Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

n320 equivalent?

tcazes

Dont freak out about it. W231 and HP-38 are exactly the same thing, both are good powders for 9mm and for 45. They just arent the same as N320. I find the recoil impluse of N320 to be way softer than 231/hp-38. It is a little more poppy imo. Not bad, just not as good as N320.

Exactly the same, one has 231 label the other HP38.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that Vihtavuori doesn't publish data for N310 and 9mm except for 90 grain bullets, and if you use it, you may be over SAAMI standard pressures.

Load for Open we live over SAAMI std pressures. Lol just start light and move up slowly ans check for over pressure signs.

The most accurate 9mm load I have developed in 30 years is: 5gr. VVN330 behind a Montana Gold 124gr.hp. In my S&W 952 and Tactical 3566…2"groups (5 shot) @ 50 yds. Great Bullseye load.

Next is 4.4gr. W231 with the same bullet.

With the 17L and a Lone Woldf 6.25" barrel…N330 and a 122gr. cast conical flat-point is stellar….same with my Stainless Match 6" barrel for the M&P 9L….

These loads work well in my Glock 17L, S&W M&P Performance Center 9L, my S&W 952 and 3566.

Here's the problem….

I cannot find VV N330, anywhere. Vihtavouri says that it was developed for the 9mm…so I am not surprised it is fantastic….but where can I buy it?

I just purchased a 929 S&W 8-shot revolver….I have not picked up the gun, but I have heard that the reloads I have made…and I have about 1500 loaded…may not chamber since I use a Dillon sizing die. I trust they will since they fit in a 9mm chamber checker.

What is this about a "U" die? I know for 40 cal. unsupported chambers (like my old G23), I use a push-through Redding die before sizing….but a "U"die?

Finally, I like using Remington Brass. I have never had a case split, it works nicely, the primers seat well and I have never had an issue. With the 929, do I need special moon-clips for R-P brass. Can I use the same moon clips as with my .38 Super?

Terry

www.USLapua.com. He had around 1000lbs of VithaV powder of all kinds...But I just checked now he shows OoStock. Crazy. Ammoseek.com is not showing any VithaV. Wow. Found some N310 @ Butches reloading. Lol

Edited by a matt

Thanks Bowenbuilt. :)

Am running BBI Hi Tek coated, sounds similar to Acme's version, so will try some loads in the 3.4 to 3.6 range. Have read your posts praising E3; do you think ETR-7 is the equal of E3 in terms of performance, such as accuracy, recoil, cleanliness? If so, then will spring for a 4lb can of ETR rather than a 1 lb can, and skip waiting for E3 or RS Comp to become available again.

My experience with e3 mirrors Bowenbuilt's exactly.

I was looking for some powder to load some 9mm carbine ammo awhile back and saw the ETR when nothing else was available and I didn't want to load up my coveted e3 stash. So I did a ton of googling and from what I saw it looked to be the stuff for 9mm, not as good in the .40 or .45 but I couldn't find one single person that didn't love it in 9mm. I was just about to buy 8lbs of it when I found a jug of Titegroup. I went with that since I can load it in my wife's .380.

Just like others have said, Ramshot Comp is identical and pretty clean. I've switched to Comp and see no reason to go back to N320

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ramshot competition is not identical to N320. I did a load workup and it took .2 more grains of competition to get the same velocities as N320 in my Sp01 shadow. N320 also produces more consistent velocities.

I've replaced VV N320 with ETR-7 for 9mm. Flake powder meters well, better availability, cheaper, good volume (can't double charge), temp insensitive, clean burning, not hot or smoky. Extreme spread a little high at low powder charges when working up a load but E.S. tightens nicely as power factor increases.

IIRC 3.7 gr. ETR-7 / Bayou 135 grain, 134PF, 1.085" COAL in a 4.5" barrel Stock 2

I'll second ert7, but at minor power it isn't clean and it's pretty variable in speed.

Hodgdon clays is similar to n320. Bullseye is another potential n320 substitute. I'd try the clays first.

Hodgdon clays is similar to n320. Bullseye is another potential n320 substitute. I'd try the clays first.

After burning close to 50lbs of Clays and at least 10lbs of VV320 I will call this statement as wrong. There is a world of difference between them and a world of pain if you try to substitute loads.

Hodgdon International Clays is closer to N320 and normal Clays is closer to VV310.

Edited by Service Desk

The most accurate 9mm load I have developed in 30 years is: 5gr. VVN330 behind a Montana Gold 124gr.hp. In my S&W 952 and Tactical 3566…2"groups (5 shot) @ 50 yds. Great Bullseye load.

Next is 4.4gr. W231 with the same bullet.

With the 17L and a Lone Woldf 6.25" barrel…N330 and a 122gr. cast conical flat-point is stellar….same with my Stainless Match 6" barrel for the M&P 9L….

These loads work well in my Glock 17L, S&W M&P Performance Center 9L, my S&W 952 and 3566.

Here's the problem….

I cannot find VV N330, anywhere. Vihtavouri says that it was developed for the 9mm…so I am not surprised it is fantastic….but where can I buy it?

I just purchased a 929 S&W 8-shot revolver….I have not picked up the gun, but I have heard that the reloads I have made…and I have about 1500 loaded…may not chamber since I use a Dillon sizing die. I trust they will since they fit in a 9mm chamber checker.

What is this about a "U" die? I know for 40 cal. unsupported chambers (like my old G23), I use a push-through Redding die before sizing….but a "U"die?

Finally, I like using Remington Brass. I have never had a case split, it works nicely, the primers seat well and I have never had an issue. With the 929, do I need special moon-clips for R-P brass. Can I use the same moon clips as with my .38 Super?

Terry

Terry,my standard load for my 929 is 4.8 gr of Autocomp ,Zero 115 JHP #135 at 1.095 aol, Win primers misc cases and standard blue TK custom moon clips.Will shoot 1.5" at 50 yards.No issues with loading or extraction. I use a standard Lee sizing as it sizes lower that most other dies. I aslo have a lot of Rem 9mm brass and found that it is to tight to use in standard TK blue moon clips. TK has stainless clips that work great with Rem brass.

I also have not seen VV330 listed for sale recently.

BMT 929 moon clip tool works great for me.

Tom

Edited by 9146gt