Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

springfield hi-cap, for limited

G+16

long time viewer, first time caller: Will be picking up new 45 acp in a.m. springfield Px9707L model for limited comp, any options for barrel change, and better sights? :huh: have shot L-10 last year, rookie at limited, any help would be nice :rolleyes:

This is basically a Para design, so heres my 2 cents:

You could shoot it as is with a few 14 round mags if you want, but to fit it out for Limited class, without breaking the bank I'd, IMHO:

Get some good para mags with good springs/followers, and polish the snot out of the insides (or plate them to make them slippery), and add Grams Engineering base pads to get your capacity up to 18. Mags are critical in para design guns.

Most people seem to lean towards Bomar type adjustable sights with a dovetail blade front.... have them milled into your slide. If Fixed sights are your thing, Heinie and Novak are 2 good choices. But I'd go with adj. Bomars and A Dawson fiber optic front sight (if you like optic sights), so you can tune your load and adj your sights.

Ad a magwell of some kind - S&A, but I really like the Dawson mag well for a Para - it doesn't require milling the frame, and has a better opening.

Mild trigger job if it needs it (and I suspect it does!).

Maybe some skateboard tape on the grip/front strap if you like -

Other than that, leave it alone....

Don't change the barrel or other parts until you wear them out. Spend the rest of your money on ammo, shoot it til the wheels fall off.

Someday maybe new trigger and lock parts, 2 pouund trigger job, new barrel, refit the slide, hard chrome etc.... but you don't need that now. And I suspect by the time youv'e shot this gun long enough to need a new barrel, you might want a new gun anyway ;)

I started with a Para P-14 (good deal used). There was no L-10 when I started with this gun. It eventually wound up with an STI slide and Schuemann bull barrel in .40. for limited. In between that, I got a P-16 for limited and then built the new .40 on the P-14 frame. (the P-16 has morphed into a open gun) I use the Dawson magwell on both. I probably would of followed the flock and got an S_I but by then some stupid laws had kicked in and I had failed to gather the now outlawed parts. I think the trigger job and the sights should be a good place to pause on upgrades and go shoot a bunch. I use Bomars and tried a Dawson fiber on front but went back to the simple ramp.

I have some experience with .45 high caps. Like sfinney says, polish the snot out of them. Since the entire case of the cartouche rides on the inside of the tube, ANY dirt will screw you up. Super polish, clean. I use some silicone lube on the inside also. And at the match, clean the tube after every stage or at least every time a mag hits the ground! You may consider getting the mags tuned by Beven Grams. He polishes the tubes, re-forms them to dimensional spec, adds round count holes and hard chromes the tubes. 18 + 1 in the gun!

What ever you do, get the gun running reliably. There is more than enough in a match to do without having to worry about the gun working. Malfunctions just plain suck! :angry:

Good shooting,

Chuck

PS: Did Springfield stop making high caps?

morning:Thanks for all the replys, my 45 has'nt arrived yet, coming to my ffl with his monthly shipment (saved shipping) thanks sfinney going mostly with your suggestions, put a dawson fiber opic on my springfield L-10 for last match of last year seemed to help (eyes getting old) :blink: ordered bomar ad.sights with tit.

from brownells and will order fiber opic from dawson. will is dawson ice magwell fit? CDNNINVESTMENTS.COM are marketing a s.a. 14 rd mag for 29.99 and a par-ord for 39.99 if anyone is looking, questions now the the gun ban is gone is it still ILLEGAL to build your own mags from parts?????also I got my 45 from jerrys sport center in P.A. pg 45 of current cat. 439.95 best deal I could find and I've been looking for awhile, sale ends Apr 15th (SFGPX9707L)

keep those suggestions coming :rolleyes:

I just got a killer deal on a Para P14 with a TON of Wilson upgrades, haven't shot it yet, but I may in a steel match this weekend. Good thing I got fat...er..large hands. :D

I really like your SA, I plan on getting one soon, they just look great as well as perform. Since we are talking PARA, here is what my P14 came with, besides upgrading to a competition hammer and sear from Wilson and the sights, I think i'm good to go. Any thoughts?

.45ACP

stainless steel.

