Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First competition of any kind...and I'm hooked

I, being a firearms lover, live in NY (unfortunately) and had never found any local shooting matches to attend to "pop my cherry" so to speak. I knew that this was something I would enjoy and fall head first into but always thought I would have to wait till I moved out of state to really compete. So, I did what I could to prepare; dry fires, reloads,gear set up, you name it. Until one day through some major internet searching I hit the Holy Grail. A shooting range I never even knew existed was holding a shotgun match! I signed myself up as fast as my fingers could type and prepared for the weekend. As I said, I have never shot in any form of comeptition before and was extremely nervous, even days before it started.

The day finally came and when I checked in I told the guys I was new and if they could give me the lay of the land. Everyone was extremely nice and put up with my million and one questions about what, why, and how.

This was a 7 stage course with an average round count of 18 shots per stage (125 total) and I was in the limited auto class with my benelli M2. On the first stage I was so nervous I thought "I am going to drop every reload round I have", especially since I came to the gate wanting to do quad loads as a newbie. Much to my surprise the reload went well and the stage was shot clean. (Thank you hours and hours of dry practice)

After that the nerves claimed a bit and I was able to settle in and really enjoy myself. I was being told that I was doing very well but to be honest I didn't know what "well" was or if they were just being polite. As it turns out "well" turned into second place in my division!! I couldn't believe the results when I heard them. So it's official, I am addicted.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Fantastic results - shows the value of dry firing and repetition.

If you are looking for pistol matches, look out to the tip of Long Island,

Albany and Pennsylvania. LI is the closest but may take you longer

to get to than Albany or Pa.

Good luck with your shooting - hope you get to leave NY soon (I

just did last year). :cheers:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As it turns out "well" turned into second place in my division!! I couldn't believe the results when I heard them. So it's official, I am addicted.

Congrats :cheers: .

As derekmelton posted, "it only gets worse". I believe that statement means it will become a major hobby and a good one at that. Get ready to dish out the $$$$. I too was just a shooter from a teen and shot thousands of rounds at paper out in the woods. Friend at work got me involved a few months ago. Shot 9mm Minor Carry Optics. It was for sure addicting. 2 USPSA matches and 3 Pin Mathces later, now its Open Major. Good luck in your new hobby, enjoy.

Congrats on a successful first match! Not sure where you are in NY, but here in central NJ we have regular 3 gun, USPSA, and IDPA matches. Check out Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol club. You can see the calendar and all the matches that are scheduled.

Congrats on a successful first match! Not sure where you are in NY, but here in central NJ we have regular 3 gun, USPSA, and IDPA matches. Check out Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol club. You can see the calendar and all the matches that are scheduled.

Has ob actually had a 3 gun match? I've done the 2 gun, but never saw a 3 gun one there.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I only wish old bridge didn't require crossing over into the gates of hell. Between the clubs in jersey and New York it really sucks at the amount of matches that I will not attend because of the laws

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The whole picture of what is reasonable is about to change. Gun price, gun choices, ammo budget, skill expectations, everything.

Non match shooters think they shoot a lot. They think match guns don't run. They think they are really good shooters.

It is a neverending rat hole of obsession.

It does become an obsession for sure. I gave up all my other hobbies and competitive shooting is all I think about now. Welcome to the sport!

I thought I gave up everything until I started mountainbiking to keep the fatness away. It is like the other most expensive sport. And competitive all by myself thanks to Strava.