Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you shoot Single Stack Division in USPSA?

MikeFoley

I don't give a hoot. If they do it, then I'll shoot. :P

Right now, I'm happy shooting L-10 with a singlestack 45.

Now, I'm going to tell why really don't have any strong preferences about it.

I keep thorough practice notes. Practice notes don't lie. My SS reload is about .15 slower than my fat gun on a static reload when testing. Moving reloads, no difference. My match reloads "are what they are".

I cannot see any difference in my personal split times or accuracy from wide .40 to SS .45.

FWIW, why do people load 200 grainers in a .40? To make it feel soft like a 230 grainer in a .45? :D

I am a little quicker (.10) from my 012 Safariland than with my Uncle Mike's Kydex or Safariland 010. In a steel match, I'll opt for the fastest holster I can use. But I prefer a clean, tight, rig for all day wear at a USPSA match. My everyday carry holster is the very same Uncle Mike's. It's way more comfortable. Don't discount that.

I prefer 2 mag pouches in front of my left hip and the rest farther back. If I had to move them all "behind the point of the hip", no problem. That's my everyday carry position. And it's way more comfortable. Don't discount that.

Here's my bottom line. Personally, I really don't see the need for a new SS division at all. But, let USPSA set the rules and I'll play by them. I like the added challenge of competing against fat guns, especially since so many people seem to think it's impossible to win your class with a SS when shooting against them. And I will not abandon L-10 if the new division is approved. I'll shoot both divisions with the same gun and holster as long as it makes sense to do so.

Would you rather be the guy with the fat gun in L10? Or be the SS shooter who beat the all guys with the fat guns in L-10?

I'll take my chances. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great attitude Sam, and a lot of valid points that I agree with.

I have been shooting my single stack in steel challenge from a blade tech, and I have been competitive against the race holsters. The comfort factor is huge, and though I run a Limcat in Limited, I like shooting from kydex any other time. I don't shoot L10, but I would shoot some in the SS division.

I really don't think the fat gun is faster for a shooter who practices with a SS either. I think it is more forgiving of a sloppy reload, that's all, and like you said, in a match on the move, there is no difference. I recently shot an El Prez with my singlestack, and I had never reloaded in a match before. Now I don't even recall doing that reload, but the onlookers said it was smooth and fast, and it was one of my best El Presidentes ever. Manipulating the sinlestack mag into a S&A mag funnel may be easier than the fat basepad widebody, I mean you may have more dexterity.

I would...absolutely. But, given a choice b/t L10 and Single Stack, I'd use my STI in Limited 10. I'm just more comfortable with it.

I'm still under the opinion that Single Stack should be on it's own with 10 round limits...if you couldn't tell. I'm sure if anything comes out of the BOD regarding this, it'll be yet ANOTHER division added to the fray.

Sorry, it's been a long day/weekend.

I would definitely participate! It would also give me the reason to go buy another 1911 after selling my old trusty Colt to buy my kids blasters, after all it wasn't been used. However, I wouldn't like to see L-10 go.

Let's do the demostration period for the SS division with the SSC rules and take it from there. Time will tell what to do with it.

$0.02

End L10. Make it SS division and roughly follow the SSC rules.

- retain major/minor (remember the power part of DVC)

- no race holsters/mag pouches

- 8 rd mags

- could care less about bull barrels or extended dust covers

- no point of hip, a rule which never made sense to me at all

I've had a STI Trojan 40 S&W sitting in my safe for a couple of years ~ never shot it nor have I purchased any aftermarket mags. I love my single stack 45 but haven't shot it since I got my STI 2011 Limited setup.

I'm currently set up for loading 40S&W and 38 Super on my 650 dillon press with complete toolheads and don't wish to have setup and components for yet another caliber.

I don't anticipate ever participating in a single stack division but would not say never. I'll probably be selling my Trojan in the near future.

.40 is major in USPSA in other divisions - I would expect it to remain major.

Single Stack Classic rules used by the Single Stack Society. - .40 cal is major if they load 8 - minor if they load 10.

Personally, I'd prefer 8 for everyone and 175 PF to make major.

I would only if I can use 10rd mags. 8rd mags for USPSA is just stupid IMO.

Wrong, IMO. The whole point is a Division that's true to the Single Stack 1911. That means flush fitting magazines with only the slam pad hanging out. If you want 10 rounds, it might be an option in 38 cal with minor scoring.

Clyde, I was wondering when you would chime in. I know you are a true player, especially with the single stack. Rhetorical question: How many do you have now, 100? If you need to borrow one, LOL... You shoot SS like you are on fire, you stomped me and Vikings501 at Steel Challenge.

How about a "Single Stack / 8 round max 45 ACP only Division" than it would be major only.

Kind of like the "Single Stack Classic".

I'd do that...

I'm already an average © shooter in L10.. so that would just give me another division to be Mr. nobody in.. :blink:

I can't wait..

I just like shooting 1911's..

fomeister

I must admit to doubling up on the Red Bull that day :D

And remember that you can only go as fast as the guys who are pushing you, and the two of you sure do push hard.

Rhetorical Answer - More than I need and Less Than I Want

Looking at the BOD minutes, the Single stack "provisional division" has been approved and now they are working on divisional rules to be announced later...

(Most likely AFTER USPSA Nationals) so they don't have to try and incorporate them into the Nats this year !!!

But any way.....

Thanks for the Hard Work ROB and the rest of the BOD !!! ;)

This "Division" may or may not work time will tell, but at least our sport has leaders that are listening to their members. :)

Hopalong

Guys, the Provisional Division was approved in concept only. I had to bring a proposal to the BOD by 3-1-05 which I did. I hope it will be voted on soon, and it may pass or may not. If the BOD does not approve the project in this next vote, it is DOA.