Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have read about, but have never, seen a tubular shaped sponge that is pressed into a gunshot wound. It swells when it comes in contact with blood and plugs the hole until the victim can reach a hospital. Any info on this?

I have read about, but have never, seen a tubular shaped sponge that is pressed into a gunshot wound. It swells when it comes in contact with blood and plugs the hole until the victim can reach a hospital. Any info on this?

Sounds like curlex or quick clot.

Or a tampon.....

Or a tampon.....

:roflol:

We had a guy at where I worked shove a steel rod into and through his arm and as a reflex yanked it straight out, blood everywhere, we were busily grabbing for towels when one of the ladies grabbed her bag and plugged the holes with a tampon from either end, covered it up with a big towel and taped it all up before the Ambulance was even out of the station. 10 minutes later they turn up he has his arm up over his head lounging on a couch sipping sweet hot tea.

They leave it alone and drag him off to the hospital. He was back at work 4 weeks later. No major permanent damage.

Lucky for him there were a bunch of people around who were experienced enough to help him out. I remember hearing something similar to that story, but sadly, the guy was in the range by himself, he died from blood loss.

My son gets bad nose bleeds every now and then, and I used cut up tampons to plug his nose, works all the time. I may have to add that to my basic med kit in my range bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Or a tampon.....

I keep 5-6 tampons in my emergency medical kit. I have talked to numerous medical professionals (my dad is a doc so there are always docs and nurses around when I visit home) about it and they said tampons work great for gunshot and other puncture wounds. Also, after talking to my fathers friend who has been an ER doc for over 20 years, I bought some Bolin chest seals for the kit. He said in his experience 9 times out of 10 many fatal gun shot wounds to the torso would have been treatable if the first responder could deal with a sucking chest wound. Exactly what the Bolin chest seal is designed to do. Something you guys may want to look into for your kits.

What caliber tampon should I ask my wife to pick up for my first aid kit?

Silly George, tampons are measured in gauges, just like shotgun's. For instance, a 12ga tampon denotes that it takes 12 tampons in this size to fill the bore of.... ummm.... nevermind.

Or a tampon.....

I keep 5-6 tampons in my emergency medical kit. I have talked to numerous medical professionals (my dad is a doc so there are always docs and nurses around when I visit home) about it and they said tampons work great for gunshot and other puncture wounds. Also, after talking to my fathers friend who has been an ER doc for over 20 years, I bought some Bolin chest seals for the kit. He said in his experience 9 times out of 10 many fatal gun shot wounds to the torso would have been treatable if the first responder could deal with a sucking chest wound. Exactly what the Bolin chest seal is designed to do. Something you guys may want to look into for your kits.

Another reason I have tape and sheets of plastic. Crude, but it will work.

Early technology 'sanitary napkins' made excellent thick pressure bandages. My mom used to carry two or three in the car's first aid box of tricks. I'm not sure if they manufacture the old-fashioned kind any longer--the new ones are made of thin something-or-other and may not function in the same way and don't have the end ties that the old ones had. I never used those bulky things anyway (I was a tampon kind of gal), so didn't keep up with the evolution of the absorbency technology. :devil::P

Early technology 'sanitary napkins' made excellent thick pressure bandages. My mom used to carry two or three in the car's first aid box of tricks. I'm not sure if they manufacture the old-fashioned kind any longer--the new ones are made of thin something-or-other and may not function in the same way and don't have the end ties that the old ones had. I never used those bulky things anyway (I was a tampon kind of gal), so didn't keep up with the evolution of the absorbency technology. :devil::P

HAHAHAHA. Never thought of using those. I did managed to hit up a local Winn Dixie when they were going out of business about 3 months ago and get a whole shopping cart of different size gauze pads and bandages. Best part....it was 80% off.