Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side-charging uppers

rugerdawg

To those of you whom have built on side charging uppers, I see some are reciprocating vs non, what are some pros and cons. I see there are several different designs, (crosshill technologies, gibbz, spartan,mega).

Looks like a rather cool idea, just looking to someone who may have some experience to share.

thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advantage of the reciprocating charging handle is that you can visually see any malfunctions and it allows you to have the most force on extracting that damaged casing out of the gun or to work as a forward assist..

However, with quality charging handle designs matched with strong carrier, the strength isn't a big issue on non-reciprocating side-charging handles. Also, visual inspection is equally possible by looking at the ejection port side. It also will not strike you if you make mistakes.

I have used various brands of side charging models and I like them because it feels that I have more control in various positions, especially in prone.

Edited by Gunnar

I have used the side chargers for years. The con is that you don't have a lite weight system. It can be cut down some to loose some weight, but not in the Alum or Ti league. The pros is like mentioned earlier, plus, if the gun needs locked back on a stage, it is by far faster than a charging handle.

I tried one of the Gibbz uppers and looked at another brand a friend had and I've shot a couple rifles with reciprocating handles, like the SCAR. Here's what my take is on this: I'm not a big fan of the reciprocating handle but I can live with it.

What I really dislike is having any kind of handle on the left side. It's just awkward for me. I didn't expect it to be an issue because I have no particular problems with a regular AR15 charging handle, but it is.

It's really personal preference.

I've got an LAR left side, reciprocating handle, side charge upper and really like it.

I'm for the reciprocating handle as it has less parts than the others and the reasons outlined in #2 and #3 above. If you don't like the left side handle Crosshill makes an ambi so you can pick the side or a right hand only. Personally I like the left side well enough that I had MOA do my shotgun that way.

I'll post a pic of the shotgun when it arrives, just shipped back this week.

31c3df59-db87-42dc-a0fc-271cbf3a2ef7_zps

I built a ASA side charge upper a while back and I didn't care for it. The main reason was because it didn't have a forward assist and the charging handle is non-reciprocating so you can't use that. I like to have a forward assist, whether it be for easing a round into the chamber on a hunting rifle or making sure the bolt is in battery after checking to make sure a round is in the chamber on a competition rifle.

I can certainly see the benefit of a side charger on a rifle with a large scope, but I would stay away from ASA.

I run a JP lightweight carrier in one of my Gibbz uppers, and a Rubber City lightweight adjustable carrier in the other... one of the things I like about the Gibbz system is that you can run any BCG just by dropping in their proprietary cam pin.

A very minor note concerning the side chargers like the Tooth and Nail version is you will need a scope mount that has nothing sticking out left side.

My preferred mount has been the Burris PEPR but with the nuts that hold the mount to the gun on the left side, I've found they get in the way.

Like I said, its minor.

Bill

It's worth noting that while there are several left charging upper designs out there, the number of companies making right side charging (reciprocating) uppers seems to have dwindled. One of the more popular was the LAR but Lancer fell off the face of the earth. Not sure who the leader is now, if there is one.

I've been shooting my Gibbz now for about 4 months.

Love it and won't go back.

Another entertainment point is watching RO's try to clear the rifle on multi gun stages and look for the old charging handle. the look on their faces is precious.

post-53044-0-74367700-1436192977_thumb.j

I've got an LAR but I seriously doubt if there will be any more, as Remington bought them. The Crosshill is almost identical and they have Ambi and right side models. JoeBob's has as good a price on them as I have seen.

I would not doubt that some of the Crosshill folks may have come from LAR, but, that is purely supposition on my part.

http://shop.crosshilltech.com/collections/upper-receivers

I had my right side's done by White Oak Armament. A good friend of mine does them as well and is very reasonable and a great shooter. Joel Pendergraf out of NC. Joel even holds some world records with his rifles.

Pendergraft Gun Works , tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call.

Edited by troupe

I've got an LAR but I seriously doubt if there will be any more, as Remington bought them. The Crosshill is almost identical and they have Ambi and right side models. JoeBob's has as good a price on them as I have seen.

I would not doubt that some of the Crosshill folks may have come from LAR, but, that is purely supposition on my part.

http://shop.crosshilltech.com/collections/upper-receivers

I was told that LAR's design was taken over by Crosshill, and it is essentially the same product now being produced under a different name.

Ok, thanks.

Seems they dropped the left side only model, although the Ambi will obviously suffice.

Nothing like paying all they extra money to get a low mass carrier, only to add it back with two reciprocating charging handles