Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA event - What class?

BobT

New guy here - First real post/question. I've read the USPSA rule book, but I am still not sure what class should I run my Beretta 92FS in? Production, limited, limited 10?

Looking at attending my first USPSA event in about three weeks. Although I have other choices, I plan to use the same pistol I've been using in our local Steel Plate Matches, just because I've become very comfortable with it.

The gun is basically stock, except for grips, trigger spring, hammer spring and a Wilson mag release.

59 years old, been shooting my whole adult life, and never competed to this year....What was I thinking?

Bob

What does the mag release look like. If it is a direct copy of a 92x factory original you can still play in Production. If it is oversized or different enough to be readily distinguishable as NOT original equipment you will be best off competing in Lim-10 Minor or Lim Minor. Your springs are OK for any division.

Welcome to the forum Bob!

First thing you need to know is Production, Limited, ect. are DIVISIONS; shooters are CLASSIFIED as U,D,C,B,A,M, and GM.

Your Beretta is perfect for Production except for the aftermarket mag release; you could shoot it as is in Limited or Limited Ten, both Minor, but I would make it Production legal and short there where it's most competitive.

Thanks guys. Yup, I figured the mag release might be an issue, but I can put the stock one back in. Or, can I put in a longer Beretta mag release, if it was used in an approved gun? I believe they do make one.

Do you have enough mags to shoot production?

Right now I have 6 mags...but only four carriers. Is that enough?

Beretta makes an oversized mag release. The question would be if the Wilson he has is similar to the factory offering or if he has the combat version which is not offered by Beretta.

My suggestion for the first several matches would be to shoot Limited Minor. Then you get a handle on how the rules work from within the game without stressing about reloading every array and without having to plan your stages based on 10 round mags. Once you are comfortable enough with the game to no longer stress about getting it right you can verify if the mag release is allowable and start worrying about planning your stages based on 10 round magazines

Thanks guys. Yup, I figured the mag release might be an issue, but I can put the stock one back in. Or, can I put in a longer Beretta mag release, if it was used in an approved gun? I believe they do make one.

Most production shooters are going to the line with 6 to 8 magazines on their belt.

Beretta makes an oversized mag release. The question would be if the Wilson he has is similar to the factory offering or if he has the combat version which is not offered by Beretta.

My suggestion for the first several matches would be to shoot Limited Minor. Then you get a handle on how the rules work from within the game without stressing about reloading every array and without having to plan your stages based on 10 round mags. Once you are comfortable enough with the game to no longer stress about getting it right you can verify if the mag release is allowable and start worrying about planning your stages based on 10 round magazines

Good advice, thank you.

Most production shooters are going to the line with 6 to 8 magazines on their belt.

Very good to know. I still have time to gear up, if I decide to go that route.

I recently shot my first match with 5 mags and was OK. I got a relatively inexpensive holster and a triple mag pouch and hung them on my regular leather belt. I kept 1 pouch in my back pocket - not sure if I used it, but I wouldn't have wanted to compete without it.

That was enough to get me through the first event, and I'm not changing much for the second except an extra pouch. If I stay involved I have all the time in the world to spend more money on gear.

I shot in Single Stack division which basically has the same rules (and mag changes) as production. The reloads were a lot to deal with during the first 1 or 2 stages, but the strategy of when and where to change mags was fun. For some sick reason I think I want to stay in SS to keep the reloading strategy, it's kind of fun :)

I wouldn't expect to win anything your first contest out, just get familiar with the safety aspects and rules, and have fun and learn. So which class doesn't really matter - Limited would give you a scoring deficit shooting 9mm, but that shouldn't matter at all your first time out, and some people choose to shoot Limited Minor and work on better shooting to make up the points. I would consider that route, since my goal is to improve myself and not necessarily try to win.

Something I didn't comprehend beforehand was that you shoot with a squad made up of shooters from all different divisions. You shoot the same stages, the only difference being when and where people have to reload. It's pretty cool that way - there are people of all different styles there to learn from, and it puts you in a position where you don't feel 'better or worse' than anyone. So regardless of what division you shoot, you will shoot the same stages with the same people. The only difference being how many rounds you can load in your magazine (and how many points you get for B/C/D shots).

Edited by StraightSh00ter

First things first....WELCOME!

