Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling mags

danjordan78

you must have an extra, extra large tumbling device ... can't imagine trying to put a 170mm mag in my tumbler or even 140s .... how are yours getting so dirty that you need a tumbler to clean them?

Never do. I just wipe them down with a rag and hit them with silicone lube. Never got one funky enough to need tumbling. And I don't really see any need for a mirror-like finish on something that I am going to throw on the ground... ;)

Later,
Chuck

I tumbled a 170 I got used here in a regular tumbler. Didn't do anything special to it. It seemed it was greased so I wanted that off. Just tumbled for 3 hours and that was it. Stainless media with dish soap N water. No issues. I don't think there's enough movement to damage the lips. Mine is a smaller drum. Mags stayed sideways the entire time

I tumble all of my mags in a rotary tumbler with corn cob with the green colored jewelers rouge which is the correct color for stainless steel (available at harbor freight). I broke the rouge up into small pieces and tumbled for 24 hours. The mags come out with a mirror finish and my feed lip dimensions did not change.

Thanks all. I've heard of people doing this and thought it might polish them up a little. Not sure if I will try it yet, maybe just some Flitz or something. All I have is a vibratory tumbler so a little worried about the edges. If I had a rotary I don't think I would hesitate.

Tried it once, didn't seem to do much. Whenever my mags start getting a little "crummy" looking , I hose the inside down with gun scrubber and polish the outside with a buffing wheel and stainless steel polish. In 10 minutes I have shiny brand new looking mags

Tumble mags? Why?

I could care less if they are shiny. I have way more important things to accomplish. If, and when, they get dirty I disassemble, run a brush thru, wipe down spring and follower, reassemble and done.

I just did two mags (SPS that I use in my Para) last week ... after reading about it here.

They were kinda shinny anyhow ... but I dropped one at a time in an empty vibrator tumbler with my usual "lizard litter" load (walnut) and a couple of drops of nu-finish car polish for about 3 hours.

... just the bodies and they came out noticeably shinier.

I suspect it is all cosmetic but I like it ... they feel nice ... :closedeyes:

When I see someone looking at them and thinking they are admiring them ... they are probably "really" thinking "what an idiot/fng ... he is polishing his mags" ... sigh ...

One good reason is that it makes the inside of the bodies slicker and takes any little rough spots off the followers. Besides, it is one of those things that really take very little time, unless you get your jollies watching a tumbler run for hours. :roflol: