Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimum mag tube length

jobob

I'm taking my new SLP Mk 1 to Ironman this year, shooting in TS division. I thought some extra tube length would be in order, so I installed a 4 round extension, bringing mag capacity to 12. I can see where the extra capacity may come in handy, but since I can start with only 9 in the gun, the extra cap becomes a little less important. I'd like everyone's opinion on just how worthwhile the extra 3 rounds (had a Nordic +1 on it before) considering the reduction in handling characteristics. I'm thinking of going back to the +1. What are your thoughts?

Dumb question you start with 9 in the gun but are you allowed to add more on/after the buzzer? If you are I'd keep the extra length + 3 tube and load the 3 as soon as the timer goes off if thats legal.

Absolutely keep the +4 extension on there. You start with no more than 9 in the gun, but once the buzzer goes off, GAME ON! There are many occasions that as soon as that buzzer goes off, I stuff 4 more on the tube.

12 round with quad load especially if playing 3 Gun Nation rules, a 10 rounder with weak hand or load 2 is not that bad and it handles easier.

lots of stages you can pick it up load 4 and finish the stage vs having to start and stop mainly on stand and deliver type stages. if you moving its not as big a deal just keep it topped off.

Thanks! Just curious as to what you guys thought. I really don't care for the handling characteristics of the long tube. I've shot matches with a 10 rounder and didn't mind that at all. Those 2 extra rounds out there just seems to make it a different gun. Perhaps a compromise with a +3 round tube would be good. I'll probably stick with the +4 though, for now. Knowing the round counts at Ironman it may be beneficial.

Even if you are limited to only 8+1 rounds in your gun period, there is advantage to at least a 10 round tube. It is easier to stuff those 8 rounds into your shotgun at speed.

With a tuned spring if you are loading 8 in an 8 round tube you still seem to run into more resistance getting #8 into the gun than you do loading #8 into a 10 round tube.

wg

Most people are using 12 as the standard now. With the divisions the way they are now, either 8 or 12 is really the only two reasonable options.

That being said, I like my Benelli the best with a 10 round tube that I plug to run in factory division. Like the post above, its a little easier to load and the mag tube is even with the end of my 24" barrel. I like the way the gun feels a whole lot more than when I run the 12 round tube in practical.

After having a 10 round tube on my M2 for the last 3 years, I just made the switch to 12. In fact I'm still waiting for it to get to my house. Since I started loading quads last year, on at least one or two stages at every match, I'd find myself wishing I had the 12 rounder. If you're loading quads it can be a pretty big advantage, if I was still loading 2, I'd probably just stick with the 10 rounder.

If you haven't shot a stage where the 12 round tube is a disadvantage, you probably haven't been shooting 3 Gun very long. The emphasis on speed in 3 Gun Nation and pretty much open hoser stages dominate matches now and everybody can quad load-so, eventually someone will get around to designing a shoot house stage again with tight turns or tunnel type stages with low ports and hidden targets. Which used to be very common. I am hoping the planned match at the old Blackwater facility comes off, they have enough houses to do all that and more.

Well, I'm at a disadvantage I guess. I haven't invested the time or $ to learn quad-loading. Not even 2 at a time. I'm stuck in that prehistoric Era where we grab 4 and thumb them in one at a time! My shotgun stages could be timed with a calendar!

Load 2 and now quads is something that I have been working with. I bought a Chameleon fabrics vest and now am looking to buy some quad caddies for my belt. I never for the life of me thought I could do the quads until recently after I opened up the loading port on my shotgun. Shotgun handling is actually very fun. Wish I had the money to shoot my shotgun all day long, lol. If a significantly challenged person such as myself can do it, I am sure anyone can.

By challenged I mean mentally and hell, I'm just not that coordinated. I need to practice EVERYTHING I DO! No talent whatsoever! :D

I prefer a 10 round tube. Dump barrels, spring maintenance, handling are some benefits of a 10 over a 12. I have shot one stage this year where a 12 rounds tube would have saved me a second. 10 is advantageous over 9 or 8.

MarkCo, that sounds like pretty sage advice. I love this SLP because of it's light weight and quick handling. Adding a 12 round tube just changes the feel, even empty. And I have a fear of banging it into a shooting port or some other prop. I have a +2 Nordic tube I may change to. My 1st sg for 3gun was a 26" 11-87 that had a 10 round tube and the handling was fine, if a little on the heavy side.

A little off topic here, but does anyone have any idea on how to keep the Nordic tube from unscrewing? I put about 50 rounds through it the other day and tube had backed out of the nut by a half turn or so. The nut itself backed out a little, too. Blue Loctite maybe?

MarkCo, that sounds like pretty sage advice. I love this SLP because of it's light weight and quick handling. Adding a 12 round tube just changes the feel, even empty. And I have a fear of banging it into a shooting port or some other prop. I have a +2 Nordic tube I may change to. My 1st sg for 3gun was a 26" 11-87 that had a 10 round tube and the handling was fine, if a little on the heavy side.

A little off topic here, but does anyone have any idea on how to keep the Nordic tube from unscrewing? I put about 50 rounds through it the other day and tube had backed out of the nut by a half turn or so. The nut itself backed out a little, too. Blue Loctite maybe?

Blue locktite would work, I just tighten everything right before I pre-load.