Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Louisiana Gator Classic

2 years ago, after several local club matches, I decided I wanted to go bigger. I found a match, got approval from the wife, and signed up for my first level 2. That October I made the drive from Houston to Thibodaux for the Gator Classic, where I won High Limited unclassified and had a blast. I made it in last year and had another awesome time, though I didnt win anything having just made C class. Both times I met some wonderful people and made a few friends. THIS is why I like the match so much and will try my damndest to make it every year.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so badly want to chime in on the peeps who have no idea what it takes to put on this match.. I had one guy say we should do it like Florida Open and run 350 to 450 shooters and it would work because of a matrix. I do sit on the BOD and I was the one who proposed the idea for the two sign up periods. So if you want to hate, then hate me. This is the best option for our shooters. I worked out the number several different way and I will not explain it to you. The system will work. There are about 75 hard working people who work the match. Some work all week and most just work the weekend. Every If you don't like it then go find another match RO shoots the match in two day format. So when all of the great shooters show up on Friday afternoon or Saturday we are ready to give you the best match possible. We have great sponsors who come out and shoot with us on the pre match days.

This match will fill up whether you sign up or not. Until you take a week off of work, show up the Monday before the match and spend 10 hours a day building stages then sit back, shut up and just say thank you and move on.

Thank you and have a great day and I hope to see you on my stage.

Edited by BR ENV Shooter

10x what Keith said.

There is no easy way to deal with a match that fills up that quick. And what one group may deem fair will always seem unfair to another group. Whether or not I agree with ANY facet of a match, I will respect the people who put it on and their decisions. Not everyone will make it in. No matter how registration happens. And trust me... I know they wish there were a 'perfect' way. But there isn't.

Quite honestly, as popular as this match is, I will be shocked if it DOESN'T fill up with Louisiana folks.

Not to hijack this thread.... I will be posting elsewhere about a similar situation. ;)

I wish everyone luck getting a slot, and hope everyone has a blast!! There are a lot of good folks that give up a LOT of their time and lives to put this match on. Whether you agree or disagree, I hope everyone just keeps it civil.

Whether I agree or not with what has been decided, I respect their right to do what they did since, after all, it IS the Louisiana Classic. I have enjoyed shooting it and want to shoot it again this year. I will try to get in when it is time for us outsiders to apply, but will also be surprised if it is not already full from Louisiana shooters. However, I do feel Mississippi and other states should do the same. I know many people from Mississippi who have shot the Mississippi Classic for years that were unable to get in this year. Quite frankly, that was not fair to them that they were busy doing other things and didn't immediately print out an application and immediately overnight it. Then again I understand the desire to have shooters from different states or countries come in to shoot it. I guess the ones that put on the matches just need to each decide what is important to them; whether to give the residents of their state the first opportunity to fill up the match; or whether they want a larger cross section of shooters from other states and/or countries. I wish there was a way to do both, but obviously you get into limitations in each state as to the number of shooters they can accommodate and still run a smooth match. I guess it just goes to show the increased popularity of the sport, which is a good thing. If I don't get in, I will be disappointed to miss what I feel is a fun match, but it won't be the end of the world. The sun will still come up the next day!

I so badly want to chime in on the peeps who have no idea what it takes to put on this match.. I had one guy say we should do it like Florida Open and run 350 to 450 shooters and it would work because of a matrix. I do sit on the BOD and I was the one who proposed the idea for the two sign up periods. So if you want to hate, then hate me. This is the best option for our shooters. I worked out the number several different way and I will not explain it to you. The system will work. There are about 75 hard working people who work the match. Some work all week and most just work the weekend. Every If you don't like it then go find another match RO shoots the match in two day format. So when all of the great shooters show up on Friday afternoon or Saturday we are ready to give you the best match possible. We have great sponsors who come out and shoot with us on the pre match days.

This match will fill up whether you sign up or not. Until you take a week off of work, show up the Monday before the match and spend 10 hours a day building stages then sit back, shut up and just say thank you and move on.

Thank you and have a great day and I hope to see you on my stage.

What he said ^

Wow, this escalated quickly. My intent was not to question the work it takes to put on the match or make anyone defensive about the match itself.

My intent was to ask if it is in the spirit of fairness to have preferential entry periods, good or bad. I am sorry to have caused quite the ruckus.

Good luck with the match and the competitors shooting.

Well consider this, with this idea of fairness. How fair is it to the section champion to not be able to get in to their section championship match? Keith put it well, since this is a section championship the section members are entitled to first shot access.

How fair is it? It's totally fair, and it's a damn good idea.

Everyone grumbles about "growing the sport"... well, the sport grows locally. There are many competitors out there that will never spend the money and take the time to travel to an out of state major or nationals, but they will be there, every month, at every local club, setting up, pasting, supporting the sport, bringing their friends. *This* is where the sport grows. And those people damn sure should get first dibs at their own section match.

Kudos to the LAGC staff that stepped up to the challenge presented them and came up with a good solution.

