Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

building your own MKA-1919

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm simply a customer of theirs with no affiliation, but have you compared that economic trade using Tooth & Nail armory parts? My impression was that their completed gun packages were a good value. I'd recommend you check them out. Seems like there are plenty of little gotchas here and there in magazine fed shotguns that could be pains. My Open shotgun is a stock 1919XN that I had a local smith add on plenty of T&N parts. Heck of it is that I haven't even got to sight it in or break it in yet. Nothing like a new shotgun with all the Go Faster stuff that sits unused. Hate that.

Anyway, check them out. They are active on the forum here, also.

Yes to you can enlarge the gas ports. Yes to listening to Matt and Josh about building it. Yes to letting Josh build it if you can. The lightened spring is your friend. My first one needed bigger gas ports and the light spring to feed 1145fps 100%

Yes to you can enlarge the gas ports. Yes to listening to Matt and Josh about building it. Yes to letting Josh build it if you can. The lightened spring is your friend. My first one needed bigger gas ports and the light spring to feed 1145fps 100%

I spent a serious amount of time and money making mine run reliably, if I had to do it all over again I would buy one ready to run from Matt. Or you can experiment until you can make it run but if you don't have a range next door were you can test fire after each modification I would recommend against it. Do yourself a favor and don't use the original bolt carrier or block they last 2000 rounds. Get the one from Matt from the beginning. Get the tromix rings to disable the gas bypass feature and yes you are going to need to drill bigger gas ports also make sure the bolt carrier moves freely in the receiver, most don't so get dremel happy and smooth the sharp edges of the bolt carrier. Don't get a buttstock with too much padding that also prevents consistent cycling in odd shooting positions

From my experience talking to Tooth and Nail, they are very willing to work with you to set up the gun how YOU want it. I have seen a big increase in the number of 1919's in matches around here. The T&N models run. That was my reasons for deciding against picking up a 1919 and upgrading it myself. Slowly putting away for the big purchase, but I know it will be amazing when it happens :goof:

I bought mine from another builder came with an 18 inch barrel and even with the T&N low power spring it would not cycle reliably even with 1200 fps ammo. I finally drilled bigger holes in the gas port and problem is solved. I could not get any support from said builder no answer to emails and phone answering machine it's so full it won't take any more messages. Tooth and nail on the other hand has been incredibly helpful, fast shipping and good prices.

Edited by Mad Doc

I went with a T&N complete gun shortly after they started building them. It's been a great shotgun & their Customer service can't be beat. I will say that it had a few quirks at the start as they were new to the platform also. Matt & Josh never hesitated one bit to listen to me to help diagnose any issue and soon it was running 100% and has been ever since. I have dropped in at their shop several times for modifications or upgrades & Josh dropped everything to work on it while I was there, all the while showing me what was needed and making sure I knew all I needed to maintain my shotgun. Thanks to them I've learned a lot about it.

Whether you choose to build it or buy it they will always bend over backwards to get you the shotgun that you want.

My plan is to put an ACE Skeleton stock on it. I may have to modify the T&N adapter a little. Anyone try an ACE stock?

I put an ACE stock on my MKA 1919but did not like the length. Switched to an adjustable stock. I prefer a shorter LOP on my shotguns. But for my rifle, the ACE stock is perfect.

Bill

At first I had an Ergo F93 stock on my MKA but shortly after I switched to the SAS aluminum lower I switched to he ACE. Now I run an ACE on both my rifle & my MKA.

The shotgun has a short ACE with the 1" butt pad and the rifle has the standard ACE with no butt pad. The angle of the (crappy iPhone) pictures look like there is more length difference but the Shotgun LOP is 12.5" & the rifle is 13".

image_zps53zcxkqs.jpg

image_zpszshk1epq.jpg

Edited by StarvinPilgrim

The ACE is a nice stock but I went the other way, I put a PRS on mine. I wanted the extra weight to help absorb recoil and it seems to balance it out nicely. T&N did all the work on mine and it runs great. If you decide you didn't want to mess with it or if you just can't get it to run right, send it over to them and they'll get it going. Great guys to deal with also!

Got a few issues so far. 1st all the videos I watched show the 2 nuts that hold the barrel on unscrewing the same way. The jam nut on mine is left hand thread. 2nd with the thick piece for the level 10 forend under the guide rod nothing gets tight like it should. I don't know what I am missing. 3rd I need an ambi safety. 4th I thought the t&n trigger would be better but it is heavy as hell like 8 pound pull?

The videos for disassembly are for pre-xn. Xn and match guns have reverse threaded lock nuts. Depending on your guide rod the regulator nut will tighten but some will have a small gap between the regulator nut and lock nut. If yours does put a small oring between the regulator nut and lock nut and tighten. It will hold everything in place and prevent them from backing off. Ambi safeties can be had with an aluminum lower. Trigger should be 6# and crisp. Easily can be made into a 5# with a little tuning. Shoot me a PM or give me a call Monday. I can walk you through some things if needed. We are at Pandemic 3-gun right now will be back in the shop Monday.