Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI High Primers

gerritm

I made the switch from a Lee Progressive to a Dillon 650. Absolutely love it, so much faster and easier to use.

Only problem I have had since starting and making about 1K--9mm 115gr Extreme Plated bullets with 4.1gr Titegroup, CCI SPP @ 1.12 for my Glock 17 minor open 3-gun pistol. I have had a few high primers, not so high that you can readily see them, but just enough to not cycle the slide or let it close. A couple were obvious and I pulled them when I do my final check by dropping each one in a Lyman case gauge. These made it by my visual check.

Is there a depth adjustment to set them a little deeper? Could not find anything in the instruction manual. I try to make sure on the up/back stroke that I push hard to seat them. The loading bench is sturdy and does not move.

Any help is appreciated.

gerritm

In my opinion the primers are not your problem. If you can't "readily see" a high primer then it won't prevent a slide from closing. The depth on the 650 is not readily adjustable and mine seats everything just fine if I do my part. If you are indeed pushing hard and they are not seating enough you probably are encountering crimped pockets.

What headstamp? and are the failures all the same headstamp?

Probably military crimped pockets. They just typically won't go in all the way no matter what.

This is why I inspect and sort all of my brass. You eventually learn what brass to look out for and either prep it or toss it.

Not pushing at same pressure to the top.... and crimped brass are likely culprits.

Extra step during inspection will find them all....and you can do this while zoning out in front of the TV. Stand up you finished rounds on a hard flat surface. The ones that wobble or rock will have high primers. I would get a few every hundred when I first started loading. After culling brass and getting more comfortable with my 650XL I have rarely had a high primer seat.

Not pushing at same pressure to the top.... and crimped brass are likely culprits.

Extra step during inspection will find them all....and you can do this while zoning out in front of the TV. Stand up you finished rounds on a hard flat surface. The ones that wobble or rock will have high primers. I would get a few every hundred when I first started loading. After culling brass and getting more comfortable with my 650XL I have rarely had a high primer seat.

Thank you for this. I checked all 500 or so rounds that I had left on a glass top table and found 2 or 3 that the primers were definitely a too high and rocked badly and maybe 10-15 that were suspect. All of them on quick inspection looked OK. The bad ones will go into the recycle shells and the the suspect one I will shoot in practice. Good last step for checking my match ammo.

I will check the shell plate.

gerritm

Probably shot well over 200,000 CCI primers without an issue. Something else is going on, and would believe you are not used to running the 650 yet, having just switched from the Lee.

About your glass top table testing:

The suspect ones are probably cases with bent heads from rough extractors/poorly timed pistols.

They may not allow your gun to go completely to battery or cause feeding/extracting problems and should be disassembled and dumped.

About your glass top table testing:

The suspect ones are probably cases with bent heads from rough extractors/poorly timed pistols.

They may not allow your gun to go completely to battery or cause feeding/extracting problems and should be disassembled and dumped.

I want to try and shoot them just to see what the limits are to see for future shells. Most of the bad ones are the WCC headstamp.

gerritm

Probably shot well over 200,000 CCI primers without an issue. Something else is going on, and would believe you are not used to running the 650 yet, having just switched from the Lee.

I am sure it is not the primers. I have used many of them before. With the Lee you can adjust the depth of the primer and make sure it is seated completely with almost any brass. Never had a high primer issue with either Lee. Many many other problems with them though. Would not trade the ease and reliability of the Dillon for anything the Lee does better or different. Just need to know the machine better by making bullets.

gerritm

Make sure you have the primer seat correctly installed. Take a pair of adjustable pliers and after loosening the set screw, compress as far as it will go down. Tighten set screw. Let pressure off pliers.

When seating primers, use a slower positive stroke. Push firmly so the primer has a chance to line up in the pocket and make sure you push as far as you can.

I just went through this problem , but all my primers were seating high ......we explored all kinds of possibilities .....after help from a fellow poster I found my primer seating assembly had come loose.........it drove me crazy......removed , cleaned and tightened up ......off and running.....

A loose shell plate can cause this. Needs to be loose enough to rotate but not much up or down movement. Might check yours.

I had this issue with my 650. I thought it was because I was using Winchester brand primers while loading 45 ACP but I was wrong, the shell plate was too loose. I snugged it up a little, a little more than finger tight and boom, solved the problem.

I can't find the post, but Brian has advised that on a Dillon you need a two step stroke. When you feel the primer on the upstroke of the handle, you hesitate then push hard.

I can't find the post, but Brian has advised that on a Dillon you need a two step stroke. When you feel the primer on the upstroke of the handle, you hesitate then push hard.

Loaded about 500 more last night using this type of technique and keeping myself more square to the handle using even pressure then pushing hard at the end. Checked all of them and had only 1 that was marginal, but probably OK. Also snugged the shell plate with an allen wrench till it wouldn't turn and then backed it of till it moved freely. All of this has helped, thanks.

gerritm

Loaded about 500 more last night using this type of technique and keeping myself more square to the handle using even pressure then pushing hard at the end. Checked all of them and had only 1 that was marginal, but probably OK. Also snugged the shell plate with an allen wrench till it wouldn't turn and then backed it of till it moved freely. All of this has helped, thanks.

gerritm

And you locked it down with the set screw right?

I just went through this problem , but all my primers were seating high ......we explored all kinds of possibilities .....after help from a fellow poster I found my primer seating assembly had come loose.........it drove me crazy......removed , cleaned and tightened up ......off and running.....

THIS! In addition regardless of how new your press is... get a small inexpensive grease gun and lube your lever arm fittings. Ensuring they are sufficently lubed will increase leverage and sensitivty when operating the lever.