Let me provide you with this example. I live in Wheeling, WV. The nearest club match for me is in the Western PA Section around Pittsburgh. Even with the introduction of a new club in Zanesville, that is still the Ohio Section. I frequently shoot the club matches around PGH and try to get up there to help on Saturday setup when I can. Usually, it is at 2 of the clubs. I have no problem helping set up.

How fair would it be to me to get told I have to wait until someone else, who never helps set-up and never helps reset during the match, gets first dibs because they live in the section?

Let me provide you with this example. I live in Wheeling, WV. The nearest club match for me is in the Western PA Section around Pittsburgh. Even with the introduction of a new club in Zanesville, that is still the Ohio Section. I frequently shoot the club matches around PGH and try to get up there to help on Saturday setup when I can. Usually, it is at 2 of the clubs. I have no problem helping set up.

How fair would it be to me to get told I have to wait until someone else, who never helps set-up and never helps reset during the match, gets first dibs because they live in the section?

Ok how is it fair for over 100 section members who pays their dues to not be able to shoot in their section because some guy from WV got in who has never shot down here. Its not fair at all. This has been done at several other matches over the country and will most likely start a new trend. Look at it this way, what about the super shooters who put their time in for IPSC matches so they can get qualified to shoot the IPSC Nationals. What if for all the hard work they put in, they could not get in because a random shooter signed up who doesn't now what IPSC even means.

All in all it is what it is and that is how it will be. Unless you are planning on shooting the Gator, leave it alone.

Edited by BR ENV Shooter

Everyone can agree to disagree. The props for all the stages are provided by 3 clubs in LA which is paid for by those membership dues and local match fees. The staff is vastly comprised of local shooters who shoot these local matches. The Gator filled up last year in literally 2-3 hours. The MS Classic this year you had to overnight or drive your app to get in. These matches are popular and I think the section members who support the section week in week out in my mind deserve the opportunity to shoot their state match.

Let me answer your question with a question. I live in Louisiana. I am a paid member of 3 clubs that are a part of the Louisiana section. I volunteer as a member of the Board of Directors on one of those clubs. I pay section dues, I come early to set up and tear down matches held in the section, I RO local matches. I participate in range work days, building walls and general maintenance. How fair is it to me that I get left out of my section match in order for someone from Wheeling, WVA to come down and shoot it just because that person was a little faster with the online registration?

To kinda expand a little on what Keith said earlier, registration was opened a week early for Louisiana residents. Louisiana residents are given a week head start or until 100 slots are taken. Then registration opens up for everyone. Take into consideration that many Louisiana shooters will also work the match as ROs and these people will not count towards the 200 plus competitor slots, there are not enough members of the Louisiana section to fill this match up. It's not mathematically possibly. Non section members will have an opportunity to get in.

And before anyone says anything about whether or not I would feel the same way if I wasn't a member of the Louisiana section I found myself on the outside looking in this year for the Mississippi Classic. I mailed my entry Monday morning from Baton Rouge and did not get in. I was disappointed I missed a great match but understood that locals should come first.

Edited by SW4me

Let me answer your question with a question. I live in Louisiana. I am a paid member of 3 clubs that are a part of the Louisiana section. I volunteer as a member of the Board of Directors on one of those clubs. I pay section dues, I come early to set up and tear down matches held in the section, I RO local matches. I participate in range work days, building walls and general maintenance. How fair is it to me that I get left out of my section match in order for someone from Wheeling, WVA to come down and shoot it just because that person was a little faster with the online registration?

To kinda expand a little on what Keith said earlier, registration was opened a week early for Louisiana residents. Louisiana residents are given a week head start or until 100 slots are taken. Then registration opens up for everyone. Take into consideration that many Louisiana shooters will also work the match as ROs and these people will not count towards the 200 plus competitor slots, there are not enough members of the Louisiana section to fill this match up. It's not mathimatically possibly. Non section members will have an opportunity to get in.

And before anyone says anything about whether or not I would feel the same way if I wasn't a member of the Louisiana section I found myself on the outside looking in this year for the Mississippi Classic. I mailed my entry Monday morning from Baton Rouge and did not get in. I was disappointed I missed a great match but understood that locals should come first.

You didn't get in to the Mississippi Classic because of the US Postal Service. We mailed ours the same day but our drop off went straight when yours had to go from Springfield to Baton Rouge to Jackson. You got screwed by the government.

To kinda expand a little on what Keith said earlier, registration was opened a week early for Louisiana residents. Louisiana residents are given a week head start or until 100 slots are taken. Then registration opens up for everyone. Take into consideration that many Louisiana shooters will also work the match as ROs and these people will not count towards the 200 plus competitor slots, there are not enough members of the Louisiana section to fill this match up. It's not mathimatically possibly. Non section members will have an opportunity to get in.

You didn't get in to the Mississippi Classic because of the US Postal Service. We mailed ours the same day but our drop off went straight when yours had to go from Springfield to Baton Rouge to Jackson. You got screwed by the government.

