Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11.5 Main Spring

W_Buck

I generally had good luck with the 11.5lb mainspring but occasionally I'd have some Winchester primers not set off (their quality seems to have gone down in my opinion). I went back with the 13lb spring because it was 100% reliable. I've not found the DA pull to be the restriction for my shooting. Then again I had a M9 Beretta and a SIG DA experience before coming to CZ.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another practice session today. Around 250 rounds. 11.5 spring still has no light strikes. That's 550 rounds with CCI primers and all have went bang the first time. Things are looking good so far. I just hope it doesn't decide to start acting up at the match next weekend.

Edited by W_Buck

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running an 8.5 in two different CZC Shadow Targets. Federal primers seated as deeply as possible. Primers are flat with no radius on the edges.

I case gauge and do a "feel" test with my finger. Anything that feels less than .008" gets mic'd. Anything less than .007" gets put in the practice pile. Deepest primers are .018".

Running about 4k rounds now, I've had a a few light strikes. Everything polished; sides of hammer, hammer strut, firing pin bearing surface, firing pin channel.

Most light strikes will go bang on second strike. Had one at a Level 2 match that didn't. Wasn't sure if it was too deep. Was going to save it and mic it when I got home but I lost the round.

Think I'm going to go up to an 11.5lb spring and maybe cut a coil or two off.

Edited by d_striker

I run the 11.5# and have shot all primers with no issues. I mainly shoot Federal because I got them in a bulk buy, but I have tried CCi, S&B, Winchester, Remington etc and they all have worked just fine with that spring and the extended firing pin.

One thing that I don't think has been discussed is hammer width. I know the extra weight of a wide hammer is negligible, but would it help with primer ignition?

I only ask because I have to get a new hammer. Right now, I have the narrow hammer on both Shadows from CZC.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I'm using the 11.5 CGW and Extended firing pin with S&B primers. They all go bang every time.

I'm very happy to hear this. I have a bunch of S&B primers and looking at getting either a build from CZC or Automatic Accuracy and was concerned that they might be worthless with a tricked out trigger. Fingers crossed that they're good to go with my potential upcoming purchase..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

got a chance to shoot my new (to me) shadow a little today. 11.5 cgw mainspring and S&B primers had zero light strikes. I also gave the 8.5 cgw mainspring a test w/ federal SPP... holy crap thats a smooth light trigger pull, and also zero light strikes on the fed SPP. Ive got a boat load of S&B primers so i'll probably plan on putting the 11.5 in for practice and using the S&B, and then swapping for the 8.5 and feds for matches. . . The 11.5 isn't a ton heavier on DA, but damn is the 8.5 light. I'm coming from about a decade of shooting a factory spring'd sig P229.. compared to that the CZ is ridiculously great