Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data to make power factor 38 special

Glock34Guy83

I'm steadily getting more and more into shooting my 4 inch 627 pro series. I have 3 choices of powder to use and they are VV N320, Bullseye and Win231. I currently have 158 grain round nose flat points from Xtreme. I am going to be switch to 160 grain RN from bayou or black bullets.

So my question is,

Does anyone have a good load with any of those powders to make power factor and would you mind sharing it?

What powder and how many grains?

What length are you seating too?

I figured I would post here instead of the general reloading section because this is for a revolver.

Thanks for your help.

I just bought a 627 pro. It is a very good revolver. I have some experience with

a 4 inch model 66. I have yet to chrono my normal loads in the pro.

Bullseye is the best powder I have found for 38 special.

WST is a good powder for a very specialized load.

i use a Lee mold 150 round nose with 4 grains of bullseye crimped into the crimp groove of the bullet

in 158 weight berry's bullet 3.8 grains of bullseye with a taper crimp.

I just bought a Lyman mold 160 round nose with a crimp groove.

I am hoping for some good accuracy with it.

Bullseye is the powder I have the least of but I'll give it a shot. I loaded up about 50 rounds tonight with 4.0 grains of Win 231 with an OAL of 1.445. According to the reloading book that I have on hand it should roughly put me around a 130 power factor. I had some loads that had 3.7 grains of win 231 and I was only getting around a 102 power factor. I think I was not crimping enough. I increase my crimp and upped my powder charge and I will chrono these new loads this coming weekend.

I played with W231 a little bit. Didn't like it too much left a fair amount of un-burnt powder in the cylinder and my first load didn't make Minor. I found other powders I liked better so I never finished working up a Minor load but here is the load for what little it worth. Might give you a starting point to work up from:

Bullet: Berry's plated 158gr RN

Primer: Federal Small

Powder: W231

Charge: 4.7 gr

OAL: 1.490

Crimp: 0.373

Avg Vel: 783.7 fps

PF: 123.8 <-fail!

Average of 8rds fired from a 627PC with 5-inch barrel.

I tried to use 231 once when I first started shooting revolver and couldn't figure out how those revolver guys got through a stage because I needed to brush out the cylinder on every reload. There may be a load for .38 Specials that likes 231 but I didn't find it. I used 231 in .40 S&W OK but it's a higher pressure round, in the .38 Special the 231 was about the dirtiest burning powder I ever tried.

I tried to use 231 once when I first started shooting revolver and couldn't figure out how those revolver guys got through a stage because I needed to brush out the cylinder on every reload. There may be a load for .38 Specials that likes 231 but I didn't find it. I used 231 in .40 S&W OK but it's a higher pressure round, in the .38 Special the 231 was about the dirtiest burning powder I ever tried.

I had similar experiences with it Gregg K. I first tried it with several Major 45 ACP loads and they left a lot of unburnt powder in the cylinder. When I got my 627 a friend gave me the load I shared above and said it was a good minor load he had used for years. It didn't make Minor in my 627 and I was not going to buy more W231 to finish working up the load since it also left a lot of unburnt powder in the cylinder. I moved on but the OP wanted W231 loads so I shared.

I once had a 231 load that locked up my Colt .38 in 40 rounds due to unburned powder. I now use VV N320 for a clean burning load. I've shot 200 round matches and could have gone longer. Soot on the outside? Yes. But rather clean in the barrel, cylinder forcing cone area. No grains of powder evident.

I once had a 231 load that locked up my Colt .38 in 40 rounds due to unburned powder. I now use VV N320 for a clean burning load. I've shot 200 round matches and could have gone longer. Soot on the outside? Yes. But rather clean in the barrel, cylinder forcing cone area. No grains of powder evident.

I have about 4 pounds of N320 left. I normally use it for my 9mm loads but if you don't mind sharing your load data I will give it a shot.

Glockguy,

Using a 160 gr Bayou Bullet I started with 3,8 grains of VV N320. It chrono'ed a little low out of my 3" barrel Smith so I bumped it up to 4.0 . I don't remember what it tested at velocity wise but it must have passed the 105,000 threshold out of a 4" test revo.

I'm going to start with Bullseye behind 160gr RN S&S bullets out of my new S&W 627 PC 5". In looking at my books for data I'm only going to have to get to 782 FPS to make minor. I'll be looking for 800-825 FPS to have a margin.

I loaded with Bullseye in 9mm a couple years ago and didn't like the smokiness it produced at indoor matches. That was with a bare lead bullet so I'm hoping for better results with coated bullets.

• 4 months later...

I hate to bring up an old thread but I have 4+ pounds of N350 and I was looking around at load data and I noticed that it can be used in 38 special loads using 160 grain projectiles.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/-38-special-.html

It looks like even at the lowest recommended charge that it gets the bullet moving way over minimum power factor.

I'm thinking about trying to work up a load using N350 to see if it's would be an accurate load or if it's a waste of time. Has anyone tried this before and if so any results? good or bad?

Using 160gr "Black and Blue" (RN coated bullets) I average 830fps (132pf) using 3.6gr of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.475

Using 158gr Berry (RN plated) takes a little more juice ... I average 797fps (126pf) using 4.0gr of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.475

Both of these were measured using a 5" 627.

I hate to bring up an old thread but I have 4+ pounds of N350 and I was looking around at load data and I noticed that it can be used in 38 special loads using 160 grain projectiles.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/-38-special-.html

It looks like even at the lowest recommended charge that it gets the bullet moving way over minimum power factor.

I'm thinking about trying to work up a load using N350 to see if it's would be an accurate load or if it's a waste of time. Has anyone tried this before and if so any results? good or bad?

I believe you will find n350 a little slow for making minor power factor. It's fine for major and I use it for bowling pin loads in 38 special pushing a 235 grain tootsie roll.

I tried 5.0 grains of N350 with a 160 grain bayou bullet at a o.a.l. of 1.55 and I had a bunch of yellowish unburnt powder left in the cases. I was getting 1.5 - 2.5 inch groups at 15 yards standing out of a 4" 627 pro.

I'll be trying a different load with bullseye powder tomorrow

I tried 5.0 grains of N350 with a 160 grain bayou bullet at a o.a.l. of 1.55 and I had a bunch of yellowish unburnt powder left in the cases. I was getting 1.5 - 2.5 inch groups at 15 yards standing out of a 4" 627 pro.

I'll be trying a different load with bullseye powder tomorrow

Usually means you don't have enough pressure to get complete combustion. N350 is slower than most use in low power pistol loads.