So you didn't care about stealing a MS shooters spot at MS Classic?

So you didn't care about stealing a MS shooters spot at MS Classic?

Brian

The match did not have registration this way. If they would have then we would have waited and only hoped to get in.

This year's Louisiana Gator Classic will be held October 22nd-25th at Southern Shooting Center in Thibodaux, LA and consist of 12 stages, 300+ rounds. [/size]Competitors visit prize table in order of finish. There will be a free jambalaya lunch on Sunday. [/size]Entries for the match will be available to Louisiana Section Members ONLY starting Monday, June 1st 9:00 AM--Friday, June 5th 10:00 PM on [/size]www.practiscore.com (same website as last year)[/size]Once entries close on June 5th, I will settle the entries for LA Section Members and emails will be sent out with approvals. [/size]Then on Monday, June 8th at 6:00 PM Central the entries will go live again for the remaining slots to everyone else. [/size]You will have 14 days to send in payment once approval email is sent (the address to send payment will be in the email sent after the entries are approved on Practiscore) [/size]If payment is not received your spot will be given to the next competitor on the waiting list. [/size]Match fee is $175.00, Women $100, Juniors shoot free[/size]T-Shirts $15.00 max 2 [/size]There will be no trading slots [/size]Please contact Stephanie Martin at [/size]smartin922@gmail.com or [/size]cajunactionshooters@gmail.com with any questions![/size]

Is it just the first 100 slot going to the folks that live in La or the first week of sign up? Thanks

Ok, since I have been replied to and quoted, I will pose a final scenario. A shooter from Magnolia, MS goes to TPS in Amite to shoot and help out and generally be a great asset. Dedicates the time because, for this purpose, the next closest club is xxx miles and a way longer drive.

Are you gonna tell that shooter, who has presumably put in he time in your section that they have to "wait and see" as well because they live 12 miles outside the section, even though they have put in the time to help the club in your section?

Pkt1106, yes, I'd tell them too bad if I were running it. It's louisiana section championship, not louisiana appreciation for people who live out of state and help setup matches.

I realize for the past decade people from all over are used to getting in but the sport has grown since then, and the primary purpose of this match is to serve as the louisiana section championship.

People who are la section members should get first dibs, and if there are spots left over, then and only then should they let other people in.

A relevant real world example is last year on Memorial Day I got a call at 7am the gator registration was open so I hopped out of bed and signed up. I made it in easily, I'm from MS, the gator is the only match I've ever shot in Louisiana. Meanwhile one or two returning LA SEction champions were traveling on the holiday and weren't able to make it in. Guys who shoot every weekend at the local La clubs, pay dues, build props, setup and RO the matches. That signaled the need for change.

Somebody is always getting left out, it should never be the people eligible for section championships. Just my opinion. The match starts at the reloading table, not the registration screen.

I like to shoot state matches all over the southeast. As the sport continues to grow, I realize that probably won't be possible in the future as more state championships are filled by state members. That would be great in my opinion. I can also foresee more major matches that aren't section championships coming along to fill the void.

As for Ms classic, I'd love to see them do the same thing, primarily because I'm from MS and it sucks to sit on pins and needles worrying whether fedex, ups, or usps gets to Steve Roberts house first. It also sucks to see people who have legit shot at section awards miss out because of the post office and then show up and see half the state of Georgia at the match. But that's just the way it is.

By the same token it's not my match and its a whole lot easier for me to armchair MD and tell someone else how they should do things and I just show up on match day to shoot.

If he called me tomorrow and said he rather the ms Classic be the worlds biggest crawfish party and they weren't interested in being the section championship anymore but I'm more than welcome to run a seperate one myself at our range for section championships I'm going to shut my mouth, politely decline, and be first in line at the post office to overnight my MS classic application again next year.

It's obvious from all the posts on this subject here that not everyone is going to agree with any decision made by those putting on the match. As has been said before, I think it's fair, but wish everyone was required to do it the same way. You stand the chance of getting shut out of LA Classic because you're not from LA, but also shut out of your home state MS Classic because you didn't select the quickest way to get it to Steve Roberts's house. LA's way is especially fair if there are only about a 100 section members and no way to fill up the match. If MS Classic wants a wide selection of state representation, then it seems that like LA the first week should be to allow the first x number MS shooters in; then the next week for the rest. I don't know how many MS shooters we have, but agree that a group from GA shouldn't shut out MS Shooters who sent it regular mail, got postmarked the first day possible, but didn't hand deliver it or send it overnight like the GA (or whatever state) guys did. I agree that MS guys should have first dibs on their state shoot. However, like Mosher said, that's just my opinion and I don't run that show, so whatever Steve Roberts and them decide to do, I'll comply with and try my best to get in. Because it's obvious from all the posts above that whatever they decide to do, somebody is not going to be happy!

If this trend takes off Max won't be able to get in other matches. He'll just have to shoot Louisiana State Practical Shooting Association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think max has to worry about getting into any matches.