My worthless 2 cents to you is this: Don't modify your firearm at all from how it is right now. Bring 5 magazines (one for the gun, four for the belt) and load them to capacity and shoot Limited. You'll be scored using Minor Power Factor, but who cares. As a new shooter, the question you want to answer is "is this something I want to keep doing" and it's not your score that's going to make that decision for you, at least not initially. IMO, you're better off trying to answer that question without worrying about running out of mags on a 32 round stage and only 50 rounds on your person. You WILL have fun, I promise you that. So enjoy the game first, get into 'restrictions' later. If the USPSA bug bites you, there'll be plenty of time to spend stupid amounts of money on gear down the road.

Edited by kcobean

• 2 weeks later...

I shot production with four ob the belt with one barney mag in the pocket. I've never seen more than 5 or six on the belt on a shooter. At the club level few will notice or care about the mag release on an unclassified shooter who's not going to challenge the top guys probably. Go have fun. Production is what I'd suggest, just make a couple reloads.

I'd go with production to start. That's what I'm doing, minus that long discussion I had on going into Limited. You may need another magazine, but I don't think it'll be critical. I showed up with 6 magazines and 4 on my belt plus the one in the gun. Kept me hopping as I had to do a good bit of reloading, but nothing that can't be handled. They'll know your a new shooter and will probably put you at the back of the order to give you time to see what's going on and get yourself prepared.

Since the gun is not production legal as it sits. Just run Limited Minor.. As a first timer having full magazines will be a benefit as it will take multiple matches to get a grasp at stage planning. (How you will run the course of fire, reload, etc. etc.)

Lots of good advice...thanks!

Today the mailman brought me a couple more mags, and another mag carrier, so I can have five on my belt and another in my pocket to start.

Plus I got a Beretta mag release, so now I will be legal for production, and have enough mags to pull it off

I won't make my final decision until I get to the range and ask the regulars...they've been very helpful with the Steel Matches and I have no reason to believe they won't be helpful with my first USPSA match.

Bob

I shot production with four ob the belt with one barney mag in the pocket. I've never seen more than 5 or six on the belt on a shooter. At the club level few will notice or care about the mag release on an unclassified shooter who's not going to challenge the top guys probably. Go have fun. Production is what I'd suggest, just make a couple reloads.

This. Run production. The strategy part of it is what makes it the most fun.

Edited by elguapo

Production is the place to start as most gun owners have a 9 mm or larger that will qualify. Try to find an indoor range that has night shoots in USPSA or IDPA. There are fewer stages so the match will not last late into the evening. This is one of those time that (Just Do It). It will get the heart pumping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On August 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM, StraightSh00ter said:

I recently shot my first match with 5 mags and was OK. I got a relatively inexpensive holster and a triple mag pouch and hung them on my regular leather belt. I kept 1 pouch in my back pocket - not sure if I used it, but I wouldn't have wanted to compete without it.

That was enough to get me through the first event, and I'm not changing much for the second except an extra pouch. If I stay involved I have all the time in the world to spend more money on gear.

I shot in Single Stack division which basically has the same rules (and mag changes) as production. The reloads were a lot to deal with during the first 1 or 2 stages, but the strategy of when and where to change mags was fun. For some sick reason I think I want to stay in SS to keep the reloading strategy, it's kind of fun :)

I wouldn't expect to win anything your first contest out, just get familiar with the safety aspects and rules, and have fun and learn. So which class doesn't really matter - Limited would give you a scoring deficit shooting 9mm, but that shouldn't matter at all your first time out, and some people choose to shoot Limited Minor and work on better shooting to make up the points. I would consider that route, since my goal is to improve myself and not necessarily try to win.

Something I didn't comprehend beforehand was that you shoot with a squad made up of shooters from all different divisions. You shoot the same stages, the only difference being when and where people have to reload. It's pretty cool that way - there are people of all different styles there to learn from, and it puts you in a position where you don't feel 'better or worse' than anyone. So regardless of what division you shoot, you will shoot the same stages with the same people. The only difference being how many rounds you can load in your magazine (and how many points you get for B/C/D shots).

+1

• 1 month later...

I started this year with 5 mags and have never needed more than five.  That includes a section and area match.  I jumped right in to production since i had a good grasp on the rules but planning reloads took a few matches to get used to. The main thing is to just have fun and not try to go too fast. You won't be beating any GMs in your first few matches, so work on stage planning and getting your hits!