Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

building your own MKA-1919

Bill as soon as the floods stop you're welcome to shoot mine. It makes a noticeable difference. After I added the mid-barrel comp I had to go bigger ports then finally lighter spring to get it reliable. I think had I gone with the lighter spring and T&N's guide ride from the jump the gas ports would have been fine. I poor boyed my first build and had to do it piece meal anyways to get it reliable.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are running without a mid-barrel comp 9/64 is as large as I recommend. Factory barrels are slightly under 9/64. Any larger and you will begin outrunning your mag due to being over gassed.

Thank you sir. Sounds like a good rainy day project using a spare barrel in the safe.

Bill as soon as the floods stop you're welcome to shoot mine. It makes a noticeable difference. After I added the mid-barrel comp I had to go bigger ports then finally lighter spring to get it reliable. I think had I gone with the lighter spring and T&N's guide ride from the jump the gas ports would have been fine. I poor boyed my first build and had to do it piece meal anyways to get it reliable.

I will take you up on that offer. It might be a while. I'm headed to Oklahoma for a while after Double Tap. Maybe it will cool down and dry out by the time I get back.

I've got a spare barrel (actually a complete pre-XN parts gun) that I thought about adding a mid-barrel comp if it makes a difference.

Watched a video found on the T&N website that shows more improvement with the comp and 1145 fps shells than I thought it would.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The Tooth and Nail billet lower for the MKA 1919 can use a stock ambi AR safety.

I don't know if this will work with the polymer lower or the Firebird Precision billet lower, but might be a good place to start.

I looked at my FB billet lower (an early manufactured one) and it does not look like the two will fit. The trunion is different.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Who sells an LM choke for it?

Another vote for Carlson chokes. I like the way they are labeled so you can easily grab the right choke out of your case.

Cool, I like the extended chokes. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

It was mentioned to use Win Chokes for the MKA and I went with the Briley extended. It does not screw all the way down due to the longer thread. Is this the right choke? I was also told to get the one marked INVX2 which is the Browning (Invector). If somebody can please confirm. Thank you.

post-3273-0-88208100-1437762823_thumb.jp

FYI there will be a little gap between the choke and the barrel. Are you screwing it in with the choke wrench? With lube? Take a picture of it in the gun. All mine say INV for invector

Thanks for the quick reply, I was using the MKA wrench but also have the Briley. It was getting tight and I don't want to mess up the threads as you can see in the picture it already marked the Briley past the thread. I will take a picture how far down it screws. Thanks again!

Briley's are threaded longer. We have had to re-thread a few barrels so they would accept the briley chokes. Carlson's will screw in no problem.

Thanks for the info... should've gone with the Carlson's then.

Briley's are threaded longer. We have had to re-thread a few barrels so they would accept the briley chokes. Carlson's will screw in no problem.

Thanks for the info... should've gone with the Carlson's then.

For sporting clays I've used Briley chokes exclusively. For the MKA 1919, I went to Carlson's.

The only choke for the MKA I felt I was missing was Briley's "diffusion" choke.. Instead of adding a diffusion choke to the shooting bag, I picked up a few boxes of Fiocchi spreader loads. Works well with cylinder chokes on close static clay pigeons.

Bill

I ordered some pure golds. I hope they work. Sending the gun out tomorrow for a mid barrel brake and some mag tuning.

Got your shotgun yesterday. Got it tuned up and running Federal bulk this morning. Back down for the comp now. Will go back out either today or tomorrow.

Edit to update: Comp is on. Gun runs 100% on Winchester AA 1250fps. Really close to running 1200fps loads as is. Low power recoil spring should put you into the range you are wanting.

Edited by LoganbillJ