Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules for Shipping a Gun

But the question came up. I did a search, really, but it was a little murky.

Perhaps we could have a sticky thread, since it is very cool of Brian to let us trade blasters here, and alot of us are doing it?

My understanding is you must ship next day air via UPS or Fed Ex to an FFL for a firearm transfer (from a non FFL). Do I need a signed FFL from the shippee?

I can't wait to see how wrong I am. B)

TomB

Generally, unless you are a FFL holder, a FFL licensee will not send you a copy of his/her FFL. Exchanges of FFL licenses usually take place between FFL license holders. There could be some exceptions to this, but not many. You must ship UPS next day air, or fedex if you are a non-FFL shipping to a FFL holder. FFL to FFL shipments can be made via USPS but the package must be taken to the post office and PS Form 1508 must be signed and submitted with the shipment to the postmaster. Hope this helps.

I find the most convenient method is for a local FFl to send the item to an FFL at the buyers end. Before my FFL holder can do that, he needs an ink signed copy of the FFL of the person to whom he is going to ship. My local guy uses the US Post Office to ship most of his packages.

Actually you don't have to ship next day air....I thought you did as well but that isn't the case.

Spot on. I actually prefer second day as it saves a lot.

Some FFLs will accept shipment from an individual. I have shipped this way and received a copy of the receivers FFL marked in ink " File copy for the use of individual for transfer of one firearm only" Some even specify what the firearm is.

Regards,

Without shipping through FFLs and avoiding the 2nd day air, cost (these are BATF rules mandatory for FFls) you can ship gun(s) to yourself, yes that is correct to your own name c/o business name or person. Ammo must ship separately and be clearly marked ORD

I talked Virgil Tripp today about having some work done on my pistol. I asked him if I needed to go through somebody with an FFL to get my pistol shipped too him. He told me that all I need to do is go to either FedEx or UPS and send it too him.(I would need to declare the package contained a firearm and insure it).

It's fine to send to directly to a gunsmith.

I went into our local post office and asked the regs regarding shipping regular mail. The post master wnet and looked it up - told me do not put anything stating there was a gun inside, ship unloaded and no ammo. No other rules.

I also understand no FFL to or from a gunsmith.

The best summary I have found of requirements for shipping guns is on Gun Broker.com. They provide all of the applicable statues and do a great job of saying it in plan english.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFA...=1118&NoCount=1

Hope this helps! It is in MY bookmark file!

Thank you for the link. Looks like the information there can be trusted as correct.

HERE is a link to the ATF FAQ's regarding transfers of firearms between individuals. Scroll down to section "B. Unlicensed Persons". B3 says an individual may sell a firearm to another person in another state if the arrangement is made through an FFL in the purchaser's home state.

Add that to B8 (USPS can ship long guns only, no handguns) and B9 that was on the gunbroker link.

Where are you guys reading that firearms can be shipped 2nd Day Air? Didn't I read, aww hell, I'll just copy and paste:

FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.

What part of this isn't correct?

Where are you guys reading that firearms can be shipped 2nd Day Air?  Didn't I read, aww hell, I'll just copy and paste:
FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.

What part of this isn't correct?

The "overnight" is a UPS policy, not a law. BUT..... it may be a violation of law to not tell the shipper what's in the package, and they will refuse for 2nd day air if they read their manual properly. There may be some law somewhere which makes it a The shipper is virtually certain to deny any insurance coverage if the package was shipped in violation of their regulations.

I have read that the "overnight" policy (also known as the "you pay extra because our employees may be theives" policy) does not apply to inoperable partial handguns such as frames, despite the fact that these meet the federal definition of firearm.

The USPS handgun shipment form is http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

This was discussed in another thread last month. As far as federal rules go, you must notify the shipper (UPS, FedEX, etc.) that the package contains a firearm. I posted the relevant portion of the US Code in the previous thread.

-David

Ok, I get the fact that pistols must be shipped by common/contract carrier and that Federal law does not stipulate the how quickly the package must be in transit. But, what I don't get is where you can ship a handgun by anything other than overnight?

I sold my USP a number of years ago, shipped it myself to the buyers FFL via FedEx and paid $46 to it overnight per their regs.

Good find on the UPS shipping Dave. As in not shipping from an individual to an FFL unless it's for repairs.

No comment on the policies of these businesses we are apparently forced to use.