Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight tracker in 9mm overkill?

dinmax82

Why not ? Simple physics, gun stays flat. A lot of people think that a gun can be to heavy in the front. It is ounces, not pounds. Do it if "you think" it will help you. I would if I could afford it.

It also has a lot to do with balance. And a 9mm barrel is a bunch heavier than a .40 barrel. I have a Phoenix Trinity with long dust cover, metal grip and bushing barrel. Feels awesome and recoils like a .22 with an 8 or 9 lb spring. I would think the extra weight of a bull barrel, not to mention sight tracker, would be overkill. But really, it's personal preference. So maybe you'll like it.

It also has a lot to do with balance. And a 9mm barrel is a bunch heavier than a .40 barrel. I have a Phoenix Trinity with long dust cover, metal grip and bushing barrel. Feels awesome and recoils like a .22 with an 8 or 9 lb spring. I would think the extra weight of a bull barrel, not to mention sight tracker, would be overkill. But really, it's personal preference. So maybe you'll like it.

I told him via PM that although it's not needed, it really makes for a nice/fun shooting gun. My 4.5 ST in 9mm was super flat and fast. No dipping of the front sight either.

Sight tracker is a cool feature, but its just that...a cool feature. I would really challenge you to tell or feel the difference. Its chrome rims and chilled cup holders, not another 20 hp under the hood. Get it if you dig it, but you can't go wrong either way.

The extra weight of the barrel makes a big difference in feel.

Some smiths are adding tungsten sleeves to their barrels.

If you're worried about it being too heavy, go with a short dust cover (especially in 9mm). You can always experiment with lighter/heavier guide rods to change the balance/handling. You can also do a large ball or plunge cut in the rib to reduce more weight, if needed.