Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory match ammo? 9mm for USPSA Production...

Cobra5

Anyone have any experience using Freedom Munitions Supermatch ammo in 124gr 9mm for USPSA production? I'm new to shooting USPSA Production this year, & I need some solid suggestions for factory match ammo to use in my first match coming up in May.

I'm shooting a CZ ACCU-Shadow...

Unfortunately, reloading isn't an option for me at this time.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Cobra5

i have shot atlanta arms 147 and 115 ammo set for making minor pf. i have shot coated and plated 147 competition ammo from automatic accuracy. and then some small purchases from other place that i found on google by looking for ammo made just for minor pf in 9mm.

iirc, freedom is a spin off of x-treme? but i have no experience with their loaded ammo. i have only shot 10 rounds of their 9mm ammo and in my cz it worked great.

i do recommend either of the two i previously mentioned and wouldn't have a problem with freedom either.

Some of the "new: freedom munitions ammo I have seen appear to be plated.

I have seen a few people have light primer issues if they are running lighter springs in their plastic fantastic guns.

Edited by himurax13

When I shot my P226 I settled on Blazer Brass 115gr ammo. It was inexpensive, accurate and more than made PF. My pistol liked the 124gr also, but the 115 was much easier to find.

For steel that had to be knocked over to score, I used Federal 147gr.

Freedom (Xtreme) makes the best plated bullets period. The plating is so thick it is practically jacketed. I have shot plenty of their 40 ammo and it was stiff. 180pf with 180gr bullets . The good thing was the ammo was consistent and every passed a chamber gauge. I can't comment on the specific ammo you are looking at, but Xtreme is one of the good guys in my book and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. If my pistols did not shoot coated lead much better than plated, every bullet would be purchased from Freedom/Extreme.

No personal experience, but a lot of Production shooters including a competitive GM in my club use Freedom Arms ammo. As far as function and PF, I have not heard anything bad about it from them nor anybody else locally. The only complaint otherwise comes from people who pick up the brass, which is that internally stepped IMT/FM/Ammoload stuff that some feel is problematic (though I personally have no qualms about using it for minor PF reloads).

You may want to check out Universal Ammo as well. They make a 9mm for production, and if its as good as their .40 you should be very happy.

I personally had some issues with Freedom .40 reman'd ammo, but their new 556/223 has ran fantastic for me. I have never had an issue with Universal's new or reman ammo. Word of warning though if it matters to you, Universal does not have the option for new or reman. It depends on what brass they have, although the price will reflect if its new or reman - with reman naturally being cheaper. I personally prefer new due to a bad experience with reman in the past, but I'm yet to have a problem with the Universal reman that I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased 500 rounds of Freedom Super Match a couple of weeks back and just had a chance run some today. My VP9 just loves the stuff, very clean and accurate. I ran several brands including: Freedom 115gr remanufactured, WWB 115gr/124gr, UMC 115gr and yes even some Tulammo 115gr. I could easily feel the difference with the Freedom Super Match being the softest shooting and most accurate.

Just my .02 but I will definitely purchase some more for the WA State IDPA match later this year. I reload for everything but for bigger matches, why bother when stuff like this is available.

Western Arms and Ammo out of Utah is good. I shot a case and a half during a class last November. A little stouter than minor (124 gr at 1100 fps). $230/thousand on their website.

Before I started reloading I shot several cases of Aguila 124 gr fmj. Again, stouter than minor but not by a big bunch. I've seen it on sale recently for $230/thousand.

I have been shooting a SP 01 for the last two years and have put over 20,000 rounds of all kinds of factory ammo thru it with no more than a handfull of failures.

I have used most name brands made in the U.S. as well as ammo from Brazil, Mexico, and also Blazer.

Accuracy on all of them is fine for USPSA.

I have been using Freedom munitions 124gr RN in my 2011's. They have performed without any issues. I have had an issue with one magazine and while I have not found the cause but in the process of eliminating the problem I have found that the OAL on their bullets average around 1.155 and 1.156. Be sue to chamber check with your barrel. Other than that I plan to run them until I get my press changed over.

James hit a 10" MGM flasher at 104 yards with the Freedom SuperMatch this past weekend. :)

I shot the SuperMatch in my gun against my reloads and the accuracy was about the same. The recoil was soft too.

Does anybody know the Power Factor of the Blazzer 115 ??

Mj

I have chronoed blazer aluminum case 115gr. It is one of the hotter budget rounds at 133-136 pf. If you want closer to 125 try S&B (127-130) or Winchester white box (123-128). Be careful with the whitebox, I have had lots that didnt even make minor.

I have been shooting a SP 01 for the last two years and have put over 20,000 rounds of all kinds of factory ammo thru it with no more than a handfull of failures.

I have used most name brands made in the U.S. as well as ammo from Brazil, Mexico, and also Blazer.

Accuracy on all of them is fine for USPSA.

Thanks for the info.....I knew those Blazzer were too hot.......same as Lawman 124s

Does anybody know the Power Factor of the Blazzer 115 ??

Mj

I have chronoed blazer aluminum case 115gr. It is one of the hotter budget rounds at 133-136 pf. If you want closer to 125 try S&B (127-130) or Winchester white box (123-128). Be careful with the whitebox, I have had lots that didnt even make minor.

Mj

• 2 months later...

buying match ammo for locals seems a little 'excessive' .... 133-136 doesn't seem to me to be all that 'hot' .... my major ammo is set for 131 & I know a lot of guys who set at 135 just to be safe .... not making PF at a major is not the most pleasant experience you'll ever have ... ask me how I know ....