a hiccup.

Edited by PKT1106

I have a ced 8000. I got a great deal on it. I've never used another one. It does what I nned it to do and the price was right . I'm curious as to why it wasn't mentioned.

It's 9v

Edited by biglou13

thank you for restarting this thread. I am in the need for a shot timer as well and curious as to what you guys think is best. I have been leaning towards the Shotmaxx for its size and versatility but can't pull the proverbial trigger.

I like the pact club timer III, it has a easier display to review split time, draw to 1st shot etc. than the pocket pro II

Another one that's nice is the big competition electronic pro timer?

It has a built in comstock calculater which comes in handy when trying to figure out the best was to practice a target array

I use the CED 7000. I like the small size and how quickly I can get through the menus to set par time. The screen is small, so I can see issues with older eyes. The beep has a high and low feature. I use low with a piece of tape over the speaker when dry firing at home for a soft tone. The belt clip with hinge works great for me. It is easy to flip up and look at the screen. It is easy to pull it off the clip and make menu changes and put it back on the clip when needed. When I RO 3gun matches I wear it on the lanyard that comes with it. I don't have to go searching for the timer since it is always with me. The battery is internal. It can be charged with the included wall charger or car charger. Battery life is good, on a full charge I can use it for a 3 day match and still have battery life.

I have used the big blue and brown bricks when RO'ing at other clubs. They work fine but I find them cumbersome. They are durable from my experience. I have seen many cracked lenses on the screens, gouges on the cases, lettering wore off, etc., but they just keep working. Don't trust the clip on the larger units. They don't seem to hold too well and I see a lot of dropped timers. I don't know if the 7000 can take the abuse I have seen the other timers take. I have dropped mine a few times with no issues, but it definitely doesn't get the abuse I have seen others take.

If I had to do it over again, I would get the Shotmax for personal use. It wasn't out when I got my timer. I always wear a watch so it would feel natural. I like the features of the unit but I don't know how well it would work for RO'ing.

Thanks for the additional responses. I purchased the PP2 and I go tit in the mail yesterday but I don't think I will keep it. I do not like the menu and the buttons because they remind my of a prehistoric electronic device on a toy from the '80s! Having to scroll through the menu to get back to the timer screen is just plan ole' stupid. And before purchasing I didn't realize I could not use it for dry fire practice at home, and no count down. So, I think I will return it.

CED 7000 or ShotMaxx...?

My biggest need at this point is dry firing at home. Want to practice my draw etc. I will also use it at the range on days when I get a bay to run basic drills.

1) Do both of these devices accommodate DRY FIRE practice?

2) Can the ShotMaxx set Pars easily?

3) What are the differences between the CED 7000, 7000pro, & 8000 models?

4) Can the Shotmaxx countdown?

5) How is the ShotMaxx battery life?

Thanks!

You will be hard pressed to find a timer for dry fire. I think there is an air soft version of a 7000 maybe.

What do you mean the PPII won't count down? Timers are a pretty basic device really

Don't think you will get something like a quality cell phone with a 7000. Still prehistoric(lol) buttons and such only a fraction of the size of the PP.

If having to update firmware / software etc is more your style then just get the shotmaxx. I won one and sold it when i couldn't just turn it on and use it as simply as a traditional timer.

The ShotMaxx is hard to read, has a limited range of functions and is best suited to live fire use IMHO..... I have one along with a CED 8000 and a couple of Pact MkIII's.

The best dry fire timer for me is the CED8000, the most user friendly is the Pact and the most convenient is the ShotMaxx. There is no one clear winner, their strengths and weaknesses are entirely relative to the game being played.

What do you need timer to do for dry fire practice....??

I have a ced 8000. Larger easy to use easy to see... I like the belt clip with fold down screen , you can look down to see times review one hand attached to belt. 9 volt batt

Never used the 7000. Smaller screen, special battery. Their web site is informative.

CED 8000 does everything the 7000 does and is a bigger screen and uses a 9v battery - keep a spare and its always ready to go.

For training you can leave it on a table close buy and see the numbers very easy, scrolling throught he menues is easy a strightforward. Also easy to use a SO / RO with the extra buttons on the top.

We have several of the Pocket Pro II for club use. They work well but the user interface is less intunitive. Also, it uses a potentiomter to set the sensitivity (need a small screwdriver) while the CED 8000 is all digital.

The CED 8000 costs a bit more but in the long run its worth it.

Thanks all. I have made my decision.

I really only have two main needs of a shot timer.

1) I really need a training timer that I can use both indoors and outdoors. My closest outdoor range is an hour away so sometimes i just want to practice some double taps at the local indoor range.

2) I also need to practice dry fire and draws at home.

Therefore, I have purchased the Shotmaxx Timer. This will work for those two main needs. When I go to the two outdoor ranges that I shot at several times a month and rent one of the practice bays, I will borrow one of their devices.

Good luck to all and thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,

James

My pact trimmer eats batteries about every two weeks I turn it off when im not timming someone and take the battery out when I'm not shooting. Oh and the start button has started sticking too. The way it eats batteries it's aggrevating you have no warning it just starts with 2beeps. Grrrrr.Lol