(1) 10rnd Para Ordnance mag

(4) 14rnd Para Ordnance mags

Wilson's Beavertail Grip safety

Chip McCormick Thin Tactical Ambi Safety Levers

Wilson Serrated & Adjustable Lightweight Aluminum Trigger

Wilson/Dwyer Group Gripper Full Length Guide Rod

Wilson's stainless steel Arched & Checkered Mainspring Housing - $46.00

Chip McCormick blued steel mag release button

They are selling the HC in a WW II  mil-spec this year. The front strap is rounder than the  first models.

Rich

Went to the gun show today and saw an actual "G.I." version of the Hi-Cap, different from mine, it had the G.I. slide (low profile sights, high ejection port, vertical serrations) and a standard grip safety & spur hammer... And about a $100 less than what I spent for mine.

Morning all:MAD AS OLD WET HEN :angry::angry::angry::angry: , FFL normal monthly supply arrived on 1st. NO PISTOL, they said they made a mistake!!!!!!!!,

on the hunt again for one, any one know of one for sale?

thanks for all the imput on the project that STILL is not off the ground.

mike

FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:D:lol::rolleyes::) , PICKED UP YESTERDAY AFTERNOON, gun shop that I've been in contact with found me one in another gun shop, but it's the one without the bever tail, so adding that to list. magwell, fiber opic, bomar already ordered, someone out their is looking out for me. :rolleyes:

Got this today from Springfield when I inquired about them making the Hi Cap in 40S&W. Thought it would be relevant and of interest to this discussion.

Hello Marvin,

Not for the 2005 production schedule but possibly for 2006.

Thank you for your interest in our Springfield Inc. products.

Teresa Anseeuw

Customer Service

Springfield Inc.

420 W Main St

Geneseo, IL 61254

800-680-6866

So what's this? Is it 2006 already????

NEW '05 Leatham Legend Trophy Match PI9146L (Image)

Caliber: .40 ACP

Capacity: 16+1

Barrel: 5", Match Grade

Sights: Fully-Adjustable Rear with Dawson Fiber Optic Front

Sight Radius: 6.5"

Size: 38 ozs., 8.5" overall length

Trigger Pull: 4.5 to 5.5 lbs.

Magazines: 2

Additional Features: Match Grade Fitted Barrel and Bushing

Dawson Magazine Well

Checkered Front Strap

MSRP: $

The picture was HUGE so here's a link to it:

Hi Cap Springfield .40

So what's this? Is it 2006 already????

NEW '05 Leatham Legend Trophy Match PI9146L (Image)

I probably should have mentioned I asked about production pistols. I figure the custom shop can/will crank out about anything you ask of them. I would really like to see how much they are MSRPing the HiCap Leatham for...

How did you find the picture of theat pistol AkiDale? I tried to find it through the regular sight and it was nowhere to be found.

Thanks for the info!

good morning. I e-mailed S.A., after the nationals last year, and deb else e-mailed me a complete decrision of bob's gun used at the nationals (40-Hi-Cap)

she said msrp between 2200 and 3000 depending on your specs oh and about a 6-month wait. I was hoping they would come out with a 40 hi-cap sometime that most people can afford to buy and fix up like what i'm doing with my new 45. :D:P

I'd go to his sight robleatham.com to see what's he's using in competition.

I'm not certain it is entirely current because I though he used a 6" last year however it does demonstrate a little that he uses different gear than the stock TGO gun from the shop.

And, having shot with him for a while, what he's using today isn't what he's using tomorrow ;) The guy is always looking for something better. Its an addiction!!!!!

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all: project is still on going, parts,parts,parts, forgot winter time is when everyone builds their guns, Waiting on Bo-Mar adj.sights with trit. from brownells:

allready have: pistol

barzo's fiber opic, thanks allan stevens

dawson mag well

s/a grip saftey

wilson slide release

chip mccormick ext. mag catch

ed brown two-piece guide rod

wilson competition match trigger

wolff 16.5 spring

two 14-45 mags

two springfield 14 rounders

hogue grips

three grams eng. base kits

most of these componts if've used on one 45 or the other and they are worked just fine ;) , just waiting on bo-mar and my gunsmith's shop, anyone think of anything that's i missed or forgot, the smithy also going to polish the feed ramp and throat the barrel, damn all this and i have'nt even put the first round thur it yet

later

mike :rolleyes: